And the next SuperDeluxeEdition Blu-ray is...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here Thread Starter

But has Paul ever specifically advertised SDE's as audiophile level content? Not sure that DR numbers have ever crossed his windscreen.

I think of Audio Fidelity when "audiophile" comes to mind, whereas Paul is more about delivering a product that may not always be as sonically rich as possible -- like the Soft Cell -- but nevertheless has robust value as a physical artifact (esp. with extra video material, like the Soft Cell and Suede releases). And one can always elect not to purchase any SDE if audiophile concerns are the primary focus, as that doesn't appear to be Paul's.

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I think Paul's open letter/review of 2023 made it clear that he does care about sound quality, but like @Erick Haight says the end product of the SDE series is dependant on a number of factors and is never specifically advertised as being audiophile as such.

EG.

3. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

True. But it's a shame there's no dedicated 5.1 mix included, only Atmos (yes, I should probably have considered that before buying; but my player hasn't struggled with any surround discs before, so I assumed it would fold down without any problems).

4. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Check your player settings, in your speaker settings there should be a Down Mix Mode where you can choose how the player process multichannel mixes.

ARK and Comicsanstombstone like this.
  5. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

I meant they will not combine a new order with an open existing order. But yeah - if you buy multiple items in the same order then shipping is cheaper than individually ordering them.

6. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Forum Resident

Despite still not having Peter Gabriel (because of Def Leppard) I'm apparently a sucker as I just ordered both Wham albums. $16 shipping to the US here for both.

I don't think I've even heard Fantastic so call me a double sucker. But I liked Make It Big quite a lot and George's solo stuff (not sure how well I like their Atmos mixes, however. I don't recall being impressed on Amazon Unlimited. I'll have to listen again.

jeffreybh likes this.
  7. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I know, I know! I was just replying to @JulesRules remark on the point.
    And, although audiophile concerns not being the primary focus of SDE and its audio BDs strikes me as odd, I can live with that. I'll just get those releases that I am satisfied with (Steven Wilson's collaboration is always a guarantee in that regard :D

But all of the above does not mean I don't have the utmost respect for someone who's managed to create something entirely unique out of a hobby, something precious to music addicts worldwide, someone who can now deal on an equal footing with top artists and labels. That's a huge one.

8. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

I see your logic. If five users were claiming that the mix you haven't heard is either "a fake mix or at least a really bad one", then it would be convincing :biglaugh:

9. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Have you seen the rest of Bunn's comments? Over the top. And he deleted his initial post, hence the weird "start" of that conversation.

The tracks are already streaming, so people can make their minds up. I don't think Paul wants to have his name connected to fake upmixes, and when they've been in play, he's been open about it (Steven Wilson using Penteo for songs whose masters are lost - of course, it's SW, who's always been willing to talk about his mixing process). He also doesn't seem to be into surround just for the sake of it, otherwise the PWL Extended Mixes Blu-ray wouldn't have been stereo-only.

I have plenty of things to criticise about Paul, but this discussion strikes me as a bit undeserved. If the artists or engineers are doing a bad job, the only thing he can do is reject the proposal - and I'm not sure if the workflow lends itself to that kind of purism.
    No, you don't. You're mixing up two different things. A bad mix is one thing, a fake is another. One comes down to taste, the other gets into the realm of false advertising. And that's a heavy charge that could cause reputational damage. I certainly wouldn't claim it unless several people had come to the same conclusion and could offer clear evidence.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    Eric_Generic and GiorgioV like this.
  10. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Yeah, I was wondering about that bit! Now I get it :D
    All I'm saying, and I believe there's no disputing that, is that the technical aspects of his product are beyond his area of expertise. We know that, and he does know and admits that. No one is faulting him, and I am not criticizing an otherwise excellent job.
    I just think that if he did have a say in how his BDs actually sound, besides all his existing merits he would also be up there with the top world audiophile labels. That's all.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Look, I don't care about your personal opinion on a mix you've never heard. All I'm saying is that forming an opinion purely based on the number of people who are sharing it belongs to the most stupid things I've ever come across. Not just in case of unimportant stuff like the quality of surround mixes. EOD.

JDeanB likes this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It isn't fake and it isn't bad.

13. No Steven Wilson surround mixes?!

Erick Haight likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

There is a list here of every SDE surround release, and who mixed it.

GiorgioV likes this.
  15. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

So, the next Wham! BDs are engineered by Chris Porter. How is he? Can we expect a good product?

16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

The hobbyist thing is important. A couple of mates run vinyl-only reissue labels. To do it properly is a lot of work, they have a long list of projects they’d like to do; it takes months/years to get them signed off by labels, especially majors, and most proposals will probably get turned down. Then they have to sort artwork, tapes, mastering and pressing. They are not going to spend time doing this on music they don’t really care for. Paul at SDE has a penchant for 80s pop, so he’s going to want to spend his time on that. I reckon his dream release would be Hounds of Love in surround.

The guys who are unhappy with his selections, start your own label - it’s not that difficult, just takes work.

JeffMo, Jim B. and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I've found this post on the quadraphonicquad.com website, not much encouraging for what it's worth. Has anybody here listened to the new mix?
    [​IMG]

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I think his dream releases would be anything by Kate Bush. Or Paul McCartney. Bowie. Abba.

19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I think Paul has found his groove with these 80s titles - it's clearly where his interest really lies musically. Agreed, I would like to see more 70s material (so long as it's 70s music that I like, obviously :D) - but there are some real gems to be had from the early 80s, so if he continues to mine this period I'll await his new releases with interest.

supermd and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Blaahh

Blaahh Forum Resident

I wish he’d get Introducing The Hardline According to Terence Trent D’Arby, though I still wonder if Sony are holding back for a more expansive back catalogue release.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

He’s definitely getting there.:)

Both these Wham! albums were big worldwide sellers, so you’d think demand would be strong for them. They’re all over social media too, so people will certainly be aware of them.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

404 Artist Not Found.

;)

EG.

23. Paul from up north

Paul from up north Well-Known Member

That is a superbly balanced mix. Great from top to bottom.

Blaahh likes this.
  24. Paul from up north

Paul from up north Well-Known Member

But if people hear the mixes on streaming sites and think they are poor, word of mouth......

25. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I only buy these releases for the stereo mixes as I don't have a surround setup. I do wonder how dynamic the mastering will be.