An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've actually discovered a few modern artists, care of this forum. The threads and posts are out there, just not an easy find sometimes.

Best Of threads for 2017 I also enjoy reading. Great way to sample music.

Sean, John Adam, Brian Lux and 2 others like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's okay Zodiac, you can take solace in the knowledge that at least a few of us here think the upcoming Kickin' Child is the vault release/re-issue of the year.

troggy, Andrew J and Daniel Plainview like this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I thought it meant an oldies forum for members over 50 or something.:eek:

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Same difference ;)

eric777 likes this.
  5. moops

moops Senior Member

I listen to KISS just as much as the other artists on that list, and actually more often than a couple of them. :righton:

6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

There are self help groups available.

Sean, Andrew J and royzak2000 like this.
  7. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

This this this. Though having said that, there's a lot of discussion on newer music in all its fragmented glory on Reddit and the like; it can in fact quickly slide into received wisdom and mob mentality, more than you might think -- try telling some twentysomthing music nerds you liked the second xx album best, or Untitled/Unmastered more than To Pimp a Butterfly. I've never been 100% comfortable with either the ignorance of older music in those circles (I have to roll my eyes when someone who listens to indie rock incessantly doesn't know who the Replacements are, which I admit is unfair on my part) or the historically condescending attitude toward new music on this forum. Popular music/rock & roll was better and more unified in the '60s, but it's wonderful now and I feel like I'd shrivel up if I didn't keep hearing it. But I think sh.tv has improved a lot in this regard since I started posting -- I saw a terrific show by Kate Tempest this week and was able to post some thoughts about it here without getting run out of town, and usually if there's something I want to share there's a dedicated thread I can seek out, and they don't necessarily all descend into the petty arguments of yesteryear. And look, I heard 33 new albums in 2016 that I really loved and I wish they'd all gotten gobs of attention (some did)... but I'm an obsessive Beatles fan too. So I make do with the situation.

MsMaclen, Sean, Brian Lux and 3 others like this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

And end up a po-faced rock expert with great taste in music ? ....... sounds boring !

Mechanical Man likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Music was splintered in the 1980's also, at least in my neck of the woods.

I was enjoying bands like The Smiths, for example, where most people I knew in school hadn't even heard of them. Or The Replacements. Or early U2 or REM, they were more underground / college bands at the time. And then later in the decade it was Hüsker Dü. Pixies and lots and lots of metal bands that weren't Metallica.

Might be why I don't mind the music scene in the 21st century as, in some ways, there are parallels. In 1986 I got the deer in the headlights look when I talked about "The Queen is Dead", and today I get the same looks when I go on about "Whiteout Conditions". Music is primarily a personal experience for me, and if it expands out to a few other people (be it face-to-face or on a music forum) then that's just a bonus.

MsMaclen and zphage like this.
  10. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Better than a lot of bands. :buttkick:

moops likes this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I am aware that The Replacements did help pioneer the "alternative/indie rock" scene in the 1980s but I do understand that more modern generations would not be aware of this. If you ask a random person on the street here in the US who Kate Bush is, they usually do not have a clue. The same with one of today's CCM listeners if they have heard of Amy Grant or Sandi Patti or Petra or DeGarmo & Key or Keith Green, they don't have a clue.

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

80% of the people on this forum must be over 50.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. dustybooks

Yes, I agree with you. But I'm a person who has always tended to want to know the genesis and origins of things -- I loved R.E.M. as a teen in the '90s and that made me want to know about their influences like Patti Smith and the Velvets, etc. -- and also have an inclination to explore the past, specifically what enthusiasts treasure the most in various fields and genres. I'm a library staffer by trade so maybe this is mostly about me, but it's foreign and frustrating to me that everyone doesn't have this same impulse... it's entirely unfair and I know it. And it goes the other way too, with my wanting everyone to spend hours a week exploring new releases which is a hell of a lot of work. My wife thinks I'm cool.

BradOlson likes this.
  14. BradOlson

Yes indeed, although I am soon to be 39 years old, a huge chunk of the people are over 50.

zebop likes this.
  15. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The irony is....

