And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I got way into Doctor Who when PBS started showing Tom Baker episodes back in 1980. Then the new Doctors weren't as much fun and I burned out. Got way into the new series and nothing against the last one but I was burned out. Things are looking fresh as a daisy now and I'm back!

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If she can manage to simultaneously be funny, weird, and threatening, and not focus on sensitivity, political correctness, and normalcy, then maybe. But I doubt it. A big part of Dr. Who's charm is his irreverence and quirkiness. Unless they can pull off an absolutely batty female Dr. Who and not drown her in "strong role model" heroics like the stodgy Captain Janeway on Star Trek, I will be disappointed. Does this actress do comedy? Never heard of her. I knew the last guy was going to be a washout. Too old. The doctors have been trending young lately. That's why he flopped. My daughter was the biggest Dr. Who fan in the world, but he had no sex appeal to girls like Tennant and Matt Smith (which I never understood, but she adored him). My daughter's room is full of Dr. Who stuff. Strangely, she had no problem with him being a man, or a heroic role model.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    goodiesguy and Sordel like this.
  3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm a bit skeptical about the reasons behind having a female Doctor but the reveal video was good enough to make me want to give this a shot.

However, I don't think age is a determining factor for whether or not a Doctor will be successful. I thought that Jon Pertwee was a fantastic Doctor and he was in his 50's when he took over the roll. By contrast, I found Matt Smith to be spastic and annoying as the Doctor.

misterbozz and goodiesguy like this.
  4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

98 year old Nazi SS officers living anonymously in Argentina are really unhappy about this new Doctor? I guess they don't get to the Conventions, so I wasn't aware they were big Whovians.

Chris DeVoe, Scott222C, tkl7 and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So did I, but my kids loved him! It must be a thing like hitting the age where a movie like "The Golden Child" either had you rolling on the floor, or punching the remote button.

If I was going to cast a female Dr. Who.... who would you pick? Actually, although I've burned out on her, crazy Kirsten Wiig would have been fun. Although I still need a brit. I'd go for Jennifer Saunders or Bubble! I do sort of appreciate the "weird" Dr. Who outlook. He is an alien, after all. And he didn't make a single appearance in "Your favorite screen alien?" thread!

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:shrug:

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Welcome to the 21st century, Doctor Who. I think this is a brilliant move, especially going along with the complete revamping of the show's producers and writers. Can't wait for the new series.

andybeau likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

He didn't flop. The writing and ideas flopped. Capaldi was great as the doctor.

Agree on the Doctor should just be the Doctor regardless of gender.

zobalob, Tord and walrus like this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Capaldi was a great doctor, the mistake was not giving him his own companion from the start of his tenure. I thought this season, when he finally had a companion cast specifically to play opposite him, was great, and I'm sad that the scripts and stories from his first two seasons really weren't at all up to the standard set by earlier series. Capaldi himself was fantastic, and I thought he was a perfect choice.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And if you think about "equality" and non-bias, why does Dr. Who have to be a ravishingly beautiful young blonde? Isn't that pushing the old "Barbie perfection" stereotype? If I was going to cast a female British Dr. Who, this would have been my first choice. Love her!

[​IMG]

Tord likes this.
  11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Meh, still prefer the original series. New series has too much CGI for my liking.

tkl7 likes this.
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Great idea...more great ones:

Dwayne Johnson as Wonder Woman.
    Joe Pesci, Seth Green, Elijah Wood, Josh Hutcherson, Peter Dinklage as The Harlem Globetrotters.
    Anthony Hopkins as Mary Poppins (who needs Emily Blunt anyway?) in the next Disney film.
    Meryl Streep as Indiana Jones.
    Charlize Theron as Shaft.
    Morgan Freeman as Princess Leia in the next SW movie.
    Whoopi Goldberg as Clark Kent/Superman.
    Cameron Diaz as Mary Clarence in the Sister Act remake.

they all make sense, welcome to the futureeeeee

:D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

^^^No problem with a female Indiana Jones

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. danner

danner Forum Resident

Were any of the previous doctors world-famous comedians prior to being cast on the show?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I can't work out if this is a serious question or not...
    But, yes: Jon Pertwee.
    Maybe not "world famous" but he was certainly "UK famous".
    Specifically as a comedy actor in The Navy Lark & a couple of Carry On films...

Haristar and goodiesguy like this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

She was great in Adult Life Skills.

Not that I watch Dr Who anymore.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If we start a female James Bond thread, the house will come down.

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I enjoyed The Seventh Doctor's run, and I think his beginning was an attempt to move away from The Sixth Doctor's abrasive nature (one of the reasons that The Sixth Doctor my favorite of the Classic Doctors). For me, he began the trend of The Doctor ending up far different from the way he started (he started off as a clownish character, but was a cold manipulator by the end of his run).

19. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Can't wait for that Thelma and Louise remake starring Johnny Depp as Thelma and Chris Pratt as Louise.

Scott222C, goodiesguy and longdist01 like this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can't give up now! It's a female doctor. You must be a little curious. Besides I liked your posts in this thread.

Give it a few eps then give up if you must :)

21. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Hayley Atwell is....Bond, Jamie Bond.
    [​IMG]

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It is a gimmick because it is clearly pandering. The show's ratings have continued to decline over the past few seasons.

23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Alien creature that can regenerate regenerates for umpteenth time but does not have a doodle.

Somehow this is regarded as controversial.

--Geoff

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Intersting how she will have fathered Shia LaBeouf

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

She appears to be a woman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.