Analog to Digital Converters - for vinyl ripping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by recstar24, Jan 17, 2021.

1. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I wasn’t aware of this one...great little box, great price.

2. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident

yes..that’s the one. so far i’m getting good results. i noticed the clip lights barely start to glow when digitizing loud records, but with the gains turned all the way down. i brought in the D.I box to help tame the heat levels of the phono line out, so i have a more controlled and cleaner feed going into the presonus

recstar24 likes this.
  3. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I’m a big proponent of the Sony PCM-A10.

4. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I've been debating a lot back and forth for awhile in my workflow and started to nail things down.

I have an RME Fireface UFX, which I plan to use as the ADC to feed my Tascam DA-3000 via the AES connection. As I have multiple analog sources (cassette decks, RTR, etc) I use a 1U 8-channel rackmount mixer and feed its output to the UFX.

I still have my old EMU-1616m but boxed up. Have audio that I want to record from some of the older game emulators on my XP box (NES, Sega, etc) to the 3000.

I had looked at the RME ADI-2 FS that another poster mentioned, but already having the UFX I don't think it will be necessary to get another ADC. Given RME's decent resale value I could easily sell the UFX and get the ADI. But then again maybe I should stick to what I have.

I have my Schitt Mani for the Phono Pre, but I am considering upgrading to something a little better. Plus on some records the level output seems hot but could be adjusted elsewhere in the chain. The 1616m also has a turntable preamp, but then would have to use the PC to make use of it. The DA-3000 eliminates me needing a computer at all, plus the UFX can also be used without a PC.

The files I record on the 3000 I cleanup on my workstation using Izotope RX 7 Advanced as needed. I also use a small wireless USB keyboard with the DA-3000 to rename my tracks so I can easily identify them in the workstation when doing the cleanups.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  5. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Sometimes it doesn't exist. Meaning sometimes there is no CD or it's OOP or sells at inflated collector's prices, and the record company never bothered to release a download.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  7. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

8. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

9. SSR3

SSR3 Well-Known Member

I started out with a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD using Logic Pro X to capture it in 192/24 and declick using an iZotope plugin. Wish I had known how affordable the Motu M2 is and I would have gone with that. Anyway, I really wanted to start ripping to DSD so I got a Korg DS-DAC-10R. I realize the MSRP is over your stated budget but I actually found mine new for $225...just had to be patient in finding it and then wait for shipping from Japan. I'm stuck with their super crap proprietary software to rip to DSD which I (technically) cannot declick (limitation of DSD, not the software) but, for any LP that I may feel needs the help of iZotope, I still have the option to select the Korg as the i/o device in my DAW and go through the original workflow. The connections are more simplified than using a typical audio interface as it's just RCA in/out (mine just sits in my tape loop and stays unplugged if I'm not ripping anything). I had no problems with my original setup and have read a lot of great ideas through this thread, just something else to think about. If the stated budget is an absolute sticking point and I had to start over I'd definitely go with the M2.

10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I'm thinking about getting the MOTU for pc mastering then to cassette recording. But I'm planning to get an Otari reel recorder in a few months. Maybe I should get the M4 instead. I don't have a USB C on my PC. What is the right way to connect this?

11. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I've just set up a raspberry pi using raspian (or Raspberry OS now) and Audacity.

My plan is to use a hifiberry DAC+ADC hat with it to enable capture of vinyl. It was set up with a Hifiberry DAC+DSP and Roonbridge for now but the ADC hat should be a straight swap when I get it. It took longer to work out adding the hat in Raspian than anything else.
    It's not real time so it's not a contender for the puffin or the sugarcube, but with a SDD I can capture the output, play with it, then transfer the rips to my laptop. Probably sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

jamesc and Classic Car Guy like this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Interesting. I was attempting to use the computer to record analog tracks coming out of the RCA going to a cassette or 4 track reel. Can these inboard components has the capability to do it?

13. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I think so. I have played around with the digital input I've got at the moment with the DAC+DSP and I'm 99% sure an analog signal will go through the ADC hat and then I can play with it in Audacity on the raspberry pi.

Probably a £100 outlay to do it all from scratch. The DAC+ADC captures at 24/192 AFAIK.

Technology constantly amazes me, especially these little raspberries.

HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC

14. Classic Car Guy

Okay cool.. Lets say if you want to inverse. The rca output will be analog. Can it be done or do I need to buy another external DAC?
    If I can move my recorder next to the computer, that would be a lot easier. I'm trying to save some time going back and forth to my recording station which is downstairs. After I level all the files I go downstairs and load it into the player, passing through a DAC. then 2 track deck. The travel time is the tiring part. This way itll save me and Ill give it a try and see how it sounds.

15. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

The output is analog. The hat has a DAC and a ADC.

16. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Forgot to say, it's set up headless, so I control it from my laptop over WiFi.
    I have also set up samba file sharing so I can copy rips straight over the network as well.

Outstanding little bit of kit.

17. Classic Car Guy

Oh cool..!

Glad you mentioned that part. I was thinking about wired file transfer. so I did the wirings last 2 weeks ago. But its already there, might as well use it.

I bought a Motu M4. 2 to 4 tracks. or 2 different at the same time. Lol.. Using this one, I'm gonna be needing to add more for my purpose..
    Looks like your package idea is all there and simplified
    Man I'm so excited. I try to put together as much music everyday and record it. If this new system works out on my computer this will definitely save a lot of time.

18. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'll try and do a simple write up if you'd like?

I'm happy to endure the pain so others don't have to ha ha.

19. Classic Car Guy

sure thing buddy.

20. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Running into some issues with the processing power of the Raspberry Pi 3B I have. However it is working and I am ripping a digital FLAC of Lola right now.
    For the Pi 3, I think its best to rip with Audacity on very basic settings (but sound activated recording which is brilliant), then transfer the ripped file to my laptop where there's no issues editing. I will try my Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb of RAM, that may be better.
    I messed things up at 3am this morning lol, so had to start from scratch.

21. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

So:

First WAV file created from the SPDIF input of a Hifiberry DAC+DSP Hat on a Raspberry Pi 3B, fed from a Chromecast Audio, fed by bubbleupnp on an android mobile phone. Transferred over Wifi to my laptop.

When I get my ADC hat, it will obviously be from my Phono amp through a QED RCA switch or similar. I can listen to the track on my RPI before I rip it, however at the moment I can't listen and rip at the same time on my Pi.

Uploaded to drop box:

Dropbox - Lola.wav - Simplify your life

Apologies if you haven't got Dropbox, but as below screen from my laptop of the same file open for editing- it just bloody works :wiggle: and could be done from another room in the house if needed.

[​IMG]

22. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

23. Classic Car Guy

This file sounds good. its pretty good job. Ive never tried dropox. Oh yeah its easier to modify the music on wav. I had my co-worker gave me a copy of the whole LP. I split, section and some of them fade in and out and adjusted the db. It was a very big file. But the work for me was adjusting all the sound levels equally and renaming the "complete properties" of each music

Rob6899 likes this.
  24. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Your file looks over compressed. What's the Dynamic Range of your sample?

arisinwind likes this.
  25. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

did you read my post?

It is compressed- its though a digital connection over wifi from an android phone.

Its just an example, to show that it can be done.