Analogue Productions Prestige 33 rpm series vs 45 versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Celticray, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last weekend, I really lucked into almost completing my AP Prestige mono/stereo collection by picking up 8 hard to find lp's at my great local record store Forever Young. I was shocked to find these and at cost!!
    Im now missing lps: Mobelys Message, Quiet Kenny, and two that I have on 45...Lightning Hopkins Lightnin' and Coltrane's "Standard Coltrane"

Of the ones I picked up were two Miles Davis (Cookin' and Relaxin'). I have searched but have not found anything on comparisons of these Miles Davis lp's vs the previous 33/45 rpm Prestige box sets of these titles. Can anyone comment on these vs. both the older 33 and 45 rpm versions?

Also if anyone can comment on my missing 33 rpm titles vs the 45 rpm titles on which sound better (or anything noticed...besides the convenience) I would really appreciate as these missing lps will be expensive if I find them.
    Thanks!!

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

3. Celticray

Thanks thats great info and Im in agreement in general as I have all the Music Matters, Verve & Impulse AP 45's and they are really treasures. I also have most of the MM 33's and I mostly prefer the 45's. But Im wondering on the mastering as that may be a difference. Im try to figure out if the newer Prestige Miles Davis are the same mastering and if the newer pressings are quieter(older 33 vs newer 33), etc.. This AP stereo/mono Prestige series is really great!

mpayan likes this.
  4. Celticray

Can anyone comment on my questions?

5. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

The older 33box was not mastered by KG and SH. I heard the AP 45 box are superb, while the new 33 are great too. I would seek for a 45box if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.