Amp to improve my Klipsch rp 600m?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eyeCalypso, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

tubes or as I do toe out (or in) so the horn doesn't face you directly

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Nice to see Stereophile taking Klipsch speakers seriously.

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- that Yaqin MC-13S. It will make your speakers sing!

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I'm really interested in this Klipsch speaker.

5. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't read the article yet. Did it receive a positive review?

6. eyeCalypso

I'll look into it, thanks.

7. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Herb gave it an incredibly positive review, “super highly recommended”. In the Elekit 8600 review, he thought the pairing w the Klipsch 600m and chord qutest could match systems $20,000 plus. I think to take this w a grain of salt, however it’s undeniable that Klipsch has always marched to its own beat and prioritize sonic values that many big box brands have strayed away from. To get this for ~$500 is an incredible value. I think this would make an excellent 2nd pair of speakers to own for flavor and playing w amplifier types bc of its higher sensitivity.

I just bought a pair when it was on sale for $100 off last week, thinking of getting that exact system to try out.

8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

We were in Barnes & Noble yesterday so I checked out the Stereophile review. Incredibly positive is right, seems they at least held their own against any speaker he tried. I also noted the impedance measurement - they specifically recommended the 4-ohm tap on a tube amp and that's what I've been using.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

RP-600M just given a class C rating recommended components by Stereophile.
    I actually just heard them to see what the buzz was all about (Steve G the audiophiliac also called them speaker of the year) . Unfortunately a well broken in pair sounded OK and I didn't hear anything to justify the enthusiasm. Not to say that cannot sound good with the right amp (tubes for sure) but at this price I would keep saving for some used LS50s

10. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Comment of the week, as far as I'm concerned! Thanks for this!

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Class C is bad news. I am not a Klipsch fan with the exception of Cornwall & Klipschorn speakers. Owned Cornwalls and heard the vintage Klipschorns with upgraded crossovers on a tube amp. Present living quarters do not support the huge Cornwalls well and my present Revel Performa M22 speakers overall are a little better on my tube amp.

The Revel M22 driver is current in new Revel speakers and the new speakers have a tweeter change- beryllium vs M22 titanium. Now, new Revel equivalent speakrs cost $4K a pair. I suspect the Revel M22 outperforms the LS50 so think about that.

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. eyeCalypso

Wait. I haven't read this issue yet, but Stereophile both praised and trashed the same pair of speakers in the same issue?

13. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Inspire. Great amps but at approx 5x the OP’s budget

14. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Class C is not a bad ranking. Remember this list is Stereophile’s Recommended Components, it just means that the speaker is widely liked by staff but has enough quirks and perhaps the measurements for it to not be categorized as class “A”. Rankings are there to serve as a guideline but don’t take them as objective truth. Listen and make your own judgements :)

The class c components includes Klipsch Heresy III and Magnepan .7, wharfedale 11.2, Elac b6... these are excellent performers and at an excellent price point.

If they dont recommend a speaker than they wouldn’t list it in this list at all.

yodog and eyeCalypso like this.
  15. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Beware of a glowing review and a low ranking. Stereophile is famous for this.

16. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

That's their shtick. The classifications always seemed silly to me but some seem to take them very seriously as if it implied something about how a product sounds.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

I find their differentiation between C and B speakers is fairly accurate, but between B and A speakers I've heard, it seems far more subjective.

18. allthumbs

allthumbs Well-Known Member

I know the RP160m's got very good reviews from the German Hi-Fi Press and ranked well in the Top Class for "kompaktlautsprecher" ( compact speakers/ bookshelf/stand mount) in their list of speakers and various other components, they are ranked. Both the 600m and 160m are up there with some pretty good company including the likes of the KEF LS50 and Harbeth P3ESR. The 60o rates above the 160 but not by much.

This is about the latest list I could find, it might give some users solace and non-users pause for thought.

I was going to attach a copy of the file of the list, but I can't seem to find out how to do that?

19. RPepper

RPepper Active Member

Hi, I got a pair of Klipsch RP-600s a few weeks ago and this thread has gotten me interested in looking at a Schitt Freya+. My problem is I have a Home Theater set-up with a Yamaha RX-683 which does not look like it has pre-outs or capable of a bypass. I want to keep the home theater setup but am rediscovering all of my old records after buying a Fluance turntable. Should I think about upgrading the receiver and getting the Freya+.

This is all new to me and I appreciate your patience and any possible advice.

20. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Stereophile reviews and rankings are typically pointless and formulaic. I basically just read the letters and look at the pictures.

21. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The part I cited here and the rest of the post is a very good, extensive and detailed, explanation of the problem.

What I would add, from my personal experience, is that the final spectral quality of sound in any real listening room (professional control room or an “ordinary” living space) results from a reasonable acoustical treatment of the room and a reasonable active spectral equalization (graphic or parametric).

Concerning the active spectral equalization, it must necessarily affect (reasonably boosting) the “25…45 Hz” band, to compensate, to a reasonable degree, the strong roll-off of “market” LSs’ acoustical efficiency from 50…60 down to ≈25 Hz. I say “market” LSs to intentionally exclude from this category huge real full-range (20…20000 Hz) studio monitors (sometimes manufactured coupled with excellent quality power amps specially designed for them) priced at $3,000…8,000 apiece…

22. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

I have the RP280Fs and I am very happy with them also. The tweeters sound so clear at ear level. I truly enjoy them. Im glad to see others love the series and the newer 600s also. My room is not very good and the little Schiit Loki will make about anything play nice with the Klipsch speakers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  23. Fomovo69

Fomovo69 Active Member

I picked up a 1990 Luxman R 115 on E bay for $300.00....under rated @ .70WPC...good clean power

24. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

A-s501 should be a great match...I use a a-s801 a great amp

25. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

I get good results from a Pioneer sx 939 receiver driving my Klipsch RP 160.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.