An odd Christmas music request...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeM, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member Thread Starter

...odd coming from a rock 'n' roller like me, anyway!

But one of my fondest memories as a kid at Christmas was listening to Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians' musical treatment of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."

Back in that ancient time, we actually had this as part of a true 78 rpm "album." After it being a part of my Christmas for so many years, the record cracked -- as 78s were wont to do in those days. Even though I was in double digits age-wise by then, I was heartbroken.

Years later I found this piece on an LP on Decca, and later still on another (on Capitol? I'm not home to check right now and I can't recall). But both of these are re-recordings, not the version on the Decca 78, and a couple of the featured vocalists had aged and lost some of their original power.

Does anyone know if the original version of this has ever been issued? A long shot, I know, but I'd sure love to hear it again.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. For me, discovering this group is one of the truly good things to come out of 2004.

2. Peisistratos

Peisistratos Forum Resident

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been doing some digging myself following my original question.

First I found a Waring discography, which indicates that the piece was originally recorded for Decca in 1942. I suspect this is the version that was on the 78 I had. It was recorded for Decca again in 1954 (perhaps to take advantage of stereo? this is probably the one from the Decca LP) and yet again for Capitol in 1961.

I did discover the page you cite. The wav file here is the Capitol version, distinguishable by Waring's spoken introduction over the opening moments.

The version you speak of with whistling sounds more promising. I don't know if this would be the original or the 1954 remake, but I probably could tell if I heard it.

Thanks a lot for your help!

4. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I think I have the 78 - can you play them?

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Oops! It's not the 78 - it's a 10" long play 33 1/3 with a 1949 copyright date. Is this waht you're looking for? It's yours if you want it - merry Christmas! It's in pretty good condition - a few scratches, but not too bad. Just let me know and I'll get it out to you.

6. Peisistratos

Peisistratos Forum Resident

Well I can rip the whistle version quickly into mp3 and send it to you to check. PM me with your email if you want. However, going by sound quality alone, it seems more likely to be the 1954 version. But you never know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.