And The Oscar For Best Picture Of The Year Goes To...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 29, 2022.

1. It was an awful movie.

a customer likes this.
  2. I was always underwhelmed by The Sting; I loved seeing Redford and Newman teamed again and it has a great cast but not a great movie. Mind you, it’s still a fun movie

Leadfeather and Vidiot like this.
  3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

...for the Lifetime channel. For the Oscars it has the most predictable and forced beats of any winner. Terrible terrible choice. Many not great best pictures got a nod for telling a true story (Argo, Spotlight) or containing a message (Crash) or representing a not often mentioned slice of life (Driving Miss Daisy, Coda.)

4. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

But it was fun. I like fun movies getting a nod occasionally, like The Fugitive. Otherwise looking at the list of best picture winners looks like "do I have to."

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

The competition was fairly soft that year (1974).
    It was up against ' The Exorcist' ( and that was not going to win) , ' American Graffitti' ( probably considered too lightweight / lowbrow for the Academy), and a couple of dull ass flicks to pad out the contender list.

finslaw likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

For me, 1972 is the only year when the five Best Picture nominees were the five best films. In alphabetical order:

Cabaret
    Deliverance
    The Emigrants
    The Godfather
    Sounder

Other years come close but don't quite match it--and several of those are in the same decade.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I'd replace Deliverance with The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but otherwise yes, 1972 was an outstanding year for the Oscars.

8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

awful is pretty harsh
    it still is very watchable

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wouldn't a re-make of either the sting, or butch cassidy or both with clooney and pitt, be wonderful?

wayneklein likes this.
  10. It’d be cool. The Sting I think could use it more than Butch which is just about a perfect movie and one of Goldman’s best scripts. I miss him as a writer.

11. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Well I finally saw Everything everywhere all at once today from the library and I gotta say this is the oddest best picture winner I've ever seen. It was weird, funky, very little of it made a lick of sense, there were far too many darn subtitles, and in general it was just so out there I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Through it all though it was strangely compelling and weirdly interesting enough for me to not want to turn it off, and the ending was definitely heartwarming in its own way, but man what a strange trip to get there. The academy must have been in one weird mood to give it any awards, much less best picture.

12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Some good-to-great movies on there, but the only ones I'd probably ever screen again are Casablanca and Unforgiven.
    The rest are pretty much 'one and done' for me (lol).

13. Wildest cat from montana

What?
    There are some excellent movies there.

14. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Forrest Gump, Titanic, Crash and Million Dollar Baby are all excellent in my opinion.

15. Lightworker

NONE of the films on that 'Best Picture winners' list is in my top 20 all-time favorites list (lol).
    Casablanca would definitely place somewhere in the top 40 though.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've seen fifty one of the films but but looking through the list, it's been curious how much my interest has waned over the years because there are several recent winners I've never even heard of let alone seen. In any event, here are the films I think bear repeated viewings:

Casablanca
    Around The World In Eighty Days
    Ben-Hur
    Lawrence Of Arabia
    A Man For All Seasons
    The Sting
    Chariots Of Fire
    Gandhi
    Dances With Wolves
    The English Patient
    Argo
    Spotlight

My ten least favourites would be:

Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King
    American Beauty
    Titanic
    Out Of Africa
    Terms Of Endearment
    Kramer Vs Kramer
    Annie Hall
    An American In Paris
    Hamlet
    How Green Was My Valley

Michael likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

There's only a very few of these I'd ever watch again.
    'Gandhi' dulled me right out.
    And I don't remember what was up against 'The English Patient' for Best Picture but they must have been a tedious buncha films for that snoozefest to bag top prize.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love 'em both, personally.

The other films in The English Patient's year were Jerry Maguire, Fargo, Secrets & Lies and Shine. For me, The English Patient is certainly more enjoyable than Secrets & Lies and Fargo. Haven't seen the other two.

19. Wildest cat from montana

'Fargo' is by far the best movie in that bunch. Too weird to win though I suppose.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I thought Fargo was a total grind, If I hadn't gone to the flicks with friends, I would have given up and gone to the pub way before the end,

21. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Fargo should have won easily.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

100% agree on The English Tried My Patience. I fell asleep in the theater three or four times and was gobsmacked every time I woke up and the damned thing was still going. Oh and Elaine Benes is my hero.

23. Lightworker

Went to see The English Patient first-run with my wife and another 'artsy New York' couple at an upscale urban art house cinema.
    I nodded out, and when I awoke at about the 60-minute mark, the other three in our party were snoring blissfully in sleepy repose.

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Elaine at The English Patient:

Manapua, GillyT, Spitfire and 2 others like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I felt her pain and cried tears of laughter!