Amplifier Clearance Requirement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paratus, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Yes, but that sounds like a real amplifier, not an integrated that you need to access to for selecting inputs, adjusting volume, and feeding with multiple source components...

Khorn likes this.
  2. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

It'll get above 70 degrees now!

Kidding. I did a little looking around and found that the Michi outputs about 3,000 BTU/Hr.
    Also, "In a standard climate, 40,000 BTU is enough to heat a 1,000 sq ft area in a normal climate."

I wouldn't have a shelf above the Michi and in a forced air heating/cooling system you ought to have more than enough clearance.

Ingenieur and jonwoody like this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

They use the same design in their integrated amplifier. Very effective cooling.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Same here. It's no surprise that most separate amps are on the floor. It's a little more difficult with an integrated amp on a floor. The only way to comply is to put the integrated amp on the top of a rack.

Khorn likes this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Very true. That’s the only place I would put one also. Just trying to point out how advanced in cooling design and implementation these amps are.

6. Paratus

Paratus Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Update: I've had the Michi X5 for about a month now and in my small listening room driving my 85db, 4-ohm speakers to a listening level of 80db for approximately 1.5 hours the amp doesn't even get warm. Cold to the touch...no issues at all and the sound quality is excellent!

7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I too have my amp on floor in front of my equipment stand and I find it quite easy to access the controls on the amp stand. Easier in fact. I will admit I didn't like the idea of a floor mounted amp rack at first when I found out the glass shelves on my equipment shelf couldn't hold the weight of my amp. The amp doesn't project beyond the face of my speakers so it really isn't in the way. I am fully on board with the approach now that I have seen and used it.

The perspective in this shot is a bit deceiving, There is about 3" clearance behind the amp and the shelf behind it. More than enough to plug in audiophile speaker cables and XLR interconnects. You can also see the labels on the terminals from above, unlike the situation with the amp stuffed into an enclosure.

[​IMG]

Khorn likes this.
  8. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I call BS and say use common sense.

If it really needs that it should have been built with a freaking fan. What is that another 5 bucks for a PC fan to cool it?

Between monoblocks and my ham equipment that uses much larger tubes and PS, none of it needs that kinda clearance. If it does, the designer should have incorporated some cooling.

9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I bought cooling fans on Amazon...about $20.

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I wonder what all the fuss is about then? Congrats on a great amp!