Many of the new music 'defenders' will cite how...of course new music is out there...it's just not in your face, you have to dig for it. OK

So...in this thread...many, most, if not all the topics on the first page might be old, 70s and before, music...but hey, new music threads ARE in here...you might just have to dig to page 2, 3 or even page 10 to find them.

SO......What's wrong ?

Defense of digging for current music....but 'offense' or the inconvenience of having to dig for those same threads here ? Of course I'm not saying you or the OP...just sayin' in general.

I don't get the inconsistency.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    broshfab4 likes this.
  16. BradOlson

I agree. As a child, I listened with my foster family a lot of Michael W. Smith's "Project" album, and learned that the first CCM album he's ever heard in his lifetime is the Everlasting Living Jesus Music Concert Maranatha album which is a great album, IMO and knew that he played keyboards for Amy Grant and I've heard her a lot on the Christian station in Duluth, MN.

zebop likes this.
  17. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Because this is precisely the place a lot of us come to in order to make the search easier. Don't understand how that fact could possibly elude you.

18. BradOlson

The fact that Dierks Bentley released a Bluegrass based album and it tanked on the charts says it all about what the majority of today's hot country generation thinks about the roots of the genre.

zphage and panasoffkee like this.
  19. dustybooks

I'm one of the people who says this a lot, and like I already mentioned, I don't really mind "digging" for threads. This board isn't the best place in the world to try and discover the greatest music of our day, but it's busy and varied enough that there's still good discussion to be found. It's just not the primary focus.

Two of my biggest enthusiasms in terms of guitar music in the past two years have been Ezra Furman and the Wave Pictures, neither of whom would get a lot of play even on a board fully dedicated to music of the 2010s -- they are basically ignored by the American press and I don't think they have significant fan bases over here at all, much less any sort of collective of hardcore fans like I might have seen for any given band around 2001. Everything's a niche. Even '60s music is a niche, at least with people my age -- admittedly a lot of us but it's still just part of the cornucopia. Since my biggest passion is probably the '56-'65 era, this seems like a decent place to hang my hat with the possibility of discussing my favorite new music too, rather than a forum where great new hip hop and indie rock gets regularly discussed but everything else I like is off-limits. Everything's a compromise.

20. OnTheRoad

To me 'the search' is a fun aspect. Online or in the stores.

We could have many, many subforums here and there'd still be a "need" for more by someone. I agree with our host in that we have enough forums and no need for a 'new music', 'old music', or even a 'Beatles' forum. :)

Maybe a Zappa, a King Crimson, a Gentle Giant, a Miles Davis and even a Zombies forum....but hey, that's just not enough ! :shrug:

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think what the OP is getting at is not so much looking for new music (we have some other threads, like the 2017 Best Of, where one can sample tons of stuff and it manages to get ongoing activity here). I think it's more about talking about new music you're already into and want to discuss more.

That Sgt. Pepper one, for example, is pretty massive right now - it even has a sales pitch from our host on his home page. It seems that he knows his main target audience as well.

John Adam and eric777 like this.
  22. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

As a whole, Music is no different than clothing, food or the way you decide to furnish your house. What person number one likes may be 75% in agreement with person number two, but draws the line at item X, while person number three makes a sick, wrinkled nose reaction and yells "Geez....How can you POSSIBLY STAND THAT??"

eric777 likes this.
  23. OnTheRoad

In my post I focus on threads about 'talking' about new music...not just looking for new music. The Search....is part of the process in my book ! Yeah, sometimes it is difficult. Often times I find threads on this forum easier when I do a simple google search, versus using the search here. It's not a problem for me.

Gaslight likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ive bumped a number of threads here, care of a search. May not last long but at least the OP of said thread knows that there's at least one person who appreciated the attempt.

John Adam and panasoffkee like this.
  25. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I think: who gives a damn? You like what you like what you like. This isn't Rolling Stone magazine. If you want to start a thread on Chance the Rapper, who's stopping you?

MsMaclen, SixtiesGuy, Grant and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.