Andrew Jones unboxes his new MoFi speaker with Steve Guttenberg

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hesson11, Nov 10, 2022.

1. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Imagine running back/forth between the couch/gear a 100 times w/ 15 different cables, swapping interconnects/speaker cables/etc (as a rudimentary "tone control" effort) and not getting there.
    Imagine that instead of turning a knob just a wee li'l bit counterclockwise and being able to enjoy the music immediately thereafter.

2. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

In an ideal world we could have every product that hits the market home for a trial. But that is not practical for most. The review industry exists in part to help us whittle down the contenders.

That you prefer to eschew all reviews in favor of home trials is a reasonable path for you. That others include reviews in their hunt is equally reasonable. In either case, no one is a foolish. We might be foolish in other regards, but not about that ;)

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

Another Video with music this time.

M~

jonwoody, RWBadley, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

C'mon, there is a little ADC+DAC inside with some DSP! Tell us the truth this time!

missan likes this.
  5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I was kind of disappointed actually to see they were made in China. When MoFi released their turntables it seemed like a big deal and selling point makes a big deal that their turntables and electronics are made in the USA.

But I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised with Jones’ involvement as he generally tends to build a lot of his designs there.
    Whoa, anybody notice the first guy asking a question was Matthew McConaughey?

jk :laugh:

rischa and MC Rag like this.
  6. james

james Summon The Queen

I thought these looked sharp in person and sounded great. Very strong bass and relatively neutral sounding, I thought. I was worried about Guttenberg’s hint at brightness; I am bright sensitive and I didn’t find them bright. There was a trumpet section that had the real bite of a trumpet, but realistically so, IMO.

they are going to be 4000 with the stands that were on display

Manimal, jonwoody, Ulises and 4 others like this.
  7. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

They don't look good on those stands and sound poor to me, the electronics likely at fault.

8. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

In the latest episode of The Occasional Podcast, Jones goes into a lot of detail about the top shelf quality of drivers he's been able acquire from whatever manufacturer in China he's using. He even talks about how he showed the data to SEAS and they said they can't achieve that consistency.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Imagine just being Blue Jeans and simply not worrying about it :D

What I'm wondering is if the cone profile has anything do to with a horn/waveguide shape. Oblate spheroidal cone, anyone?

10. james

james Summon The Queen

if I understand your question, I believe he mentions that the cone profile is important for that reason, as well as the surround. I thought that was interesting as I hadn’t considered that.

head_unit and MC Rag like this.
  11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The treble sounds too sharp but I don't know what they used for the recording of this video.

12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Just found out from the UK distributor of these that price is likely to be £4500 without, or £5000 with stands. I was hoping for a little less.

luckyno13 likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

They appear to be a very smart design: 2” baffle panel, paper cone, relatively high sensitivity and cabinet angles where they count. All designed by a guy who specializes in co-axials.

This is almost entirely a myth. The port tuning frequency dictates placement restrictions far more than port location on the cabinet. Most rear-ported speakers do not require more than a few inches from the wall in order to avoid too much back pressure. Front-ported speakers often sound just as boomy as their rear-ported counterparts when crammed against a wall (<1’).

Rear ports also have the advantage of lower audibility of port chuffing.

14. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

We're also talking about pretty long wavelengths and omnidirectional radiation for a typical port tuning. From that perspective, a front port is just marginally further from the wall than a rear port.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  15. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Those look like a proper loudspeaker, 10 inch makes for a nice size.

Manimal likes this.
  16. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I liked watching this video. Andrew seems like a classy guy.

His choice of music mirrors what I might play to show off the Altec 604. I'd be curious to hear a little symphonic and classic rock, as those genres are what can trip up many speakers (including my own) that otherwise sound good with less busy music

macster and MC Rag like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I have no idea how I'm supposed to tell what a pair of speakers sound like by listening to a recording of them through another pair of speakers/headphones...:sigh:

John McGraw, Skibum2, 33na3rd and 6 others like this.
  18. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not. Towards the end of the video above, he went into what solution he had in the driver to address intermod. distortion. Not sure if he was just locked into a profile/propogated from there ( SH should include a sketcher feature here :D). You could message him on Facebook. He responds there sometimes.

head_unit likes this.
  19. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

If you look at @macster 's video link above and scroll over to 26:30, there's some guy with a 300kish setup exclaiming how good it sounded. This is a typical response with AJ designs above the barrel bottom price point (say 3k and above). It also happened with the Elac Adante at the shows. The Adante, however, is a bear to work with and very finnicky with electronics/placement. I think this mofi went the TAD route, i.e. non-finnicky with placement/front-end electronics and making even poor recordings sound good with no compromise on "high end" resolution/detail/etc.

jusbe, MC Rag and Khorn like this.
  20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'm not sure how you've inferred what you say in the last sentence, from the available reviews, but I hope you are right!

21. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I have a pair of TAD floorstanders in my stereo room (relatively well known to be non-finnicky with room/electronics like other high end stuff). I am seeing that he is making that mofi sound very good with an awful demo room and not so great electronics (reminiscent of the TAD phenomenon/design philosophy). Hence, the inference...couldn't be absolutely sure.

Manimal and MC Rag like this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That's "not so great electronics?" Looks alright to me.

23. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

MC Rag, Manimal and mreeter like this.
  24. james

james Summon The Queen

AJ said 4000 with stands but we’ll see

edit: they looked more like 300 dollar stands than 800 dollar stands. Functional but nothing fancy

JackG and mreeter like this.
  25. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Are those the dedicated stands? Yeah, I'm not seeing $800 there. Then again, Revel wants $550 MSRP for the M(DF) Stand so who knows.