American Idol Season 8, 2009 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Seacrest asked Adam on Larry King Live this evening about Queen. Adam admitted that Queen had a conversation with him. Adam said he'd love to go out on the road with them. He wasn't sure of the logistics as the Top 10 are all currently tied in to contracts with 19 Entertainment which includes the 50 date Idol, Summer 2009 tour.

2. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I watched that last night too. Didn't you think the blind guy talked way too much? I would have liked to have heard more from Megan and Allison.

3. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I think Adam sounded cool with what is left of Queen. But, sorry, the day an AI contestant becomes the new hope for reviving Queen is the day the whole thing has jumped the shark. No one should be trying to rebuild Queen without Freddy... period.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I understand what you're saying Johnny, but don't you think it only prolongs and extends the tragedy of Freddy's death to maintain that Brian and Roger should never perform together playing Queen music again if they find an appropriate replacement. It's their music too. As long as they don't simply call it "Queen" without any qualifier, it shouldn't be a problem and I'm sure Freddy would agree.

I had the same feeling last year when it became known that Page Jones and Bonham Jr. were planning on forming a new band once Robert Plant refused to continue working with them. They said they weren't going to call it Led Zeppelin but people went absolutely aps#!t over the notion that they would dare perform together without Plant. It's their music too and they have a right to play it together just as long as they don't pretend they're something they're not. Same goes for Brian and Roger. Yes Queen was very much Freddy Mercury, but it was every bit as much that quirky, sustained Brian May guitar sound and Roger Taylor's drums (and occasional vocals).

I think a collaboration with Queen would be a tremendous choice for Adam.

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I dont mind Adam singing with them. Or them performing Queen songs. Its peopes mindsets that this could ever come close to what they had with Freddy. More power to them to get up and rip out the Queen tunes with all the heart and soul. But people can get unrealistc at times. Even in the Zep thread people were pondering thoughts about them making some sort of great studio album together. I will admit that a flicker of what once was did happen at o2 .... but thats it. Done.

There is a certain time to catch the flame and run with it and you cant get that or anything like it back. IMO of course.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Again, I understand what you're saying but at the same time, I don't think these old rockers should just retire if they feel they have music to make, nor should they be prevented from doing so just because they can't perform the way they did in 197x. In the case of Queen, obviously Freddy is no longer available. Adam Lambert is no Freddy Mercury, but he's an exceptionally talented singer who "fits" the role of a guest Queen frontman quite well. The Paul Rodgers thing was interesting and they put on a heck of a fine show, but the album wasn't very exciting.

Of course it would depend on what Adam could bring to the table besides the voice and the sense of theatre. Songwriting ability would help.

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Kris Allens win sullied by ATT?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/business/media/27idol.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Representatives of AT&T helped fans of Mr. Allen at the two Arkansas events by providing instructions on how to send 10 or more text messages at the press of a single button, known as power texts. Power texts have an exponentially greater effect on voting than do single text messages or calls to the show’s toll-free phone lines. The efforts appear to run afoul of “American Idol” voting rules in two ways. The show broadcasts an on-screen statement at the end of each episode warning that blocks of votes cast using “technical enhancements” that unfairly influence the outcome of voting can be thrown out.

And the show regularly states that text voting is open only to AT&T subscribers and is subject to normal rates.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I guess AI didn't follow their own policy very well or they would have discarded such power texts.

Kinda sounds like sour grapes to me. Kris won. Adam didn't. If the vote wasn't close as has been implied and there were over 100 million votes case, then power texting from some Arkansas fans was literally a drop in the bucket.

Time for people to get over it. If you prefer Adam, support his career choices. If Kris, support his. The local hits radio station was saying last night that every time they play Adam's version of No Boundaries, they get a bunch of calls from irate Kris fans and every time they play the Kris version, it's the Adam fans who freak out.

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Personally i considered Lambert a ringer.

