American Idol Season/Series 10, 2011 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ivan_wemple, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member Thread Starter

We'll be needing a thread for this.

Anyone catch the premiere? For me, the jury is still out on the new judging panel.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I DVR'd the first episode, so I will watch it later.

3. ivan_wemple

I know it's early, but I did not miss Simon Cowell as much as I thought I would.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Watched 2/3 of it with my daughter. I didn't miss the old judges at all. I just hope tyler & jlo get tougher skin to say no to the nice contestants who ain't gonna survive Hollywood.

5. JohnG

The problem remains the talent of lack of. Once the show starts here comes the awful singing that the judges actually let thru to Hollywood. Rachel Zevita??

Love the production values of the show and Tyler is fun to listen to, at least at this point.

The Dawg looks weird next to the two superstars.

6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Tyler is much more calmer than I expected him to be. I thought he'd be pretty obnoxious but so far he isn't too bad (except for drooling over young contestants). He kind of gets this diva look at times that I find entertaining.

7. JohnG

They;ve let a lot of crap get through. Ashley Sullivan singing a song from Throughly Modern Millie?? Dear God.

8. Have to see if it runs tonight here in the UK, I'm really waiting for X Factor to come along but might at least take a look at the first few rounds.

9. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Tyler was great, Lopez, eye candy. I hope she has more to add then what she did last night. Randy was along for the ride last night. Will see how it goes tonight.

10. ivan_wemple

Yup. Clearly he was just kicking back, letting the new judges get their feet wet.

11. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Randy's been along for the ride since season 1.

12. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I really enjoyed Steven. It was as if J Lo forgot that she would eventually have to say "No" to the people she let through the Hollywood.

I also couldn't figure out their location last night. They said "The Meadowlands" and also said "Jersey City" and showed the NYC skyline but not from The Meadowlands, which is in Secaucus.

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Better than expected.

Didn't miss Simon once.

It was fun.

:)

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I watched it last night... haven't been a fan since the Carrie Underwood year, but I tune in now and again to see what's new, etc.

With all the changes I wouldn't think this could go on much longer, but I'll be damned if those turn-outs aren't bigger than ever.

Fox should milk every last drop out of that cash-cow... even if it does go WAY down hill.

15. JohnG

Looked like the Hyatt Regency hotel near the Hudson in Jersey City.

http://www.jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Its directly across from where the WTC was.

16. JohnG

What if they gave a talent contest and nobody judged?

Anyone interested in finding out could have tuned into Wednesday night's season debut of "American Idol."

The first time new gatekeeper Jennifer Lopez had to face the essential task of delivering less than sunny news, she threw up her hands and cried, "This is awful. I can't do this."

Even if a contestant had the voice of a deaf yak, she would simply look away, or default to a "deer-in-the-headlights" stare.

Full story at NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...nnifer_lopez_shy_away_from_bad_news_sing.html

[​IMG]

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Jennifer Lopez can barely sing, so perhaps deep down she knows there's little ground to stand on when telling folks they can't sing!!!

...though it never stopped Paula Abdul.

18. JohnG

But she's a triple threat! :D

19. JohnG

In other bad news for Idol:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110120/en_nm/us_americanidol

"American Idol" loses viewers despite make-over

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A revamped "American Idol" dominated U.S. television on its first outing but lost millions of viewers despite the addition of celebrity judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler.

Some 26.1 million Americans tuned in for the 10th season premiere of the singing contest, down 13 percent on last year's opening show when nearly 30 million watched, according to Nielsen ratings data on Thursday.

The numbers still crushed all other programing on Wednesday night. But after weeks of hype and curiosity over what producers called "a new era," the numbers boded ill for hopes of restoring sparkle to the aging show and reversing a four years ratings slide.

Television critics were mostly unimpressed with their first glimpse of Lopez and Aerosmith front man Tyler as they weeded out good singers from the thousands of early auditions -- without the caustic presence of British judge Simon Cowell.

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Looks like Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez have the same hair stylist.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I'm looking forward to watching it tonight or sometime this weekend. I'm not committed to keeping up with Idol this year, though, given the lack of talent among the contestants last year and the uninteresting judges panel now. I figure I'll watch a few episodes and then decide if I want to keep watching. If not, I'll tune back in when they have narrowed things down to the top 10 to see if there's actually anyone who can sing this year.

21. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I watched for 20 minutes and then I had to turn it off. I could not stand Steven Tyler making that screech/scream noise every few minutes. Very annoying. I never thought I'd miss Paula, but I'd take her over him now any day.

22. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Horrible in every way. Steven Tyler, in real life, made a fool out of himself. And any show where Randy Jackson is the most reliable judge is going to fail. Turned it off after a few minutes of screaming and attempts by the show to make it out like things were going to be better than ever. It's not. Simon was the man and was the show.

23. But Steven could do with a face lift. ;)

24. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I liked it. I thought that both Tyler and Lopez showed knowledge of music, unlike some of the judges in the past, and were generally appealing. I enjoyed it much more than the past two seasons.

I think that Lopez's difficulty with saying "no" is one of those overhyped American Idol things which was highly exaggerated to make the show seem more "dramatic". It is only one of many such phony promotional devices on the show in recent years.

25. No worries, X Factor is coming soon and I always liked it better than Idol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.