Amplification vs. Normalization

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Col Kepper, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Which one do you use (or is used most) in bringing the loudness of a vinyl rip close to -0.0?
    I have switched to using Amplify in Audacity over Normalization because I perceive a more pleasant result... or it could just be my own ears tricking me.
    I amplify at 24/96 before down sampling to 16/44.1
    What say you all?
    Thanks.

2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Depends on how the software works.

Are you referring to peak normalization or loudness normalization? Because peak normalization won't affect dynamics like loudness normalization, though loudness normalization may "smooth" some of the harsher passages, giving the appearance of a more pleasing overall sound.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Normalization in Audacity is Amplify + a few extras. Specifically DC Offset and the ability to amplify per channel.

I personally use Amplify for my neededrops, and try to get them to -.4db max. 0db is, imo, too high as I get clipping if I re-transcode to AAC later.

4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I was messing around with normalizing my vinyl rips, and I was never pleased with the results. The sound always added some type of "fatigue" to my listening experience.

I'm using Adobe Audition and the Hard Limiter option is currently my choice for taking my recordings up to a specific dB level.

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Neither; instead I engage track/album ReplayGain in my foobar2000. Works great: the volume control can stay the same and the original tracks remain intact... ;)

6. Hoser Rob

Hoser Rob Member

Sorry, but I don't see the point of doing any signal processing on a 24 bit rip.

But if you must, and for headphones it ain't such a bad idea, I agree that replaygain is the way to go.

7. Thurenity

I disagree. At least with my ADC, the input volume is hard set and quite low (around -10db, on average, but sometimes possibly as low as -14db). I actually prefer this as there's no chance of clipping even when I wash it through ClickRepair. But when doing the side edits in Audacity, I up the amplification before I chop up the tracks.

So how high should one go? With a CD that decision has already been made for you, but with an analog rip it's not like the engineer wanted you to listen at -14db -- it's really up to the listener. I used to amplify to -1db per side, then that inched up to -.4db now. Dynamics are still retained, but at least my headphone amp and cans aren't struggling to get to a reasonable volume.

To each his own.

8. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

If the result you have is more pleasant for you, what for something more?

9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I usually boost stuff to -0 dBFS but that's because having audio as loud as possible is useful for output from phones or to weakly amplified speakers/headphones. Most of the time, if a piece of audio isn't already dynamically compressed to hell, then only one or two peaks will reach -0 dBFS when boosted anyway.

If you have no problem with loudness though, it's probably most sensible to not go beyond -1 dBFS or so.

10. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I use Audition 3.0. I normalize to -.3 db (per Barry Diament). Lately I've been doing Amplify - it lets me calculate how much I need to amplify to get to my target, -.3db, I take that value (making sure that each channel is not amplified by the same amount). I thought Normalize is the same as the steps, in one swoop?
    I Amplify because my recordings usually will end up as Redbook, which I listen to instead of the 24/96 files. If that were the case, I wouldn't bother.

11. Thurenity

Loudness is a concern, as you mentioned - ensuring that my cans / headphone amp aren't struggling. But since my FLAC "masters" do get re-transcoded later, I try to keep just a little padding from the top end to avoid clipping later on. I suppose I could just control this in Audiocoder as well (the tool I currently use to transcode). It has a Gain button to increase or drop as needed, again to minimize clipping.

12. Col Kepper

because when the player is on shuffle, the track ripped from LP tends to be quieter than the track ripped from CD, especially a CD manufactured in the last 4 or 5 years.

13. Col Kepper

I keep my FLAC masters in the original rip 24/96 at the original volume.
    I guess my problem lies in the post processing.

14. Simba

Simba New Member

Hello
    One_L
    I had a same problem but final i came to a best setting which is -23 Loudness and Level to (NOT Zero) it should be -0.3, it will sound like your level are low but if you have a good amp then you have no problem, Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.