American Idol Season/Series 9, 2010 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Ladies and gentlemen start you engines.

From Wikipedia.

The ninth season of American Idol will premiere on January 12, 2010, on Fox. Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi will all return as judges, and Ellen DeGeneres will permanently replace Paula Abdul as the fourth judge. On January 11, 2010, Simon Cowell announced that the ninth season of the show would be his last as a judge. Idol Gives Back will also return this season and will be held on April 21, 2010, during the top 7 results show. The top 24 semi-finals format used in fourth through seventh seasons will also return this season.

It was recently confirmed that this will be Simon Cowell's final season as he will leave to helm the American version of The X Factor.

The United Kingdom is broadcasting the season starting from the 13th and 14th January 2010 on ITV2 (ITV was the network that broadcast the original Idols franchise in 2001), on a same-day delay basis after the American broadcast. In Asia, it is coming live via satellite on STAR World (also owned by News Corp) on January 13.

Abdul replacements

Paula Abdul will not return as a judge. Therefore, Victoria Beckham, Katy Perry, Mary J. Blige, Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris and Kristin Chenoweth will be guest judges during the auditions. Fox chairman Peter Rice stated that they would find a permanent fourth judge before the season premiere in January, and on September 9, it was confirmed that Ellen DeGeneres would be joining the show as the new permanent fourth judge for the rounds held at CBS Television City and thereafter.

I wish "they" could have reached some agreement with Paula Abdul. I'm not sure why "they" chose Ellen DeGeneres. Are the Idol producers and FOX trying to inject some humour into Idol? We had lots of it with Paula.

CTV Canada will also carry American Idol on the same days as FOX U.S.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I thought the contestants provided the humor.

3. Chris R

:laugh: That too, and a bit of cringing from time to time.

4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I keep reading this may be it , as Cowell doesn't want to do the show anymore...

5. I've enjoyed the X-Factor here in the UK for a few years now, come '11 I think a lot of us will switch from Idol to X.

BTW, the show airs a day later here in the UK, will have to respond with a slight time delay to avoid any spoilers. :righton:

6. It will be interesting to see the dynamic / chemistry between Simon and Ellen.

7. Chris R

Geeze. Can they turn up the "wacko" factor anymore? That first young woman was horrendous.

Some of these people that audition can't really believe that they're anywhere near the level of what vocal talent/abilities needed to be a contender on Idol.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No. I think it was all about money. From all reports, Paula was making about $4 million a year. When she heard that Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest (respectively) doubled their deals, she went in and asked for $10 million and was turned down. They offered her $6 million and change and she walked.

Ellen reportedly is getting $6.5 million (almost exactly what they would've paid Paula), plus the opportunity to have all the "loser" booted-off contestants on her daytime show the next day. That's a win-win, in that she's getting two paychecks, relatively easy work -- compared to, say, acting or standup -- and the fact that one show promotes the other.

While I sometimes liked watching Paula for the "train wreck" factor, I think Ellen will be OK on the show. I hope she doesn't use a lot of shtick, and just sticks to actual comments on the performances, but let's face it: this is very much a personality-driven show. At least Ellen is glib and articulate, and can have a reasonable conversation without cue cards.

But I have very little hope for the show once Simon Cowell leaves. As far as I'm concerned, he is the show. It's not coincidental that they make him the last judge on the panel. I think he's obnoxious and opinionated, but I think that's what you need for a show like this -- provided he's also honest and specific about what he likes and dislikes.

9. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

+1.

This show will suck hard without Simon Cowell.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Losing Simon will be curtains for Idol.

11. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Wow! Not only am I surprised Paula was making so little, I am even more surprised that Simon only makes $10 million a year on Idol. (Or, am I misunderstanding your post?)

When you think of what a ratings bonanza and cash cow Idol has been for Fox over the past decade, these amounts seem ridiculously small to me. You're talking about a franchise that has netted the network literally hundreds of millions of dollars in profits. Didn't some major stars from last decade's hit shows (Friends, Seinfeld, etc.) make upwards of $2-$4 million per episode? Something strikes me as way off here. How does Fox get away with paying these valuable assets so little?

12. That's exactly why Simon wants to get in on the action with his X-Factor next year.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

And Paula may join Simon on X Factor.

14. ... that might not be far fetched.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Get in on the action? Isn't it part his and didn't I read he is getting 35m a year now from Idol or that is what he will get from X?

16. I'm not sure what the latest numbers are and I don't think it's just a question of $$$ but his ego as well. He's the producer of X-Factor and doesn't have to share anything with Simon Fuller.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Executive producer Simon Cowell and his company Syco TV (which will be merged into Greenwell Entertainment as a result of a recent partnership with Sir Philip Green). From wikipedia.

18. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Didn't I hear the trailers for it over here say that there will guest judges?

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yes, you're misunderstanding. Simon makes closer to $40M iirc.

20. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Ahhh...thank you. That makes much more sense!

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have been watching a little of tonights show and it certainly wasn't Ellen that was on the panel however Posh Spice was though.

22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Ellen is not coming on until after the auditions.

23. On day one of the auditions she looked pretty scary, liked her better in her Posh Spice days. It was a little better on day two. A few extra pound might help.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

Victoria was frightening! Are we sure she wasn't Scary Spice?

25. grizzly

grizzly New Member

I never watch the show but was at my mom's yesterday and she was watching it,what was with the psycho guy?Now that was funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.