American Tunes: Paul Simon song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Our Song"

This is an agreeable enough number - the kind of thing you might play to get yourself in the mood for a Happy Days marathon. If you know who you are listening to, you can just about hear their recognisable voices in there. 2.5/5.

Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Our Song” is very good. It’s a successful knock-off of music Paul and Art loved and a good example of Paul’s adolescent songwriting abilities. (I wonder how much Art had to do with the writing here, he didn’t do a lot of songwriting until much later, aside from a couple of early singles.) I think it’s as good as or better than early songs from early 1958 by their contemporaries and even surpasses most of what their friends and rivals were doing. 3.5/5

3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

This was re-released as an expanded CD a few years ago. I found it on eBay and bought it. I can´t remember whether the Paul Simon track was on it. Good luck finding it! :agree:

Chartstuff, ARL and BeSteVenn like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

My pure guess that he contributed some words and maybe some melodic ideas and probably otherwise "steered Paul through" (as Tim Finn calls the act of the "junior partner" in a songwriter: like Tim says "Neil mainly wrote "Tall Trees" and I sort of steered him through it" -- got Finns on the brain thanks to Fangradio).

Paul Simon in 1957 maybe needed some help that he wouldn't need in 1965.

Art had a couple of solo singles circa 1960 that he wrote; they are kind of melodically nice but seem very unfinished as songs. I suppose he had some talent as a songwriter from the beginning, but probably needed someone to help him develop or needed a strong partner to help develop his ideas; he never developed after S&G hit big because he was in a group with Paul Simon and thus had no shortage of great songs to sing. And before he hit big, he probably didn't think he was going to ahve a career in music, so did not push through these early obstacles the way Paul did.

It is also possible that he continued to make suggestions to Paul's songs that were not deemed credit-worthy -- Paul is not exactly the most generous songwriter when it comes to sharing credits, as we all know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  5. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I have those Artie Garr songs, too, and they don’t do it for me, either. Art as sounding board for Paul was a lot more useful to Paul in 1957-58 than he’d ever be again. I also have a hunch that Paul wouldn’t have been likely to spend too much time helping someone else with their songwriting, he was pretty focused on his own ambitions. (I don’t mean that as a criticism.)

Doggiedogma, Ken.e., Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  6. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

Our Song: This isn't much good compared with the debut. A few more building blocks of Everly's are shuffled around to no great effect. But they were only kids so...2/5

7. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Our Song... This little tune was pleasant enough. Nothing too special about it, but it was nice to hear their natural Everly bros imitation harmony singing again, instead of an Elvis/Buddy imitation. This is going to be a fun journey.
    2.5/5

Ken.e., SMRobinson, BeSteVenn and 3 others like this.
  8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The YouTube link (apparently sourced from the Purple Chick set) omits the first verse ("Lunchtime isn't happy anymore...").

Here's the full version:

Ken.e., aphexj, SMRobinson and 4 others like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What an awful lyric. Simon got better fortunately.

Buddybud, Ken.e. and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

I checked my copy of the Kenny Everett compilation. Not on there, I´m afraid. :shake:

Ken.e. and Bnk like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

It's definitely on the Two Teenagers digital compilation (European only, apparently.)

Ken.e. and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

A little...:D

13. Jarleboy

A LOTTT! :righton: We all have to start somewhere. I know my first lyrics were dreadful... Just like my recent ones! Oh, dear... :shake:

Ken.e., BeSteVenn, SMRobinson and 2 others like this.
  14. SMRobinson

SMRobinson Forum Resident

OUR SONG

it's interesting to hear how the vocal limitations are masked by the blend. Their respective vocal issues don't overlap so they soften each other together.

However, the material itself is similarly derivative juvenilia. At least it's more stylistically appropriate to their skills.

Just listened to the four Art Garr tracks for the first time. WOW! He really should have kept composing. A shame he didn't develop his skills from such a promising start. Lance's point about partnering with Simon taking away the need to push through the early stages and create for himself is well made.

1/5

Ken.e., Bnk, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  15. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

"Our song" sounds like it was written to ressemble Hey Schoolgirl just enough and to be different enough to have its own spark.

Maybe it wan't a hit because the record company just didn't do the payola this time. Or I just know HS better for having listened to it some times in the last 25 years. But imo Hey Schoolgirl is a better single.

