And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

There are?

:magoo:

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Back then, all they had were family friends who were "incurable bachelors" or those ladies who "just hadn't found the right man."

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It was a season-long arc, where Bill is finally saved by the puddle girl., one of her first dates Guess you missed that.

4. You guessed wrong, saw the episode, understood the eposode...but that is okay. You are allowed to be wrong and still be a good guy.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Who's on first?

8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I kinda agree with Davison on this. While I am supportive of the decision made, them co-opting yet another male hero figure to make a female hero-figure is not sitting well. I mean, for some old examples, there's Supergirl, Batgirl, et al... They're just copies of male heroes. Really, only Wonder Woman was a strong, ORIGINAL female hero character.

And this decision, to me, is just the same thing in a modern guise. Rather than make the Doctor a female now (the Supergirl to the other 12's Superman) why not create a new, original, strong, independent female time lord character and give her her own show? I mean, they have Romana just sitting on the shelf ready to use whenever they want to. Same with The Master, rather than change *his* gender, why not just make it The Rani?

This smacks of pandering rather than being progressive.

We'll see, though. But, I have images of next season being full of episodes where the damsel-in-distress Doctor has to be rescued by her strong, macho male companion. If it is, I'm turning it off.

To me, the most progressive, strong, independent female hero introduced in years was Agent Carter in the TV series of the same name. It's too bad the second season was so meh.

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Doctor being saved by his male companions is not as far off as it would seem. From what I understand, the original function of the male companions was to do the physical actions (like fighting) that The Doctor wasn't able to. However, beginning with The Third Doctor, The Doctor was able to defend himself rather than relying on someone to fight for him and the male companions faded away for a while (after Harry Sullivan departed it was a while before there was another male companion).

I agree about doing a separate show with a female time lord, spun off from Doctor Who (I've also thought that they could do a U. S. spinoff featuring another Time Lord who is inspired by The Doctor to go out and fight evil). That way, she could be her own person with her own quirks.

One concern that I have about the newest Doctor is: Will she be able to convince us that she is the same person as the previous Doctors? Despite their differences, deep down all of the Doctors have shown us that they are the same person just with a little scrambling of his personality due to his regeneration.

Although many of the early female heroes tended to be a female version of an existing male hero (including Mary Marvel, and Batwoman), there have been a number of original female heroes in addition to Wonder Woman. In the comic Legion Of Super-Heroes (which began in the 1950s) they featured a number of female heroes not based on a male hero such as:
    - Saturn Girl
    - Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel (able to split into three separate bodies, one of her bodies was killed)
    - Shrinking Violet
    - Dream Girl
    - Light Lass/Lightning Lass (her original lighting powers were restored)
    - Shadow Lass
    - Night Girl
    - The White Witch
    - Princess Projectra

10. New Dr Who on left Old on Right. From Broadchurch

This was a great choice.

[​IMG] .

EwaWoowa likes this.
  11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

You left out the best of them all... But, she started a villain and is now more of an anti-hero. CATWOMAN!

And you're right about the original reasons for a male companion, but, that's not exactly what I am talking about. Then, it was the male companions doing the "heavy lifting" to help out, sure, but now I mean full-on "Perils Of Pauline" level rescues.

Again, we'll see. But, from what I've already seen from the teams responsible for new Who, I'm not holding my breath.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seriously? You think the previous doctors 'convinced' us that they were the same person? Not in a million years would I have ever thought that, let alone considered it a 'concern'.

andybeau likes this.
  13. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Ironically, I think the lady in the middle (Olivia Coleman) would be the best choice for a female Dr Who.

And if they had cast her then I would just be pleased they had pulled of the "coup" of getting by far the best actor / actress in the country for the role...

Mazzy and andybeau like this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

An interesting thing about the Master - The BBC now seems to claim the precedent for a Time Lord to change from Male to Female and vice versa was established by the Master changing. But the Master cannot regenerate normally at this point, His last regeneration was failing and he was dying in The Deadly Assassin, and he was only able to survive by stealing bodies or possessing other life forms. Supposedly he was resurrected by the Time Lords, but there is a lot about his current (apparent) ability to regenerate that remains a mystery.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Interesting, not something I would've come up with. I do like her as an actress. I think she would've made a very fine doctor.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In terms of companions, how long is Pearl Mackie meant to be around for?

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I've read comment boards on other news sites in which there is some serious vitriol being hurled at anyone who doesn't agree with the appointment of a woman to play the next Doctor. I think the Daily Mail was one. It's not healthy, I tell you.

18. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

In The Five Doctors ( the 1983 20th Anniversary story), The Master was recalled by the Timelords to Gallifrey and asked to help rescue the various Doctors from an area on the planet called the Deathzone. As a reward The Master was offered a complete new life cycle of regenerations so it's possible he got these and is currently surviving that way.

19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

True. Also, remember the episode where the Gallifreyan soldier kept getting killed over and over and kept regenerating, and one of the regenerations was into a woman? Am I remembering that right? He was a guard, and not a Time Lord, correct?

Anyway, my point is... Guards are NOT Time Lords and cannot regenerate. Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, and only Time Lords regenerate. And that was established during the Tom Baker era.

She's already gone.

He never received that "reward" because he did not fulfill the mission. In the TV movie, it showed he was still stealing bodies. So, what happened to him between then and the new series is a mystery.

Also, speaking of the Master, how they've treated the Master as a female has justified, I believe, my fears that they're going to play the female Doctor as a caricatured stereotypical over-the-top way...

20. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I voiced my concern on another site. I never said that I wasn't in favor, just that it worried me how they would do it, and that I'd rather they had created a separate character, the same things I've said here. And I got told, "Am sorry being gender progressive hurts your fee fees. I hope you examine why you feel this way, really why you do, and educate yourself and grow."

I'm still not sure how keeping a traditionally male character a male and instead inventing a new, strong, independent awesome female character isn't cool... So, progress is Co-opting and creating an female imitation of a male character (i.e. Supergirl, Batgirl, Spider-Girl) rather than inventing a new, original one (i.e. Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Black Widow)?

I'm thinking Millennials are the ones screaming bloody murder at anyone complaining. They seem not to understand "progressive".

goodiesguy, tkl7, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Doh! I thought she'd somehow come back in one way or another. I liked her though. I wouldn't have minded her sticking around a bit longer.

I hope you're wrong because that would suck!

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I am not surprised that they reacted that way. Seems par for the course these days. Over reaction isn't confined to one group is it?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong with your opinion, but I see what you are saying and yeah you have a good point. They should be creating new stronger roles instead of just co-opting established male roles. On the other hand, for some, this is bigger than a separate female doctor because it was almost unthinkable, even a few years ago, that the Doctor could ever be female. It's way bigger news than just a new female doctor as a result.

Does that relegate your outlook to you being "hurts in your feels"? No it doesn't. No one cares about having a discussion these days though, they just want to bludgeon you over the head with their outlook, dismiss any counter argument and to punish.

A female friend of mine, on Facebook, said she was disappointed with the new doctor only because she preferred it to be some other actor she likes, who's name I forget, that happened to be male. She didn't get any flack on Facebook for it, but I did wonder what would've happened if she had expressed that opinion on twitter or a forum.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Wait for the Christmas special. My friend is working on it and says it's going to feature five surprises,one of which is,(in his words),"absolutely mental".

24. bubba-ho-tep

I wonder if Peter Davison would have gotten the same treatment on that forum for his opinion on the whole thing.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  25. bubba-ho-tep

I don't know whether to be excited or worried.

EwaWoowa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.