An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Sadly that's exactly how the majority likes it.

2. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I have a cunning plan. I will post a thread title about an upcoming Beatles Magical mystery tour remaster with two extra tracks in the thread title. But inside will be a post about Jazmine Sullivan, s overlooked masterpiece from last year.:hide:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

It's not just 'any old' Oldies though. There's a clutch of the same artist threads, with you know who smothering the pages like Japanese knotweed. And heaven forbid that the teensiest criticism is posted about them; that's a guaranteed nuking within about 30 seconds. Nostalgia drives the board, as it does the industry.

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Some of us do discuss it, but the threads rarely gain any momentum.
    I think it's just the age demographic of the site.
    Regardless, it's the BEST by far, and I'm a lifer for SHtv.:righton:

Sean, Tjazz, John Adam and 1 other person like this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Agree 100%, it's almost as if all the adults suddenly turned into children.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I disagree that the SHF is just an audiophile forum. There's lots of discussion here that's not about eq and remastering but simply about the music and what people think of it. Personally I'd love to see more discussion of 'new' music but it's often hard to get it going because people don't know the music. For example, how often do we get a sustained thread about bands like Of Monsters and Men (Icelandic) or Izia (French), both really excellent bands. The last record I bought was by a Belgian singer called Fridolijn - gorgeous indie/jazz/folk sound - but my guess is that most contributors to this forum don't know, or don't care about, such 'new' acts. That's a shame. I'm totally okay with discussing Classic rock acts - they're not called Classic for nothing, and as someone already noted, these acts still have a huge following among both young and old. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing is diversity. The broader the discussion base here the better. Keep those threads coming!

MsMaclen, mozz and John Adam like this.
  7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Mentioning The Beatles in the first post of a thread that isn't even about The Beatles is the right way to navigate these parts.:)

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  8. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

This isn't bad:

They can play, good singing. Rather a Celtic sound though, no? Reminds me of mid-career Rod Stewart. But I'd follow a thread on new bands, sure.

billnunan likes this.
  9. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

There is still plenty of good music and bands out there, but, finding good recordings is the current battle.

10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Oldies Forum? That's Crazy Man Crazy! :oops:

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm probably not as much of an audiophile as many on the forum; I'm mostly here to discuss songs I like (songs much more than albums). I still vastly prefer the music of the '60s, with some '70s and '80s and a bit of '90s thrown in (my list of non-'60s favourite songs is about equal in length to my list of '60s favourites by this time).

There have been threads about recent songs and I have often listened to a bunch of them and reported back, giving an honest opinion as neutrally as possible. If I'm impressed I'll say so, but unfortunately that isn't often. The last songs I really really loved were Dance Girl Dance by Cinerama and The Underdogs by Rialto, both from 1998. Having said that, I admit I don't search out new music nearly as much as I once did.

The OP mentioned big names: The Clash, The Beatles, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Kiss, Eric Clapton, The Who, The Beach Boys. I like some material by most of these artists to varying degrees and some of those from the mid-'60s are among my favourites, but I'm more into good "pop" (especially 1963-67) than "rock", and "classic rock" is alright but not a favourite genre either.

billnunan likes this.
  12. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Who cares? Leave the kidz I-Phone music to the kidz. These are our superstars from a great time in music, and obviously I'm not alone in that feeling as these artists dominate the forum top posts around here. And for good reason.

If threads on new music fall by the wayside, then it's because very few people care to keep them around. Majority rules!

13. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Is askdfrhry rrhfdiugf ghfhjtoe rfjrhthfh dkrje available 180g vinyl yet?

14. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Oldies is a term for my parents music, not mine. Still rocking and still relevant today. It dominates for a reason!

15. Vinyl Addict

And that is the attitude that plagues this place sometimes.

Please tell me, what is "Kidz I-Phone music"?
    I don't even own an "I-Phone" so I'm apparently way out of the loop.
    :shrug:

16. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

This forum 40 years ago would've been endless threads about Leadbelly and Jimmie Rodgers while The Who, Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, Floyd, Bowie, Springsteen, Elton, Black Sabbath, etc... would all be "crap nobody will still listen to come 1980, none of it will ever stand next to a real legend like Bing Crosby who nobody will ever be able to compare to" lol.

17. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Smartphone music. Stuff made for earbuds and short attention spans.

18. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

The sad thing is some people are fuddy duddies to the extent that when they're talking "that kiddie crap", they're referring to acts like U2 and REM lol. I remember a few years ago on a movie/tv forum someone who was obsessed with 50s tv was talking about how he hates "modern crap".... shows he referred to? MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, All In The Family and Cheers. Yep... current!!!

19. Vinyl Addict

Wouldn't that just be down to how it is mixed? I mean even Beatles music is available mixed for earbuds.
    Short attention span music? Is that a new genre?

20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I don't think so, for the Fab Four. Great on old record players and hi-fi systems alike. As for the genre question, perhaps it should be a new term! It certainly fits.

21. Vinyl Addict

Fits what? You never told us what " short attention span music" is.

e.s. likes this.
  22. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I am 55. When I joined up I had no idea that everyone else was too. Love to talk about all the artists I grew up with and have followed. But I don't live in a bubble. I pick up new music as it crosses my path. Got into The White Stripes, Kings Of Leon, Wilco, My Morning Jacket and The Black Keys as they came within my orbit. Nathaniel Ratecliff - I dug that record. Heck I want to go see Bruno Mars in August. But I mostly post about what I know so threads like the Exile one are going to appeal to me. I can't help it; it's what I know.

Zeki likes this.
  23. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Just look at the current charts, it's right there in front of you my friend. Though if you blink, you might miss it LOL.

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Actually, I'm really anxious for the upcoming Perfume Genius album. Along with being a great single, "Queen" always gets my adrenaline level up when it shows up in my running playlist. Plus "No family is safe when I sashay" is just one of the great in your face rawk-attitude line of the last couple years.

ralphb likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Aren't message boards in general beneath the youth of today?

And for all the old timers here I still cant get a 'Dion new album' thread past two pages. The "New York is My Home" thread from last year didnt get very far. Meanwhile a thread about a subpar McCartney solo record re-release is nearing 1000 pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.