Ken.e., Bnk, BeSteVenn and 3 others like this.
  16. Bnk

Bnk Forum Resident

`Our Song`, I like it,it`s spirited,some surprises in the structure,with nice hooks,especially in the verse melody, and I thought at once of a Beatles` song guitar instrumental when this song`s solo kicked in...the one in `All My Loving`,but I suppose that may be a generic rockabilly/country style.
    Strong 3/5.

Ken.e., Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Our Song"
    1-1
    2-1
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0
    Average: 2.5143

Jarleboy, Ken.e. and BeSteVenn like this.
  18. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Two Teenagers", written by Rose Marie McCoy. Performed by Tom & Jerry with the Lee Simms Orchestra.

Tom & Jerry - Two Teenagers Lyrics | Musixmatch

Line Up:
    Jerry Landis: co-lead vocals, acoustic guitar
    Tommy Graph: co-lead vocals
    The Lee Sims Orchestra:
    Lee Simms (aka Louis Simon): stand up bass
    Unknown musicians: percussion,drums, piano, electric guitar

with
    Unknown female vocalists: backing vocals

[​IMG]

The B-side to "Our Song"

Note: Because this is not a Paul Simon original, and is perhaps of marginal interest I'm going to hold up a second song today.

Michael, Jarleboy and Ken.e. like this.
  19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

That might be the best thing he ever wrote, and I'm only half joking.

20. Lance LaSalle

Today's second song is "That's My Story", written by Tommy Graph and Jerry Landis (aka Art Garfunkel & Paul Simon). Performed by Tom & Jerry with The Lee Sims Orchestra.

Tom & Jerry, Jerry, Tom - That's My Story lyrics, lyrics and translation

Line Up:
    Tommy Graph (aka Art Garfunkel): lead vocals
    Jerry Landis (aka Paul Simon: vocals, acoustic guitar
    Lee Sims Orchestra:
    Lee Sims (aka Louis Simon): stand up bass
    Unknown musicians: piano, drums, electric guitar, saxophone
    Unknown vocalists: backing vocals
    [​IMG]

The A-side to Tom & Jerry's third single, "That's My Story" failed to dent the charts.

Released on the many compilations listed above.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  21. Lance LaSalle

"Two Teenagers" is pretty twee and silly, and that stupid hick accent is back and I don't like it. I mean, I have nothing against that accent, but it just sounds stupid and forced and even twee-er coming out of their mouths. I do like the percussion and the lead guitar a lot though! And the harmony is excellent: lots of detail in the lead vocals performances. Those guys were really good.

So lots of good things going on but the song is a bundle of musical cliches and a bit annoying. 2.3/5

"That's My Story" is certainly less annoying, and I actually kind of like the music, even though it's pretty rote (and watered down) doo-wop. I bet my Dad would like this song. There's a gear change key change towards the end, which is nothing special, but it's shows some hints of sophistication. This was, after all, nearly 75 years ago: they are allowed some cliches.

The lyrics are rather weak: bunch of teenaged love stuff, but Art sounds beautiful and I just enjoy this song for what it is: a doo-wop also ran. This song is to doo-wop classics what "Hey Schoolgirl" was to Everly Brothers classics.

3.5/5

22. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Two Teenagers"

The main thing that drew my attention in this one was the lead guitar - some nice chiming licks in there! The song itself holds little of interest - the call-and-response of "two teenagers/that's us!" is one of those so-bad-it's-good moments.

"That's My Story"

This one was so gripping that I was typing out the review of the previous song while listening to it. The voices are a little more recognisable in here, but the song is a real damp squib.

1.5/5 for both.

23. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Two Teenagers” reached for that brass ring and fell extremely short. At about the same time Paul and Art were trying for a real hit record with this Rose Marie McCoy song, The Quarrymen’s Paul and George were plundering her “Trying To Get To You” for the music to “In Spite Of All The Danger” I have to respect that Paul and Art were working with the real deal while the future Beatles were scraping together a few shillings for petty larceny. 2.5/5

Years later when Paul sang about “The Penguins, The Moonglows, The Orioles and The Five Satins”, it wasn’t the first time he invoked those groups (and of course Art covered “I Only Have Eyes For You” in 1975.) “That’s My Story” is a really good attempt at doo-wop. In 1959 Paul and Art were incapable of reaching those heights they later would seek, but it's pretty good for this era and I like it, too. 3.5/5

Doggiedogma, Jarleboy, ARL and 4 others like this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I keep having to remind myself that these recordings need to be judged in the context of the era. There isn't that much music from this period, late 1950s/early 60s, that I really like.

Jarleboy, Buddybud, Ken.e. and 3 others like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

“Tryin’ to Get to You” is a really good song.