Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Forum Resident

You know what you need? You need to sample the exquisite cuisine of the Far East. Well, we're right on time.

Jamey K and BZync like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fat chance of ever seeing a reunion movie of That Thing You Do...would have been great!

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Forum Resident

What if they did a movie about the Wonders being approached by TJ Lubinsky for one of those "My Music" specials.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

anything will be good for me.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

It'd be very easy to make a sequel to "TTYD" - just have the middle-aged musicians reunite and go on a package tour with other one-hit 60s bands.

I'm eternally grateful that Tom Hanks has not done this, though.

"TTYD" is a special little gem, and a sequel would never come close to the onederful nature of the original.

It's like the Spinal Tap projects. Some were fun, kinda, but they weren't fun enough to feel like they didn't somewhat cheapen the perfection of the film... :shrug:

6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

This was my favorite thing from the pandemic. I've watched it a couple of times since. Both of my 20 something kids love the movie. My Marine watched
    several times when he was deployed.

Comet01, Michael and David Fischer like this.
  7. Michael

yes, that was most excellent!
    and thank your Marine for me for his service.

Jamey K likes this.
  8. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I will. He can do the entire script as the movie plays.

Michael likes this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I agree, but I remember reading that Shearer, McKean, & Guest had to put out some kind of Spinal Tap product periodically in order to legally continue to be able to use the name. Then there was a lawsuit by them regarding merchandising royalties and it likely helped their legal standing that they continued to utilize the creative property. Rob Reiner supported them. I don't know all of the legal details, but I don't think anyone put their hearts into the various Spinal Tap projects, as it was all partially a legal maneuver.

Even if the principals had put their best work forward, it still would have felt a bit cheapened.

10. Michael

me too! that's how much I love this movie...I can relate. ; )

Jamey K likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM No static at all

That's That Thing You Do. This is What I Do.

12. Oatsdad

I don't begrudge MM, HS and CG their attempts to capitalize on "Tap", and if people enjoyed these endeavors, that's cool.

It just felt like the movie was the proverbial lightning in a bottle and no followups could ever live up to it.

I see "TTYD" the same way. There's just no way "That Thing You Do... Again!" would be 1/1oth as good.

Some movies spawn sequels readily, and some are best left alone. I've always been grateful Spielberg refused to make a sequel to "ET", as the story it told was so perfect as it was!

13. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Or as the star of The Chris Isaak Show.

14. Oatsdad

How much did that show get? I never saw it!