American Idol Season/Series 9, 2010 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought that only Crystal was good. Any of the other six deserve to be kicked off after last night.

If Crystal doesn't become the next American Idol, something is seriously wrong. She even covered the rural Southern voting domination problem by having her very down to earth, country looking as all get out, father visible on the show this week.

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

They just aren't cutting Siobhan any slack, it gets to be a little tiresome. Got to love the judges aren't like "When You Believe" was some great song--it wasn't, in fact it's barely remembered at this point. I think they want Crystal to win so bad that they are destroying the real competition, kind of like what they did that year Fantasia won vs Diana DeGarmo.

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i don't think they should. she hits some high notes, but most of the time, her voice disappears in the music.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

I didn't care much for Lee at first, but he's been steadily growing on me and it's really been fun to see him "finding himself" on the show. He and Crystal had the best performances last night by far.

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

It's not a gaffe. They always use dress footage in the recap of the last performer or two because there's no time to edit in the real thing.

6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

doubtful, but i'd like to see it. i'm not impressed by his singing or his guitar "skills".

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've always liked Siobhan, but I'm finally starting to tire of her as well. She's got great pipes, but she's struggling to make the most of it. And I think she looks much better in the interviews, when shes dressed more casually, than during her performances. Her outfits aren't so bad, but I don't think the diva hairstyles and shiny lips are doing her any favors.

8. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Bingo. Her vibrato and phrasing are so over-wrought in the lower octave of her range.

I also latched onto one of the things that also annoys me about her lower range: Her phrasing is choppy as hell. For example, instead of making the phrase "nothing's gonna change my world", sound like one phrase, it sounded like "no thing's gon na change my wo rld" because she is over-thinking her vibrato on every... single... note. She loses sight of the forest for the trees. I remember my teacher in college saying, "Don't lose sight of the musical line!". It totally applies to Siobahn.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

So being different doesn't fit inside those narrow lines? Crystal is just as different in her own way. I like it insteed of clones.

10. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

On a different note, I think Casey has really slipped in the past couple weeks. I love that he goes for that Stevie Ray sort of vibe vocally and guitar-wise, but he just hasn't been putting in the effort since he did "Jealous Guy" a couple weeks ago.

Aaron Kelly is still my next to go. He hits the notes, but that's about it. Closing the eyes and raising the hand every week does not a great performance make. However, I didn't actually watch Tim but it seems like this could be his week as well.

My prediction list (in order of send-offs) is starting to shape up into this (assuming that everyone remains at their current level of performance):

Tim
    Aaron
    Casey/Siobhan (a toss-up, but I see them both heading home around this period)
    Big Mike
    Crystal/Lee Showdown
    Lee goes home in 2nd
    Crystal

There's some room for variation in the bottom 4, but I see the consistency of Mike, Lee, and Crystal putting them in the top 3, though I would send Lee home this week if it were up to me.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i don't get all the love for mike either. i think he pretty much slaughters everything he sings.

sioban needs to find broadway.

12. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Siobhan in the top 3? :wtf: I didn't get her or Mike's performances last night. Neither did my girlfriend. And again, Siobhan was babbling back to the judges trying to 'splain why she chose another "huge" song. It made no sense. Getting very tiresome. We'd like to see Siobhan sent home, the next time there is an elimination round. Remember, in previous years they have not sent anyone home on "Idol Gives Back" night. American voters need to put Siobhan out of her misery.

Bottom 3 tonight, if there is one, and I got to choose, it would be Siobhan, Mike and I dunno, maybe Tim (although he doesn't deserve to go home...yet.)

As someone else said, give Crystal the trophy now. Her performance was that good, despite what some Web sites said. No one last night came even remotely close to her, IMHO.
    :agree: :righton:

Attached Files:

13. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Finally! Someone hearing what I hear. This whole season I haven't been a dedicated watcher but I will tune in with my wife on occasion and every time I say...THAT guy is still there? I don't know how he made it through Hollywood week!
    True.

14. RDK

RDK Active Member

I don't follow. Who said anything about being different? All I said was that I think she looks cuter when she wears less makeup. :confused:

15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I thought the AI producers were supposed to help the contestants along in this regard. Siobhan looks much cuter in the interviews, the mentoring parts, etc. Isn't there someone there to minimize fashion don'ts? Crystal Bowersox still looks bad to me, they might as well do something with that hair sooner rather than later.

16. phish

phish Jack Your Body

bowersox looked real out of place last night in that long gown with the plunging neckline. not in a good way either.

17. timw

timw Senior Member

I could be wrong ... but from what I can vaguely remember from past "Idol Gives Back" nights. Don't they go through the motions of coming up with a bottom three only to end the show on a happy note by saying No one goes home this week???

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I recall that being the case.

I agree that Crystal really needs to lose the dreads. I bet this will happen if she makes Top Three.

Evan

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

is it possible to just lose dreads? are hers pseudo-dreads (braids)?

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Cut 'em off and put on a wig.

Evan

21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

if they are real, that's pretty extreme. anyone willing to go through all the time to make those things doesn't usually just wack 'em off.

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If it looks like she is going to win the competition, the producers might insist.

Evan

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

talk about giving up freedoms. screw that.

24. Agree didn't like her performance either. Think Mike will go this time.

25. It was my favorite performane of the night. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.