American Music Club... Any fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, Apr 27, 2016.

1. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I'm a casual fan. I own Mercury, and "Gratitude Walks" is a favorite.

BeauZooka and Jet Age Eric like this.
  2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Yes--love their earlier stuff, the ballads especially.

3. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

[​IMG]
    I saw Mark in New York in 2002. He was fighting through a bit of misery but played a great show. He played a new song he wrote in the hotel after which he immediately disowned it, and crumbled up his lyrics. My friend said she liked it (we were close enough and it was intimate so no yelling necessary) to which he replied "you liked it..."
    After he was done I speedily jumped on stage and grabbed the crumbled ball of paper.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if he ever recorded this song or not, but it is one of my most treasured items.

BeauZooka, mjb, englishbob and 9 others like this.
  4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

WOW! I must have seen him a few weeks before--he played here on, like, 10/11 and crashed w/me and my now-wife. :) His drummer (Erik) wanted to jam on on the instruments in our basement but Mark didn't. :( -E

CBC, bagofsoup and 3Dman like this.
  5. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

It was just him solo that night. It was part of the CMJ festival, which I want to say was at a place called Tonic? I remember Nicolai Dunger also played.
    I grabbed a copy of California as I've never ran into that one, and ordered the deluxe Ferryman as well. I really enjoy Butler's work so I'm really looking forward to it.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I feel like I should've asked him for some hand-written lyrics! (But I think he bought us dinner the next night, and a lot of sake.) I'm really excited for the new record, too! I don't think Mark needs help, but I think Butler is a talented dude. -E

3Dman likes this.
  7. Wow! Found sealed vinyl of "California" for a reasonable price in a shop in New Orleans today (they had three, I got one).

bleachershane and BeauZooka like this.
  8. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

My fav of theirs. I have an original and apart from a little nick on bad liquor it sounds amazing.

9. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if Mark Eitzel has brought any of those NOS copies on tour with him to sell... I'd snap one up in an instant, love that album. I'm still determined that "Laughing Stock" is the best song he's penned. Praying he plays it this Sunday in Glasgow...

10. I got one of those copies of 'California' that Frontier records were selling. I'd wanted it for years. I saw Mark Eitzel in Bristol on Sunday just gone, he was fantastic, actually a little better than I expected.

bleachershane and BeauZooka like this.
  11. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Seeing Mark for the third time on Friday and saw AMC three or four times. Looking forward to the gig and go on honeymoon the next day!

Jet Age Eric and BeauZooka like this.
  12. bleachershane

Apparently Mark will be making another trip to Europe later this year, hoping he passes through Scotland again as he was excellent (but my partner couldn't appreciate the show as he had a severe dizzy spell caused by labyrinthitis! Mark though he was walking off because he didn't like his stage banter about Bob Dylan!)

13. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

bump, any update on those reissues ?

14. bleachershane

Ha, was going to bump this myself yesterday to ask the same question. All I know is that the American Music Club/Mark Eitzel websites are undergoing a revamp... that usually means that something is in the pipeline!

BeauZooka and Rgfinch like this.
  15. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Bump - still no news ????

Something must have gone wrong with those reissues

16. It's Felix

silence!

17. bleachershane

I was going to bump this the other day to ask the same thing!
    Come on AMC, I'm waiting (im)patiently here...

18. It's Felix

do we know what they plan to reissue?

19. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

A guy earlier in the thread said it was all the Frontier stuff: Restless Stranger, Engine, California & United Kingdom.

Paging @akmonday

bleachershane and It's Felix like this.
  20. Hmmm, I'd like to add Engine to my AMC vinyl collection.

21. It's AMC - we'll probably be waiting another couple of years :(

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did see the California LP a few years back in Volcanic Tongue, Glasgow. I kinda wished I bought it (probably the Demon issue). I do have the Frontiers California CD that I found in the used bins at Turn It Up, Northampton, MA back in the early 80s.

Would be interested in the other albums such as Engine and United Kingdom.

bleachershane likes this.
  23. It's Felix

California on vinyl is amazing. Lovely sounding.

24. capn

capn Forum Resident

deadcoldfish and Farmer Mike like this.
  25. It's Felix