Analog to Digital Converters - for vinyl ripping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by recstar24, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've read the Parks Audio Puffin Phono pre does a nice job ripping into FLAC files. Of course that would be a second phono stage but it has lots of cool features.

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah I think if I were starting a vinyl rig from scratch the puffin with digital output into my nice dac would definitely be on the shortlist. But my current phone a pass aleph ono ain’t going nowhere so no biggie.

3. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I'm not sure it matters for your rack, but the Denon unit rack mounts are removable (not sure on the Tascams...). I took mine off before I even set it up...
    (recording some Tull right now...)

recstar24 likes this.
  4. harby

harby Forum Resident

It doesn't "rip". I was disappointed when I looked into it before. For all the fanciness of selectable DSP RIAA EQ, there is no digital output or computer interface.

It can be modified to add a SPDIF output - but then you still need a computer sound interface with a coax SPDIF input accepting 96/24.

500Homeruns likes this.
  5. harby

harby Forum Resident

I wouldn't recommend anybody buy a new Apogee unless they know what they are getting into, or will only use the ADAT or MADI. They screwed over purchasers of $3500 equipment by stopping PC development at XP service pack 2, you can't even run SP3 and use the X-Firewire interface.

Same goes for Avid and Protools. Every version drops hardware support and drops or requires new OS support. Someone steals your iLok dongle? They stole $2000 of software and plugins you are forced to buy again.

Same for Universal Audio. Your device or plugins are rendered useless if it can't call home or if you didn't properly transfer accounts to the new owner.

Microsoft also sucks for completely re-writing an incompatible audio driver stack for Vista+, simply for DRM and blu-ray end-to-end encryption.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  6. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Apogee's always been bad with windows support- they're very apple centric- I mean, they're the only interface that has direct integration in Logic Pro, that tells you. a lot right there.
    Having said that though, apogee has had a a number of software development issues in the last few months regardless of platform.
    Dual-path support for the symphony desktop interface still isn't shipping- the less expensive element interfaces have had support for that for months now. . . and as far as the elements go, they still don't have a working driver for M1-based macs. It's annoying having all that power in my new MBP but having to go back to my crappy old 2018 intel MBP when I want to record audio. I actually transfer the projects back to the m1 after the tracks are recorded because it's so much faster, heh.
    oh look at that I wondered way the heck off topic. sorry. I'm annoyed at apogee lately. dual path is great though, and the apogee pultec plugin is basically my best plugin purchase of 2020. So conflicted!! :laugh:

recstar24 likes this.
  7. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I spent years trying to find a good A-to-D converter for vinyl. Typical sound cards on my computers weren't getting me where I wanted to go. For dedicated hardware it seemed like Pro Audio solutions were the only game in town, often requiring an 8 channel rig when all I really needed were 2 channels. More recently there have been soft very decent 2-channel offerings from traditional audio equipment companies, albeit likely above the price range that initiated this thread.

I managed to pick up a PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter after they were discontinued. The unit is quite flexible, as it can handle most cartridges (MM or MC) and can adjust load impedence on MC cartridges. Alternately it can handle a pair of regular RCA audio inputs for other sources (or for vinyl processed through my regular preamp). It can then convert analog signals to either PCM (sample rate to 192 kHz and word length to 24 bit) or DSD (single or double data rate). I don't have other hardware to compare it to, but the saved files are certainly as good as CDs and FLAC files I already have.

candyflip69 likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is what I use. The TASCAM is solid, makes cd-r copies that are (imo) perfect of the source (turntable, preamp).
    Records in real time, you can manually insert tracks, and if loaded into iTunes will automatically title and track list
    to your iTunes library (which is the only thing I use iTunes for,). I keep the cd-r as a "master" just in case any of the
    files need to be re-loaded or transferred to other devices. Works nice!

Sterling1 likes this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Best ADC I have used is in a circa 1992 Sony PCM-7010F. But, if I want better it might be a TASCAM DA-3000. Also, their CD Recorder, the one with AES-EBU input and output, seems nice too. Its AES-EBU connections I believe does not carry DRM or SCMS.[​IMG]

10. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I use MOTU M2. I am very satisfied with the quality of the obtained sound and with the real-time digital graphic representation of the channels for on-the-fly balancing.

M2 | MOTU.com

recstar24 likes this.
  11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah my bad. DIY mod I see now.

