Andrew Jones unboxes his new MoFi speaker with Steve Guttenberg

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hesson11, Nov 10, 2022.

1. james

james Summon The Queen

i asked him if these were the stands and he said yes. (And that he uses kitty litter to fill them)

JackG likes this.
  2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Those stands sure look like an afterthought.

3. Matthew Abate

Matthew Abate Forum Resident

Two thoughts:

1. I want to see these stands they are supposedly going to be shipping with. The three stands I have seen these on all look terrible, with the tripod looking the best but not correct. I want something that looks like it is meant for the speaker, the way the stands for the KLH Model 5s or the old Braun kangaroo stands do.

2. There are too many options now. I had resolved to get the Model 5s before I started seeing owners knocking them in reviews. With those, the Heresy IVs, and the L100s already on my list, now I have to add the SP10s, Passif 50s, and 770s. I’m just lost now, and there’s no way I’m hearing two or more of these side by side in a store where I live, let alone in my house.

4. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Doesn’t China have the most state-of-the-art speaker factories today?

iluzun likes this.
  5. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised. All my Wharfedale speakers are Made In China!

6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

MC Rag likes this.
  7. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I like 'em. They give the speakers a bit of a Mike Wazowski vibe. ;)

rischa likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Equal to the Western countries? Likely. Better than the operation at Spendor or Dynaudio or the like? Doubtful.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Always interesting the music choices at Hi-Fi shows. It’s usually something I would ever seek to listen to myself.

You can always depend on a track with close miked instruments and a breathy vocal.

unclefred and MC Rag like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

some reports are that the sound has lower treble sibilance, definitely an achilees heel for me and not surprising for a 1700 hz crossover for a 10 inch woofer. second hand info for sure but if true AJ may be able to filter it out in future crossover tuning. he likes to voice them flat as a ruler but that may not be the best option for these.

11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

FR is spec'd as 42Hz-30kHz but with no tolerance listed. According to AJ here (about 12:30) 42Hz is the -6dB point.

Really can't wait to hear these.

BeauZooka and MC Rag like this.
  12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

This guy likes them very much in his CAF roundup - listen from 15:09

BeauZooka likes this.
  13. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

Anyone else notice the 1 year warranty?

unclefred likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

How long of a warranty do you need on a passive speaker?
    As long as they stock replacement drivers for a decade or so and sell them at a reasonable price for repairs if you blow a driver then that's all that's needed after one year.

15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That's short when you compare to many other makes. I've only had to exercise a speaker warranty once, a tweeter blew due to dc from an amp, just short of the end of the 5 year warranty.

16. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Read the comments in Mikey’s video seems he wasn’t aware the speakers were made in China and he has stated in the recent past he won’t do business with Chinese products. Also seems Jay doesn’t like these speakers:

17. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I've never seen this guy before. Is he a respected reviewer?

He says everyone will be buying these because MOFI is such a big name brand, are they really a household name? maybe in the US? I don't imagine any of my friends here in the UK have ever heard of MOFI.

I myself will wait to hear what these MOFI speakers bring. I don't care that they're made by MOFI or that they're made in China. I like the looks and if they have the right sound I may well get them.

I'm hoping for some reviews against Mission 770, KLH Model5, JBL L82/100, Tannoy Arden, Wharfdale Linton

jusbe, Toneh, mreeter and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

He's a dude with a $130,000 Boulder pre-amp telling us that the MoFi speakers are overpriced and not worth the MSRP.

19. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

From memory the mofi scandal dates from AFTER the two years ago Andrew teamed up to create this speaker. (Correct me if I’m wrong) To say it’s a ploy to distract from the analog/vinyl issue doesn’t ring valid from what I can tell.

As for the marketing points made in #1 and # 1.5. Yes. This is how marketing works. Hit the ground running with the hot news and sell as many as possible quickly. Indeed, especially so if you have the backing, and the connections to make it happen. Got to recover that huge initial investment.

Yes, there are bound to be secondary market sales. They will be noticeable because of the high number of initial sales. With the proper marketing they will and should sell a bazillion of them. Whether or not they become discounted down to the 2k$ price point is hard to guess.

As for the sound and build quality: I have not heard them. The build quality looks quite high for the price point. The 10” coaxial driver strikes all the right notes to me on paper. If it’s as well implemented as it would appear I think it could be very appealing for many rooms, systems and tastes.

Jay has a lot of experience, not to detract from that. His opinion is valid but also formed somewhat on the rarified multiple tens of thousands of dollar systems he has put together.

I suspect a more average Joe type would be thrilled if these SP10’s are as musical, versatile and value oriented as they have the possibility to be. The WAF appears high, which is huge. And they should in theory have excellent coherence and jump factor. Good things in that price point and not always shown with the more common 6” drivers.

I agree with taking a wait and see approach, but I can’t suspect the Motive of Mofi nor the fact that AJ is truly excited about his creation and his believe it is a solid value with quite high quality at that price point.

Just my .02$

Happy to all this day and Cheers!
    RW

aorecords, MC Rag and mreeter like this.
  20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Seems like Jay has a bone to pick that has nothing to do with the speaker. It doesn’t take a soothsayer to make some of the predictions he made and other predictions were just plain stupid. Very unimpressed with Jay. Subscribe….no, two thumps down, yep.

wgb113, jusbe, Toneh and 3 others like this.
  21. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Not sure what you're talking about. Apparently, OCD Mike likes the Mofi+hifi rose package enough that he is going to start carrying these as a dealer.

22. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Although, aways down in the comments, he says he won't be selling them once he realized they are made in China. We'll see if dollars win out over his obvious racism.

COBill likes this.
  23. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

This vid is from a day ago. But, yeah, I've seen his bigoted rants in other videos...Cuban dude trying to "fit in" with the rest of the bigots down south so they can say "he's one of us". Whenever i see dudes get off the boat, drop their basic decency and try to "fit in" with the rest of this big ol' trailer park, i find it quite comical :D.

StriderTB and MC Rag like this.
  24. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

OCD Mikey has detailed why he won't carry Denafrips and another Chinese brand. Nothing to do with racism. Watch for yourself.

He's out there as far as tweaking goes but from what I have seen on his channel, he has integrity.

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the Sourcepoint 6. (Or maybe 8).

james likes this.