An entirely good box set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Has there ever been an entire box set that has undergone an SH-worthy remastering?

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Not exactly SH worthy, but Elvis Close Up as remastered by Vic Anesini is excellent (IMHO).

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

4 CD box set "Club Verboten", remastered by SH

[​IMG]

4. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Close Up rules my particular Elvis world right now. Send Vic back in to the vaults for some more!

5. I am rather fond of Elvis Presley - The Complete 1950's Remasters.
    5 cd's of true clean mono with the last disc all alternate takes and live versions.

The Elvis boxes of the last 3-4 years have had an edgey treble boost,
    but not that 1992 era 50's box, and if memory serves (I did not buy it - sadly) the 60's box.

6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

how would you guys rate Springsteen's Tracks?

I really like the sound on that set, especially on the older stuff, but I'm still trying to educate myself on what professionals consider good sound.

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

As always. I seem to be the Rhino advocate here but the Everly Brothers "Heartaches and Harmonies" box set may be the best compiled box ever. How many carreer boxes have a last disc musically as strong as the first? EVERYONE should own this.
    I think it sounds good too.
    While i'm at it. how about Echo & the Bunnymen, Little Feat or Los Lobos sets?

8. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I own Elvis Presley - The Complete 1950's Remasters; I think the 50's stuff that SH remastered beats this version hands down (IMO).

We need to get Mr. Hoffman or Vic Anesini to remaster the entire Elvis catalog from the original masters.:cool:

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Bear Family Bonanza box is definitely Steve-worthy.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Well, technically, Steve did remaster a box set that was put together from the DCC Miles Davis Quintet recordings: MILES, COOKIN', RELAXIN', WORKIN', STEAMIN.'

I think the retailer took a print run of the very nice LP-sized booklet and box that was issued for the vinyl set, purchased the corresponding DCC gold discs, and sold it as a box set. I don't know if they included a tray, or if the CDs were left to rattle around in the box as sometimes happened with these sort of third-party boxes, which are more common in the UK.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good point. That 2 day Miles period is mind blowing!

I also like the Atlantic R&B 8CD box. I mean, there's the Stax/Volt stuff, but that Atlantic box takes care of so much in "so little time". The box could have easilly been 14 discs and still would have been just as riviting as a straight listen.

Okeh R&B Box comes close second. That is, until I change my mind next week or whatever...

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I think Inglot did superlative work on the first Stax/Volt box and the first Hitsville U.S.A. set. Nice, tubey goodness.

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Judging by their single disc efforts, Bear Family certainly deserves a mention for their obsessive boxes - I drool every time I look at their site to see what's new. I have almost all of their That'll Flat Git It! rocakbilly comps and they make a neat overview of a musical genre that produced mountains of great music for labels tiny to giant in size. I need to save my pennies for those Sun Singles sets they've done....

14. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I have to second the Atlantic R&B box. My wife listened to the whole thing in one day while she was at home with our babies (they've grown up since then). Killer sound, killer tracks ("A Beggar For Your Kisses" is one of my all-time fave 45 needle-drops!).

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Mark up another vote for the Atlantc R&Bs box! Every disc is a winner. I also agree that the Hitsville, Vol. 1 is an excellent box!

Two not mentioned are Chess Blues and Rhino's The Sun Records Collection. Both are essential and sound great!

16. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Indy, you need these. I have 'em and I'm happy as a hawg in doo-doo.

Bear does excellent work.

mud-:D

17. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

Down Every Road by Merle Haggard is a great sounding 4CD set! The 2CD George Jones box set is another all around good set.

The 3CD Essential Johnny Cash box is also very good.

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Some Motown ones I love:
    Hitsville
    Marvin Gaye - The Master
    Supremes box

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ooooooh, oooooh!!!! How do the Elvis singles sound on those beauteous boppin' discs??? Did Boppin' Bob Jones man the controls on alla the Sun Singles sets/some of them/none of them???

20. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Wunnerful! Boppin' Bob on the first box with the Elvis stuff. Mark Wilder too. I have ta check the other volumes in the daytime. That'd be tomorrow.

mud-:D

21. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've always thought the Earth Wind & Fire Eternal Dance box set had good sound, since it improved over the original Columbia CDs. Even the older tracks sound quite good, IMHO.

I don't know if the sources are the best, but the Rhino Burt Bacharach "Look Of Love" box set has got to be my favorite of any I own. Some tracks sound really good...a couple others are dicey...but the music is good enough that you don't really pay attention. :)

The 10-CD "Complete Roulette Recordings of Maynard Ferguson" set sounds quite good. I had a few of these on vinyl--not ONE of them had quiet surfaces!

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Chuck Berry Box on Chess/MCA sounds mighty fine and just like the Hoffman mastered Berry tunes on the Vintage CDs.

Joe L.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Randy Newman & The Doors Box set

24. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The Lynard Skynyrd Box-Set, mastered by Doug Schwartz (MCA). Sounds dry and straight.

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Simon & Garfunkel's Complete Columbia Studio Recordings!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.