Amoeba Records Potentially in Danger

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Apr 20, 2020.

1. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amoeba Music Launches Fundraising Campaign to Survive Our Current Crisis

Small businesses across America are in peril as the economic impact of the COVID-19 shutdowns start to take effect, and Amoeba Music — part of the long-imperiled cohort of record stores — is sending out a plea for help. The independent music retailer has outlived such massive music enterprises as Tower and Sam Goody, but as its owners say in their new GoFundMe page, “We have weathered many storms — 911, recessions, the Internet, downloading and streaming. But we don’t know that we can weather the COVID-19 storm.” Amoeba has three locations across San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the original Berkeley, California, storefront, and co-founders Dave Prinz and Marc Weinstein are trying to raise $400,000 to stay alive through community donations.

“We know that this is a very difficult and uncertain time for everyone, and we understand that there are many individuals and organizations in need,” reads the campaign page. “Any donation to this campaign will contribute to the cash resources we need to deal with the immediate future, to take care of our staff of over 400 Amoebites, and to allow Amoeba to continue operations.” Additionally, they say that the company has applied for bailout loans, but with those funds running out quickly due to high demand from so many struggling businesses, they can’t rely on state or federal support to pull through.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Grant, TwiceFan, Paulwalrus and 16 others like this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Man that sucks!
    This is all too depressing, everyone, EVERY one, hit by this damn thing.

Grant, Paulwalrus, bagstiv and 6 others like this.
  3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Wow hope they pull thru

4. I thought they sold their building for $34 million?

5. lonelysea

lonelysea Drunk Posting Never

Everyone! Don’t panic!! We’ll still be able to buy obscure vinyls and CDs from Walmart, Target, and the other giant box stores that are already surviving this thing.

Musical Chairs, Laibach, WMTC and 8 others like this.
  6. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Only in America..........

7. IHeartRecordsAz

I don't know how much they sold it for, but I'm sure a lot of that money has been put back into the construction of their new store.

EDIT: If you scroll down a bit, you can read an interview Variety did with Marc Weinstein where he talks about this, among other things.

Beamish13 likes this.
  8. I don't think they are building their new digs, leasing it at El Centro:

Luxury Apartments in Hollywood, CA for Rent | El Centro

I'm sure they have an extra $400k around.

” Amoeba Music’s co-founders Dave Prinz and Marc Weinstein sold the building to developers in 2015 for $34 million.

Will a Lawsuit Stop Amoeba Music from Becoming a Massive Apartment Building?

black sheriff, bootbox and Shawn like this.
  9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

And Harvard, with a $40 billion endowment, gets a $9M bailout.

10. Place was on my list to hit up when I went down to LA for the Supergrass show on 4/1 but then .....

I chipped in a few $.

11. And Ruth Chris got a chunk too.

It's a racket all the way...

12. IHeartRecordsAz

13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I'm with you, and in reading their go fund me page I'm kinda shocked they would do that. Everyone is hurting, including all those people doing 30 and 50 dollar donations. Record stores have been making a killing the past 7-8 year and the past two even better. They can get loans as well as the fed offering right now.

Their name dropping in their story and anyone of those big artist can easily give them a million dollars to keep them above water.

I heard the other day they did a go fund me for the small record stores in the bay area.

Witch brings me to another point, haven't heard of one bazillionaire doing anything for anyone through this.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

A link would have been fine, not to mention the copy rights you just broke.

hutlock likes this.
  16. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

17. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

groundharp, homeslice, marcb and 9 others like this.
  18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

19. maxman

maxman Forum Resident

The Berkeley location has already sold half of their store to stay in business. The old jazz room is gone. They weren't in a great position to start with–I really hope they will pull through.

20. Taylor Swift is paying something (wages?) for the staff of Grimey's, I believe.

I like that girl a lot.

Vinyl_Blues, FJFP, challenge and 8 others like this.
  21. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

the demographic who buy records aren't really going to the Berkeley Amoeba which is sad. Stranded in Oakland is thriving. Or was before the pandemic. Berkeley honestly has too many DVDs and not enough vinyl. There is passion for collecting music but I see people subscribing more to Amazon Prime and Netflix for films. The difference is that I know more people more likely to subscribe to Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal and still buy physical records. I don't see that as much with films.

dlemaudit and caravan70 like this.
  22. StevenC

they owned the building and not the land. They had a land lease and that land lease I believe was sold. They were a bit overpowered. They used that funding for a new location. Not like the $34M is just being pocketed. LA Corporate Real Estate is real.

Marc Perman likes this.
  23. StevenC

I donated myself and send the link to Elton John's publicist and his instagram. Elton has a home near there he lives part time and he loves indie shops more than any other celebrity.
    Billie Joe Armstrong and Raphael Saddiq used to frequent Amoeba. I saw the both in the Berkeley store around 1994. Hoping celebs like this will step up.

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk "You say you'll change the constitution"

I was going to make my own post but this is pretty much verbatim what I would have said.

caravan70 and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I never shopped there, having only been to California a few times, but I thought they did mail order as well.