Amp For Falcon Ls3/5a's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dahuky, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahuky

Dahuky Forum Resident Thread Starter

replaced back to my 95wpc yamaha reciver, all the crappy sound gone. thanks a lot! guess you've saved my speakers.
    funny that with my sony the sanyo sounded just amazing and crap with the yamaha, and now the exact opposite. guess cheap stuff work good together lol.

2. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Jep
    Make sure to have a good working amp, those speakers are not for disco levels and just too expensive for experiments, I usually use some old crap speakers for experiment purpose, then damage mean no real loss.
    Always have amp volume on zero and mute if possible when not in use, or turn off.

Also make sure speakerwires are terminated safe or solid attached to connectors, to avoid damage, never mess with cables unless amp turned off.

Knop turn.., look at the volume knop and see it as a watch, turn up to say 12:00 o:clock
    Thats half a turn knop but often more than 100% of the amp output with risk of ruin speaker units.
    You often hear situations that small children turn knob fully on without knowing what they do..., most speakers will not survive a signal coming through that.

Hope this is clear

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Spt likes this.
  3. Dahuky

It is, besides one thing. Why would the manufacturer make the volume knob that way and not 0-100 as expected?

4. Dahuky

well, just talked to the sugden dealer here, a very nice guy with very fair prices. he has both a21 and a21se on the way from the uk, i will jump over with my falcons when they arrive, and should go on the same day to try out the line magnetic amps either. will report back. thanks to every one for their kind help!

btw, should i look also after other sugden models? or the a21 is the best.

Tawaun A Williams, 33na3rd and bhazen like this.
  5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

You need to decide for yourself. That's what the audition is for.

6. Dahuky

he only has a21 and a21se.

7. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Both classic Sugden. My guess is you’ll be very pleased with either of these two. Enjoy your audition.

layman and bhazen like this.
  8. Pmds55889397

You can read details of the various editions on Sugden website, they are all very very good amplifiers, build to last even they are class A and gets very hot.

Make sure to have a good source on a similar high level

Dahuky likes this.
  9. Dahuky

they have a new picture at their site. [​IMG]

bhazen, Tawaun A Williams and SteveKr like this.
  10. een

een Well-Known Member

The Radford STA-15 is a gorgeous match with the LS3/5a...

11. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

The A21's are NOT the best by Sugden. There is the IA/4 Integrated, the 50th Anniversary Model and then you have the entire Masterclass series. A21's are near the bottom.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  12. Pmds55889397

I haven't heard the IA4 range but some do describe the A21 variants to just as good if not better apart from price & power.
    My experience with most amps from the A21 is very positive.

Nobody talks about source, is there any point in getting $8K amp/speakers with Iphone level source ?
    Why do people ignore #crap-in = #crap out ?

13. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

The amp I'd buy to drive the Falcons would be this one - FLS9 - Integrated Amplifiers - FLS - Audia (with future dac/streaming board)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  14. Dahuky

Because i asked about amps.
    If you care, i play dsd using my great gustard x16.
    Gold in gold out.

timind likes this.
  15. Billion$Baby

Not sure what business classes you attended BUT a company doesn't cannibalize its higher priced products by selling the same or better quality products at a lower price point. Im sure that the people stating the a21 line is as good as the higher priced issues are doing so out of ignorance/jealousy as usual in this hobby.

16. Dahuky

i disagree. although you are right in terms of the company, sometimes its happens for some reason that the lower grade product, as a whole, is better then another product made out of more expensive parts.

timind likes this.
  17. Billion$Baby

By all means please give examples of this in the Audio World.

18. Dahuky

most people prefer the leben 300 over the 600.

Art K, Spica and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  19. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I’ve heard the Rega I/o is as good as or better than the Brio. Sounded pretty good to me, but didn’t have a Brio to compare.

Art K, bhazen and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Fair enough

21. Pmds55889397

The little IO is very good VFM
    If looking for Class A. amplication (Sugden amo) try look at EWA from the founder of Tellurium Q cables, now EWA.

bhazen likes this.
  22. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Hi

That Raphaelite is likely very good indeed. They are one of the better manufacturers, they also supply transformers to many of the ‘ prestige’ Euro brands. They are also mostly point to point wiring so should give long trouble free service. As for the suggestions of Quad 303, Rega, Naim etc they won’t even be close. I have a 303 ( serviced ), it’s not a patch on my bespoke DIY EL 84 amp..

Trashing all gear from China is just shear ignorance on my view.

inperson, Soundsense and timind like this.
  23. Dahuky

should i be aiming for a 16 ohm out amp?

24. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I would definitely buy that Raphaelite. It’s optimised for 16 ohms on output trannies..

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

+1

I've heard LS3/5A's with all those. You can't go wrong. Exposure do exceptional soundstage (if that's your thing.) Naim are still the kings of rhythm, Rega a great all-rounder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.