Andre 3000 as Jimi ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

This just might be cool !!!!!!!! Let's hope the estate gives the OK.

Andre 3000 Lights His Fire
    Outkast's Andre 3000 is close to closing a deal to play Jimi Hendrix in the upcoming Hughes Brothers biopic. The film will chronicle the guitar hero's journey until his death in 1970 at he age of 27. The production company is still in negotiations with the Hendrix estate to get the rights to make the movie, so there is no start date set. But according to Dre filming could begin as soon as this summer. "I am actually excited about acting right now," the Outkast star told reporters. "It is pretty much where my focus is."

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes!

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yeah, it's very intriguing casting. I just hope they get it made soon, because Andre is already a year older than Jimi was when he died.

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Val Kilmer was 31 when he landed the part of Jim Morrison & he was great. The movie was pretty awful though IMO. Sorry for the TC. ;)

Andre as Jimi might be interesting. He looks a little like him. I remember years back that Laurence Fishburne was rumoured to play Jimi. That might have been cool....well 10 years ago. :p

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Is he going to learn Jimi's licks? Or just sample them;)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There was a Hendrix bio/pic that came out a couple of years ago you see it going cheap on dvd(sorry forget the title).

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Michael - if this is some sort of sideswipe at Outkast, sampling or rap, we don't need to hear about it here. That remark was a classic "thread crap." Please stay out of this thread for the duration.

Thank you,

Rudy and the SH Forum Moderation Team

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was wondering how long it would be before someone got around to making a movie about Jimi Hendrix. We've had Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, The Jackson Five, The Temptations, The Supremes (Dreamgirls), Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Sid Vicious, Ike & Tina Turner...has there been a movie about Elvis Presley yet?

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, there was one from '79, starring Kurt Russell.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think it would be very cool.

He's got that off-kilter personality to him that fits in with Jimi's whimsical nature.

Go for it Andre!!

11. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Dre came to one of our shows a few months ago. I thought it was kind of cool that he would come see a local rock band. Maybe he was dipping into the scene and checking things out in preparation for this role! Anyway, he's really smart and as nice as he can be. :edthumbs:

12. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Everybody. Now hear this...HE PLAYS GUITAR. And he writes his own music. He can sing. So enough already! :)

The main question on everybody's mind of course is (without a doubt)....

Is he left handed?

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

HENDRIX- TV Bio Pic/ Staring Billy Zane came out DVD 2003. :)

14. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

Andre 3000 would be a GREAT choice to play Hendrix. But I'm not holding my breath. There have been past problems with licensing Jimi's music for such a pix. That recent biopic on Hendrix mentioned a couple of posts back, I believe, only used non-Hendrix compositions ("Hey Joe," "Wild Thing," etc.) in the movie.

I also seem to remember that about 15 years ago Prince was touted to play Jimi in a movie, which never got made. Now that would have been something.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

I remember that. He'd be too short and....ummm....."light".

I hope they just don't play Jimi's songs and Dre lip synchs. I'd like to see some fresh takes on those songs....either by Andre or a good Jimi imitator....keeping with the original spirit of course.

16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Did you know that in the early eighties John Travolta was strongly rumored to be up for the role of Morrison?

No joke.

:goodie:

17. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Wonder what the Obligatory Gratuitous Dancing Scene® would've been. :D

18. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Don't know, but I have a feeling "Light My Fire" would be set to a disco beat. :sigh:

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, Dan Hartman had a disco hit with "Relight My Fire," so it wouldn't be much of a stretch! :winkgrin:

20. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

The Outkast interview in the new issue of Rolling Stone (yes, I admit that I still read it) really impressed me. Yes, as sydbarrett noted, Andre can play guitar and other real instruments -- he played everything but bass on "Hey Ya." And I particularly liked the part of the interview where he describes how exciting it was for him to discover the music of the Buzzcocks, Ramones, etc. some years ago...

21. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Jimbo, only you would know something like that! :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.