American Idol Season/Series 10, 2011 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ivan_wemple, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I think Lauren & Scotty are going to make to the finals. They are the only
    ones that have been consistent week after week.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Haley's just a closet hippie chick. :D She was doing an important "message" song her way. Anyway, she should have held back the screaming until after the choir joined in. But what the hell, the masses definitely need to be screamed at right now. Haley nailed the second number.

At this point, I'm pretty tired of "youngblood" Scotty, and Lauren needs to go back home and sing beautifully at a high school prom. ;)

Is Jason a one trick pony? Early on I thought this guy might surprise us with some Dio or Gillan...but he's gone all Steve Perry and Tony Jackson on us. :D

They've been consistently boring me week after week; but I'm afraid you might be right. Those two could find a home in country music. Afterall, Sheryl Crow already said she wants to worm her way into Scotty's country career.

3. I feel the same way but we might be in the minority.

4. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Send Scotty home please.

I thought James (Jason ;)) would have done a better job with the Journey tune but he resorted to his usual screaming and his take on Love potion #9 was pretty bad too.

It seems that Haley is the whipping boy/girl so she'll probably get booted, unfairly I think, but A.I. voting never really makes sense.

So Scotty is my choice to get the boot.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I find Scotty's mugging to be hard to watch in general, but mated with a humorous song, it was downright painful. I can't believe the judges had nothing even mildly critical to say about it. On the other hand, I thought his performance of the Alan Jackson song was one of his best to date.

6. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

MJ's Earth Song is one of those rare songs where it sounds great on record but does not necessarily translate well to a live performance. This is why (perhaps) you never see McCartney performing Uncle Albert\Admiral Halsey. I think Haley never had a chance with this song. Also working against her was the way she bristled when hearing Randy's criticisms, that may turn off the voters. Her performance on the second song was stunning. She really hit that one out of the park.

7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think that Scotty and Lauren are getting the blocks of Southern, conservative and country voters, which should sweep them both into the final. However, Lauren was in the bottom two last week--maybe those groups are just voting for the cute boy. Could Scotty have pandered any more to his demographic than he did, with his "I'm a dumb Christian who is troubled by 9/11" song?

I think that Haley and James most clearly deserve to keep going, but they might be too weird for mainstream American voters. At this point, I think that all four of them will have a recording career anyway.

After Kris Allen's win a few seasons ago, and Lee Dewyze's win last year, I have given up on the thought that the final weeks of voting will make any sense.

8. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'd actually NOT watch that final pairing. i hope they are the next two to go. bleh to both.

9. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

After the show ended I pulled out the Steve mastered SACD on Audio Fidelity and listened to The Searchers' version just to get James' version out of my head.

10. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I predict James and Hayley in the bottom two. James picked two uptempo songs and performed them in the same over-the-top screaming style (a heavy-metal version of Love potion #9?). Scotty's instinct on the first song was brilliant, did not expect that at all, and he knows how to show the audience different sides of him. Both girls are trying hard, obviously Haley picked a first song that was way too big for her vocal abilities (liking a song and having the ability to perform it are two different things). For me the only artists that know who they are and are performing consistently are Scotty and Lauren, which are my picks for the final.

11. Oh ****.
    Lauren
    is in the Top 3. :shake:

12. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

this was a spoiler. look below.

I wish Casey had made it to the 2 song rounds. He had flaws but wasn't boring.

13. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Ok, now I see how to do that. Yes I agree. F Bomb! Not looking good for another Idol hopefull.:sigh:

14. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Lauren first in the top 3, not looking good for Haley...hope I'm wrong and Scotty McYawnYawn goes home.
    But I'm never right with this stuff. Maybe XXXXX survives and XXXXX gets a
    Daughtry

15. Excellent idea David. :righton: I have both the SACD and LP.

As previously mentioned, James' rendition of "Love Potion No. 9" was awful. I wouldn't be shedding too many tears if he got sent home tonight.

BTW, my vote went to Haley and Lauren for the duets tonight. They toally beat the guys.

16. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Jordin Sparks won American Idol? I thought she lost to Soul Patrol?

17. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Steve Tyler's new song. Do the Do????

Do I detect an attempt at a Mt Dew ad campaign?

18. She looked great. Has lost weight. Not so sure about the song. Most of it sounded as if it was lip synced.
    :laugh: That's the first thing I thought of. :righton:

19. Ya BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodie:
    Haley
    is also in the Top 3!!!!! So is
    Scotty.

James
    is going home. Bye bye.

Thanks America, for getting it right again. :)

20. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Yea. Steve Tyler's song was awesome!! A new anthem for a new generation!!

No, I was lying. That song sucked. Haley is safe. My guess is James goes home, but only because I can't believe Scotty Mc BoreBore goes home with his dulcet country tones

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Another year in which the best and most consistent singer doesn't win and leaves early.

Steven Tyler's new single reminds me of something John Mellencamp would've sung in the late '80s or early '90s.

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Soul Patrol (Taylor Hicks) was the year before her and beat out the likes of Kellie Pickler and Chris Daughtry.

23. We can debate that later after our friends in the Mountain and West Coast time zones have seen the show.
    It was all right, a bit of toe tapper.

24. Randy and Jennifer should be ashamed of their critique on Haley's first song last night. Glad that the voters listened for themselves and not to the critiques. Steven Tyler was the only judge, IMHO who "got" Haley's cover of the Michael Jackson album track.

Apologies for all the blue. We don't want to spoil it for the Mountain/West Coast feed in 2 hours.

25. Along with the likes of Mandisa Hundley, Elliott Yamin and Katharrine McPhee :love: who finished 2nd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.