Amplifier advice and recommendations in the £800-£1,250 range? (CXA81 or?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by katieinthecoconut, Sep 27, 2022.

1. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I'm looking at upgrading/changing my amplifier from my current Rega Brio to something I'll enjoy a little bit more. The Brio is fine, but the interference from its small form factor and the fact it doesn't entirely grab me means I want to go with something new.

My equipment profile is up-to-date, I use Spendor A10 speakers, I'd quite like an amplifier that compliments them well.

My requirements are mainly a good fit for my system. It'd be nice to go with an amplifier with a DAC, perhaps, if the DAC were a significant upgrade on my Topping D50s. A phono stage is nice, but not essential, as I'm currently in a phase with vinyl where I may sell my turntable and get out of that entirely. I don't need bluetooth.

I'm currently looking at the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and wondering if anyone can offer thoughts on it versus the Brio, its DAC versus the specs of the Topping D50s. ("The D50s combines the ESS ES9038Q2M double DAC, the XMOS U208 USB input module and the OpAmp OP1612.") My hope, perhaps I'm wrong, is that I might get an upgrade of both items, given it has a built-in DAC, while sacrificing the phono stage.

Recommendations other than the CXA81 are also welcome. There doesn't seem to be much at this price point. My budget is around the £1,000 mark, let's say £800-£1,250, and I'm in the UK.

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Have you considered gently used kit lots more value for money

3. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Go for the best Rega your budget permit.
    They are offer one of the best price/performance I have experienced.
    Impressive stuff :)

4. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I don't think getting a amp with a DAC is the way to go at this point with your system.
    Maybe the TEAC AX 505 is your style and fitting to your form. I have the TEAC AP505 power amp, seriously beautiful sound.

5. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Croft Integrated. No DAC though. More for vinyl set up.

Naka9 likes this.
  6. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Cambridge Audio stuff usually seems to get good feedback so the CXA81 would definitely seem to be a contender. If you're considering one of those, I'm assuming you must be relatively near a branch of Richer Sounds, in which case you could also consider:

Audiolab 8000A
    Rotel A14 MkII

both of which are very well regarded and come in at under a grand albeit the Audiolab doesn't include a DAC. RS also seems to have something of an offer on a Marantz PM8006 @ £899 which normally sells for about £1400 albeit also sans DAC.

I suppose the options available to you will also be determined by proximity to other dealers.

As has been suggested you do get a fancier bit of gear for your money but not everyone likes to do that since it can be contingent on what's available at a given time not to mention numerous other logistical/ practical considerations!

7. katieinthecoconut

I'm now considering the Rega Elex-R as it looks like an upgrade from the Brio and doesn't seem to report the issues I have with it. I may combine this with a DAC upgrade which I suppose would do the most for my system. I know there's a new Elex-R coming soon, but I suspect the upgrades to it may well be features that I don't want.

There doesn't seem to be too many good options at the price point. A lot come with so many features I don't want that it makes me worry that I'm paying for less amplifier. The CXA81 also seems to, from the specs, unless I'm missing something, have really high power consumption in standard operation relative to other amps, which with current electricity bills isn't appealing.

8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

It never occurred to me to mention the Elex-R since I (wrongly) assumed you may have wanted a change. I don't know how much a jump it (or anything else mentioned here, for that matter) would be over your Brio but if you love the Rega house sound were mostly looking for something with a slightly more conventional form-factor/ size, then an Elex-R would also be an option.

There's also something like a Denon PMA-900HNE which contains a DAC and network streaming, although the latter may well be a feature you don't want and as you said before, no point paying for more features/ less amplifier - a philosophy with which I can totally agree!

9. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

My bet Elex/R is the better amp to enjoy.
    Cambridge seem to perform quite sterile, neutral to the boring point.
    Don't underestimate importance of source, you can't improve a mediocre signal, no matter what amp/speakers.

10. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Croft Excellent with Spendors

11. katieinthecoconut

I took a good look at the Croft Intergrated Phono but apparently the lead time to get one from him is several months right now and that's just a bit too long for me.

I've went for the Elex-R, I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow/

Blank Frank likes this.
  12. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Croft has a waiting list for the last 40years , Dealers should have them in stock
    Croft will compare not to the Elex but the £7,500 Osiris

13. lots of good thoughts so far but i am a huge Cyrus fan and as you live in the uk i would certainly audition some Cyrus gear imo

kundryishot likes this.
  14. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Excellent choice. Enjoy :)

15. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

It'll be interesting to hear your take on it and how it differs from the Brio...