12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I use my cheap ASUS Xonar DSX 7.1 sound card at 44.1KHz. Believe it or not, it's got very good performance at this sampling rate. THD+N is <0.005 and THD < 0.001. I've measured it with ARTA with loopback through my DAC. Frequency response is within +/- 0.1 dB. I use the volume control on my DAC/preamp to set the record level so peaks are about -5 dBFs. My rips are totally transparent to my ears.

At higher sampling rates, the performance goes to crap for some reason.

13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'd echo this suggestion and add that you should record via XLR if your system allows it. One crucial element you'll want to look out for is the ability to adjust the gain on the record inputs to prevent clipping.

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yep, this is what I use.

recstar24 likes this.
  15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Just wondering if you're happy with whatever you decided on. I'm in the same boat and narrowed it down to pretty much the same options as you:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen
    MOTU M2
    Solid State Logic SSL2
    Tascam SD-20M

I do like the idea of the standalone Tascam model so I don't have to worry about future OS or motherboard compatibility issues. It's limited to 24/96 but I don't usually record higher than that anyway.

Does anyone think there's much difference in the quality of the converters between these models? They're all under $300 so I'm guessing not.

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

I'd go with the MOTU of those. The Focusrite is beaten by my 10-year-old Focusrite Saffire. The SSL is an outsourcing by the acquisition company, unproven yet. The Tascam only offers the convenience of consumer RCA in and out; you get 20dB worse noise and distortion - to not get your audio on a computer.

-

What everybody really wants is the RME ADI-2 FS. Besides remarkable recording quality with none of the nonsense like analog level knobs, mic pre, phantom power, digital effects, DSP, guitar input, it also has an endgame DAC that beats about anything "audiophile" at 10x the price. $1000 price range though.

ADC
    Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 121 dBA
    Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz – 20.5 kHz
    Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 3 Hz – 45.5 kHz
    Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 2 Hz – 92.7 kHz
    THD @ -1 dBFS: -114 dB, 0.00015 %
    THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
    Channel separation: > 110 dB
    Max Input Level AD: +19 dBu
    Input: XLR or 1/4" TRS, electronically balanced
    Input impedance balanced: 36 kOhm, unbalanced: 18 kOhm
    Input sensitivity switchable: +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu @ 0 dBFS

Your DAC can't do this:
    [​IMG]

Of course what one really wants is that ADC spec, including a phono preamp to match it, at half the price. The E-Mu 1616m was that (with the same irreplaceable ADCs as used in the "DIY audio analyzer"), optional word clock in, ADAT ports, etc , but quite discontinued.

[​IMG]

jamesc, BrilliantBob and recstar24 like this.
  17. recstar24

actually I’ve been very lazy so still haven’t gotten anything yet lol. Though I’m leaning towards the motu m2 simply because it looks better, appears to have solid ADC performance plus the midi connections will allow me to mess around with my digital keyboard for recordings and lessons.

but the RME that @harby posted above is the got damn truth that’s for sure

jamesc and BrilliantBob like this.
  18. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

MOTU M2.
    [​IMG]

As you see, I tested how MOTU automatically balance the output channels. I boost the R channel a little but the output signal is balanced. The real-time digital display is very helpful.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Classic Car Guy, jamesc and recstar24 like this.
  19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Really appreciate the recommendation, @harby. That RME looks awesome but yeah, probably more than I should be spending on transfers of my lowly new wave records. :) You really nailed it though on what we really want. Maybe a hobbyist will come up with something.

That E-Mu certainly has it's bases covered in regards to ports! I miss having S/PDIF but it doesn't seem like there's anything affordable with them these days. Back in the 90s I used the converter in my Sony DTC-A6 and ran that to the optical in on a Zefiro Acoustics ISA card but I suppose it wouldn't get as much use these days.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I'm a MOTU man.

21. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

22. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

23. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident

i run my onkyo’s phono out into a mackie stereo passive di box, then xlr out into a presonus audiobox 96

recstar24 likes this.
  24. recstar24

this one?

PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2 USB Audio Interface, Blue, PC/Mac - 2 Mic Pres https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071W6YVD...abc_E7KC5W051Y4D62CSHECY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

if so, would love to hear more of your thoughts on the quality of your rips and the process in general. I like the price (and that it’s from Amazon so easy returns if needed)

25. harby

harby Forum Resident

Look at the noise and distortion specs on that, even the phono stage, then go to the ART USB Phono Pre at half the price...

ZenArcher likes this.