Amorphous Androgynous and Peter Hammill - new album (featuring Paul Weller)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jim C, Nov 2, 2020.

1. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Listened the once. Its fantastic - multi-layered and beautifully produced sounds as you'd expect, and feels properly through- composed. Some lovely keyboard work on side 2 very reminiscent of 'Shine On..." Too much detail to take in on one listen, but definately headphone music!!

Putrifiers II and serj like this.
  2. Django

Django Forum Resident

I ordered the 2 CD pack.

3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

WOW!! Killer-diller album.. where the heck have I been ? :)
    Amazing stuff, and they've been around for years, lots of catching up for me.
    Very happy about this album, all new to me with Hammill and Weller too! :edthumbs:

4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Does anyone understand how this is a single? If it’s 40 minutes, it’s an album. Or the first of two albums, by the sound of it.

Please tell me Weller doesn’t sing on it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Maranatha5585 likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

FSOL have released many album length singles like Cascade, Papua New Guinea, Lifeforms, My Kingdom, etc. This is not unusual for them.

Maurice and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  6. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

You'll be pleased to hear His Modjesty does not grace us with his vocals on this one, he leaves it to "Old Golden Throat" Hammill.

fRa likes this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Hurrah! Thank you. Ordering now.

andy obrien likes this.
  8. Graculus

Graculus Forum Resident

As much as I like Hamill, and there's nothing wrong with his contribution to this, I find the whole album quite clinical and sterile, so as soon as Lockdown #2 ends my copy will be heading for a local charity shop.

9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Hi, Totally new to the AA myself, stumbled on the short :53 sec promo last night on utube..
    Was so impressed ! Since no songs are really up anywhere I downloaded the album from their web site. Very impressed! Missed out on RSD remixes, as I didn't know they even existed till after the fact at 8:30 last night. Then I looked them up in SHF search, and found this thread.
    It's actually 6 parts rather than 5.. I believe this is an album.
    Hammill sounds fantastic, and wrote many of the lyrics. Weller plays throughout. :righton:

10. Van Der Graaf Generator meets Tangerine Dream and Vangelis while King Crimson and Pink Floyd look on.

And a proper single album length. Even if some say it's a single, it's really not.

Whilst slightly derivative it is still a really good listen, much like Porcupine Tree's Delerium Years period, now available in a new 13CD box set.

I got into bands like Future Sound of London, Fila Brazillia, The Orb, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada and labels like Warp Records and Pork Recordings when I was looking for stuff like Tangerine Dream back in the 90s.

serj and Putrifiers II like this.
  11. serj

serj Forum Resident

Very good album with a loud sound:(( I guess its a strongly compressed CD..

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I listened to the sampler track on YouTube and it does indeed sound harshly compressed, sadly. Why does anyone think that this kind of in your face lack of dynamics sounds good?

serj likes this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Anyone else disappointed with the lack of Peter Hammill? He’s not really utilised across the whole album.

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

I got the 2CD pack. It's okay. As I expected really. Press play and let it go.
    I think the remix CD is better than the actual album.
    I'm glad I didn't pay for the vinyl version.

MikeMusic and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

I've become a Remix freak
    So often the remix is better or at least stands in it's own right - in all sorts of music
    Think my first remix realisation was
    Wolfgang Press - Funky Little Demons.
    The 2nd CD in the rare 2 CD version has better versions of 4 tracks, longer too

16. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Waiting on this coming on CD. Paul Weller doesn’t seem to have said anything about this album. Does anyone know when this was recorded? He has discussed a few of the things he has worked on in various interviews but never seems to discuss this or get asked about it.

Django likes this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

There's very little press on it at all. I haven't seen any reviews.

18. Paul Weller is a guest musician only.

[​IMG]

19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Weller plays acoustic guitar & piano on it. He had writing credits on the title track & symphony on the theme of morality.
    His parts were recorded in Blackbarn studios. I think that's his home studio.

20. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Analyzed: The Amorphous Androgynous / We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal
    -------- -------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
    DR7 -0.08 dB -11.31 dB 12:22 01-We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal
    DR11 -0.08 dB -14.38 dB 3:53 02-Hymortality
    DR6 -0.08 dB -9.26 dB 3:10 03-Immortality Break
    DR12 -0.08 dB -14.94 dB 4:18 04-Physically I'm Here, Mentally Far , Far Away
    DR5 -0.08 dB -8.53 dB 5:17 05-Psych Recap
    DR7 -0.08 dB -10.49 dB 11:23 06-Synthony
    -------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ----------
    Number of tracks: 6
    Official DR value: DR8

serj likes this.
  21. Jim C

Jim C Forum Resident Thread Starter

While waiting for actual reviews (i.e. Mojo, Prog, Uncut, etc), here's a telltale tweet from Jerry Ewing (the main man at Prog magazine) relating to the new album by Amorphous Androgynous and Peter Hammill:

"This has rarely been off my turntable since it arrived. An utter joy of an album..."

Re: the compression... I ain't hearing it, the album is a beautiful audio experience to my ears. I bought all the VdGG 70s re-releases that came out in '05 (on Virgin). Now *those* were compressed! This album is nothing like those.

Putrifiers II and rediffusion like this.
  22. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

I love it. I got the CD from Burning Shed last week. Opening track is one of the finest pieces released all year IMO, and although I understand the criticism I've seen where the rest of the album sounds like remixes of that track, I actually find the whole thing flows beautifully, it's a great listen for my tastes.

mcwlod, Putrifiers II and serj like this.
  23. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

I think people might be forgetting that this release is really considered to be more of an extended single rather than an album. The opening 13 min 'We Persuade Ourselves...' is from a forthcoming album entitled Listening Beyond The Head Chakra (mentioned here) and the rest of the tracks are variations on the theme of the first track.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Putrifiers II likes this.
  24. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Listening for the first time today. Very prog in a good way.

25. Jim C

Jim C Forum Resident Thread Starter