Analysis: ABBA The Day Before You Came

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yes indeed. At least for that one night every week. :righton:

AFOS likes this.
  2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

What 'comes' is some sort of bad news or notification, probably in the form of a letter. A medical test result perhaps. She is a smoker. She eats take away food. She 'needs a lot of sleep' suggesting lethargy. Suddenly faced with her own mortality, or at least the advice to change her lifestyle, the most mundane things of the previous day become heightened in her consciousness. And that in itself exists as a metaphor for the demise of Abba at the time.

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I must say: when I clicked on this thread about a song that I absolutely adore I had no idea that my mind was going to be opened up to quite such pessimistic interpretations. It’s true that the song has a chanson feel - very melancholy indeed - but I always felt that it was part of the genius of the songwriting that such a downbeat depiction of the day before the speaker falls in love anticipates the transformative joy of being in love. I still think that this is my preferred and most likely interpretation.

That said I really like the reading that says that the implied contrast is not between the day before he came and the day on which he came but between the day before he came and the day after he left. That's very bleak, but completely valid and it forces us to think what that contrast would be, and I would say that it is the contrast between being unconsciously unsatisfied and being consciously unhappy. For me, though, it's too miserable. Not as miserable as @CBS 65780’s idea that it isn't about a love relationship at all but still too miserable for me.

Hermes, pantofis and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Still the best version around.

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think that actually nobody came, and this is just a desire/illusion/hope.

crispi and Jarleboy like this.
  6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I abbasolutely love "The Day Before You Came" & picked up on the theatrical feel of the song right away. I first heard it when I bought the "ABBA: The First Ten Years" LP while visiting relatives in Virginia. I had to wait a few days till I returned home to play it though. When I did, I loved it! I first saw the video when I bought their "ABBA Again" VHS tape. Loved it! I played it over & over a half dozen times. In 2002 I bought the "ABBA: The Definitive Collection" DVD & I still play that video from time to time along with the others.

"Cassandra" is another theatrical sounding song & I had always hoped there'd be a movie based on it. It was the B side of "The Day Before You Came" & back then I was buying ABBA singles for the B sides because I played them too. Many years ago there was an unofficial website about ABBA & they had this video so I downloaded it to play. I loved it! Frida did a beautiful job on this song. I would love to see these types of videos officially released.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Read that Agnetha recorded the vocal for TDBYC in the dark. Talk about depressing

And The Visitors was one of the first digitally recorded albums and the very first to be pressed to CD

Big Pasi and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The entire reason for the phrase "I must have" that starts the explanations of what she used to do is because she doesn't know how to get back to it now that her lover, who changed all that, has gone.
    He came along and for the better changed her mundane life, but now that he has left her, she is attempting to go back to a life without him and the only way she knows how is to try and recall what she did prior to his arrival.
    While doing so she is realising not just how sad she is now but how sad she was then.
    Making his departure all the worse.
    It's hard enough to deal with the heartbreak but now she has to do so while living a miserable day to day routine which will now be endured while missing him.
    The two references to the rain are both literal and symbolic of her life then and now.
    It literally rained before she met him, now before she is over him it will figuratively rain.

pantofis, Jarleboy and AFOS like this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think SW's terrific (seeing him twice this year) but ... yo trippin’ Bro.

10. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another great cover by Blancmange

Gasman1003 and Neonbeam like this.
  11. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Not to forget Tanita Tikaram´s cover.

12. I always thought this song sounded like Agnetha Faltskog backed by Kraftwerk - an enticing prospect if ever there was one!

I don't think there is any intended meaning beyond the "obvious". The fact that it has such a moody musical background has probably more to do with the fact that it might have sounded incredibly cheesey to have had an uptempo, "happy-g0-lucky" approach. It works but it is a uniquely odd song in the ABBA canon. I have always loved it!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    mishima's dog, MLutthans and Jarleboy like this.
  13. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Unsurprising when it peaked at UK #32. Good enough piece, but always thought it was a poor choice for a single.

14. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

As much as I love "Cassandra" I think it would've made more sense to include "Just Like That" on the b-side of The Day Before You Came as the "Just Like That" lyrics kind of read as the aftermath of the events of TDBYC. Before and after. Those two songs go really well together IMHO.

15. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

I absolutely love TDBYC but it should have been backed with Under Attack. Instead Cassandra should have been the next A side. Cassandra is an instant classic though it's always been kind of hidden away in the ABBA cannon. Benny dislikes it apparently.

anduandi and CBS 65780 like this.
  16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I love both "The Day Before You Came" & Cassandra" a lot! I think "Cassandra could be a good movie too because it sounds so theatrical. I also wonder if Benny was looking to write a musical based on "Cassandra" at some time. That may be why he didn't want it released as an A side yet.

17. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

I think it's even more remarkable when you consider English wasn't their first language !

Mr_Vinyl and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And "The Visitors" too.:biglaugh:

I remember an old interview where Benny said he wrote "The Day Before You Came" from the perspective of a plain working woman, leading a plain and boring life.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

From the booklet of "The Visitors" deluxe edition:
    "The tune is narrative in itself", says Björn, "and relentless. That almost monotonous quality made me think of this girl who was living in a sort of gloominess and is now back in that sense of gloom. He has left her, and her life has returned to how it 'must have been' before she met him."

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I actually heard that version before the original, love them both, great song.

AFOS and Jarleboy like this.
  21. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Some pretty ingenious interpretations being offered. I tend to go with the theory that it's about the transformative power of falling in love. The tone of the song is intended to convey the mundaneness of her life before. So mundane in fact that she can't quite remember what life was like hence she says 'I must have.'
    I'd say she sings it in a matter of fact way rather than a sad way. The character may not be a romantic and may not even have wanted to fall in love. (I wonder if Agnetha is a romantic)

Rufus McDufus and Jarleboy like this.
  22. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

A good song in the Abba catalogue. But it was an unwise choice for single release.

23. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Thematically „The Day Before You Came“ is a 80s version of Paul and Linda McCartney‘s „Another Day“ from 1971.

GoodKitty likes this.
  24. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

One of my favourite ABBA songs. I love the wordless operatic singing during the chorus. It’s a very ‘fraught’ lead vocal by Agnetha as well - like she’s just holding it together.

I really like ‘Cassandra’ but musically Benny’s synths sound much more ‘Super Trouper’ on that track to me.

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

At the time I thought this song and Under Attack were poor singles choices, and wasn't surprised that they weren't big hits.
    Over the years I have grown to like them, but they are pretty far down on my list of favourite Abba songs..
    I mentioned on another thread recently about how Elvis Costello raved about this single when reviewing it on a radio show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.