10. :agree:

11. Chris R

Nigel Lythgoe announced on this evening's broacast of So You Think You Can Dance that in memory of Michael Jackson, American Idol is making the unprecedented move of re-broadcasting an AI episode. American Idol Season 8's, Top 13 show, which was the songs of Michael Jackson, will be rebroadcast next Monday evening, June 29, 2009 on FOX.

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Is that suppose to be good?

13. Chris R

What exactly does that mean? :confused: I supposed FOX executives/programmers thought it was a good idea.

14. Chris R

Comments from the original March 10, 2009 broadcast of the Michael Jackson songs American Idol episode.
    :laugh: In re-watching the episode I don't think she was looped or anything.
    Paula went gaga after Adam finished singing "Black Or White". I thought it was an inspired performance but not near the best he sang during the season. Simon had to politely tell her to dial it back a bit, as there were still several weeks left. :laugh:

I also thought there were several marginal performances including:

Lil Rounds - "The Way You Make Me Feel"
    Michael Sarver - "You Are Not Alone"
    Anoop Desai - "Beat It"
    Jorge Núñez - "Never Can Say Goodbye"

15. Chris R

It's been briefly reported on a couple of infotainment Web sites and Wikipedia that all four judges will be back for Season 9, January 2010 despite rumours that Kara DioGuardi would not be returning and Paul Abdul's contract was not being renewed.

Auditions are already underway. They started in Boston in mid-June.

Attached Files:

16. I'm not sure if this is good news, somehow I didn't quite enjoy the 4 judge set-up.

17. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think Kara's cute so I don't mind. I probably would mind if Randy and Paula actually had something interesting left to say. They were horrendous all season long.

18. shokhead

Cute? Really? Never crossed my mind. Maybe it's how she dresses.

19. Manager: Paula Abdul 'Hurt,' 'Angry,' May Not Return To 'Idol'

David, who said that he became Paula's manager just weeks ago, at the end of June, added that he has yet to receive a proposal for a new contract for Paula.
    "I find it under these circumstances particularly unusual; I think unnecessarily hurtful," he said. "I find it kind of unconscionable and certainly rude and disrespectful that they haven't stepped up and said what they want to do."

Hurtful? Unconscinable? Really?

David's remarks come on the heels of the news of show host Ryan Seacrest's new contract, a reported $45 million, three-year deal that makes him the highest-paid reality host on television.

Ah, now I understand. ;)

Here is the full story
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv...abdul-hurt-angry-may-not-return-idol-20090718;

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Show biz posturing at its "best"... :rolleyes:

21. Chris R

Paul Abdul leaving 'American Idol'

Finally, the web site is back up. :)

It's official. Paula Abdul is not coming back for the 2010 American Idol season, contrary to previous reports that all 4 judges were on for next season.

Paul Abdul leaving 'American Idol'

22. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

You could see that one coming with the announcement last year that Kara would be joining. If you are sitting in your cube and someone comes by to introduce a new co-worker that looks like you and does the same type of work, wouldn't you worry a bit?

As for Paula pushing for a raise, I don't get it. You are rescued from post-80s obscurity by this show and you have a viable income as a result. Then they offer you a 3-year $10 million contract extension.....and you feel insulted? I fear that Ms. Abdul is about to slip into post-00s obscurity in short order.

Some stuff just makes you shake your head.....

23. Chris R

I hear you. For the little folk like us it's a :wtf:.

However, there's probably more to the story at the back end that they're not telling us.

24. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

It isn't even the money. For us, $10 million is enough for the rest of our lives. But it may not be so for folks who have ratcheted up their lifestyle as the income has increased.

My issue is that no one on the planet would remember who PA is had it not been for Idol. She was given a second chance at a spotlight career! To turn it down over money - when the show clearly demonstrated that there WAS competition, seems a bit myopic.

We'll see how the next season unfolds. Kara added a bit of edge to the proceedings. With PA gone, that edge might be a bit much.

And good luck finding a crop of contestants as good or compelling as last season's......

25. shokhead

That's right. If your use to a lifestyle of poor then you just don't need much but if you are use to her lifestyle then 3@10m isn't worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.