American Music Club... Any fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Apr 27, 2016.

1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, I've ignored this band for many years, despite hearing about them a long time ago.

I recently got to hear "California" and within a few listens I'd fallen head over feet in love with it, especially the two stand out tracks, "Laughingstock" and "Last Harbor". Can't get them out of my head. Watched an unedited, lengthy interview with Mark Eitzel on YouTube last night (filmed for the release of "California" in 1988) and found him a beguiling figure, an anti-star, uncomfortable with the premise of talking about himself or the band's music, but occasionally throwing out poetic lines just in conversation.

Anyhow, I got to listen to "California" through a dubious source and so went hunting for the CD to find that by hell it's hard to purchase for a non-ridiculous price (same for much of their early back catalogue). What a shame that such wonderful music seems to have been out of print for a while...

So, any fans? Where do I go from here? And can someone chime in with news of a sparkly reissue campaign for this seemingly underrated and forgotten band?

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

HUGE fan. Mercury is their masterpiece, IMO, despite the typical Mitchell Froom keyboard schmaltz, but I'd go to Everclear next because a) it's awesome and b) it's closer in feel to California. That said, I love everything but San Francisco (and Love Songs for Patriots is uneven). Eitzel's Invisible Man is really good, too, but not nearly as widescreen; get through AMC first. -E

PS I had Mark as a house guest for a weekend (he was touring solo and my wife and I offered to put him and his drummer Erik up) and he was an absolute joy. He's an astonishing performer, so seem him if you get the chance.

VinylCountdown, SJP, spindly and 8 others like this.
  3. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Big AMC fan here. Got to see them and Mark Eitzel solo a few times. Always a great show. Class musicians, fantastic songs.
    First heard about them thanks to a spotlight piece in SPIN magazine back in the early 90s.
    Everclear is an audiophile's delight. The production is incredible. Hard for me to listen to today because it brings back some painful memories from the time, but still highly recommended. The only songs on it I don't care for are Rise and Crabwalk. The rest are incredible. I love turning people on to them.
    Get Eitzel's live solo album - Songs of Love Live. Amazing.

Love,
    Billy

john lennonist, 3Dman, sennj and 3 others like this.
  4. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Count me in as another huge fan. Everclear, to me at least, is about as good as any LP released in the last quarter century. Mercury, California, and San Francisco are also superb. Eitzel's solo work can be a little spotty, but is also well worth checking into.

Glad to have seen both AMC and Eitzel live as well--powerful stuff.

5. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

60 watt silver lining is great (Eitzel solo). and AMC's 2nd, Engine is also great if a bit primitive, it really shows hints of what they would become.

bluejimbop, CBC and bleachershane like this.
  6. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

Saw them only once here in Boston around the time of "California"...that's really the only release i go back to a lot...love the melancholy of songs like "Last Harbor", "Blue & Grey Shirt", "Highway 5", etc.....tho i do LOVE the noisy "Outside This Bar" from the first LP too.....

drad dog and bleachershane like this.
  7. bleachershane

I've quite a back catalogue to catch up on (including Mark Eitzel's solo work) so thanks for the recommendations. A few albums are thankfully still easy to get a hold of so I'll be going for those first!

Here's a question, I'm not one for genres, but I can't seem to stick them in a box from what I've heard so far. Folky-alternative-ballady-rock-country... What's your take on where they come from style-wise?

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

One of the best American bands/artists around. Got started w/ Mercury, after that I was hooked.
    Years ago, they were supposed to play a show locally, only to cancel at the last minute (went to the venue the night of the show to find out) Months later they did a live spot on the radio, I faxed a note to them, and Mark actually apologized on air for missing the show & they played "I Broke My Promise" dedicated to me. =)

9. Jet Age Eric

I think you got it, although there's a baroque element that's missing from the description ... :p -E

bleachershane likes this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Love them.
    Have everything by AMC and Mark Eitzel.
    I make a point of seeing Mark live every time he comes to the UK.
    An incredible songwriter and performer.

Jet Age Eric and bleachershane like this.
  11. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Another vote for Everclear as probably the best AMC release followed by Mercury.

lbangs, 3Dman, nuclear_error and 2 others like this.
  12. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

A longtime fan and friend of most of the people who have been in this band over the years. I first saw them after Everclear was released, and that remains my favorite album; all of the albums have something rich and amazing to offer and I don't hesitate to recommend any of them, even the Golden Age which was basically an Eitzel solo record with the AMC name forced on it by the label.

I can't talk very much about it but the first four Tom Mallon helmed albums will be reissued, along with many bonus tracks. I don't have a time frame for it yet but I've helped put in some considerable work on the project.

3Dman, Catbirdman, Rgfinch and 5 others like this.
  13. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

Mark has a new album out this year, produced by Bernard Butler. Should be out in October on Merge.

14. Jet Age Eric

NICE!!! -E

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I got into AMC through California. What a wonderful album. "Blue & Grey Shirt" still gives me shivers. I actually originally tried to buy AMC's first album after I read a review in Option magazine and got a letter back saying the band didn't like the album and to wait for their next one. It was probably from Eitzel. Too bad I didn't keep the letter. I could have shown it to Mark when I saw him years later.

bleachershane and Jet Age Eric like this.
  16. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I had one of their albums back in the early 90s but I lost track of them. Great band.

17. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Big fan. California/Everclear/Mercury = Greatness. The others have their moments too.

My fave Eitzel is Caught in a Trap...

Jet Age Eric and bleachershane like this.
  18. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I've heard this before and I hope they will see the light of day eventually.
    I assume you mean Restless Stranger, Engine, California & United Kingdom?
    Are the reissues going to be out of USA or Europe?

Thanks,
    Beau

19. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

more info when i can discuss it. but yes those are the 4 albums.

CBC, BeauZooka and bleachershane like this.
  20. bleachershane

When I said I was hoping for news on a reissue project I was of course jesting and didn't actually expect anyone to come forward with genuine news on this! I appreciate that you have to keep details on the down low, but thank you for mentioning it at all. It means that I will hold out for the reissues should they materialise rather than shelling out on very expensive (for me anyway) second hand copies of originals.

Cheers, and keep us up to date here when you can!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Jet Age Eric likes this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I didn't know much about them but I was reading a positive review of their last album the Golden Age in MOJO or Uncut when it was released and I was shocked to see that a good friend of mine, (Dave Trumfio) mixed and produced the album. It''s weird to read a review and find out that someone you know was heavily involved. So, I checked them out and liked what I heard.

22. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I had to try. :D

23. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I have California on vinyl - bought upon release and still love it today. The other albums sort of passed me by...

25. bleachershane

So I got to hear "Everclear", it's certainly growing on me in the same way that "California" did.

"Rise" is a strange track, almost a stab at alternative-rock, as was rising to prominence in 1991 when "Everclear" came out. It doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the AMC tracks I've heard (a limited amount though). I've fixed the audio on the video that's been doing the rounds on YouTube and reuploaded it.

"You're like a store that only sells guns and knives."

mtvgeneration, bluejimbop and CBC like this.