!!! and Maserati drummer Jerry Fuchs R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

Very sad stuff . . .

"An indie-band drummer from Brooklyn fell to his death today after trying to leap from a freight elevator at a tony Williamsburg fund-raiser, police said.
    Jerry Fuchs, 34, who drummed for West Coast dance-punk band !!! (pronounced "chk chk chk") and the Georgia-based psychedelic instrumental ensemble Maserati, tumbled five stories shortly after 12:30 a.m. inside 338 Berry St., cops said.
    "It's a manual freight elevator, and it stopped somewhere above the fifth floor," said Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani.
    Sources said Fuchs and his pal opened the elevator door and attempted to jump the 3 to 4 feet separating the elevator from the fifth floor.
    The friend landed safely, but a piece of Fuchs' clothing caught on the elevator, causing him to be yanked backward as he jumped, sending him swinging back into the crevice separating the elevator from the fifth floor.
    He fell and landed at the bottom of the shaft. He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he died at 3:30 a.m.
    The drummer had been attending a formal-dress, invite-only benefit to raise money for women in India, sources said.
    Fuchs is the second Maserati drummer to meet a tragic end. In 2005, then-drummer Mikel Gius was run down and killed as he rode his bike on a Sacramento street."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...or_falls_ThnnTZfFHJf3IXKidpm09N#ixzz0WKHpqlSL

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

3. Wow, this is desperately effed up and a good lesson in not messing around with heights. Two great bands, too. RIP, and if you come back in another life Jerry I hope you learned something in this one.

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

RIP. :shake:

Attached Files:

5. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

my god, an elevator-related death

6. dufman

dufman Forum Resident

This sucks sucks sucks.

RIP.

7. Aneurin

Aneurin Member

8. THD

THD Forum Resident

I could listen to that one armed drum fill a thousand times in a row and still be floored each time and seeing video of it is even more astounding. I mean, GOD DAMN.

Found this great tribute message about him over at Steve Albini's message board in this thread.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Awful news... Darn elevators....

R.I.P. Jerry....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.