Andrew Jones unboxes his new MoFi speaker with Steve Guttenberg

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hesson11, Nov 10, 2022.

1. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'm hoping for 15

MC Rag, The Dragon and JackG like this.
  2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Who the hell is this guy. I’d like to know what he does carry so I don’t buy it. I understand what he’s saying but when you read between the lines he’s just whining because he ain’t getting what he wants out of the deal or he’d still be carrying all of it. Integrity would require that he be straight up.

MC Rag likes this.
  3. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Even the lowly Linton have a 5 year warranty. Isn’t this MoFi’s first speaker? That might have something to do with the short warranty…

4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I disagree with the guy but I get where he is coming from - the mark-up is very high. The LM CD 215 CD player is priced at $2,200 HKD in Hong Kong and probably $1,500 HKD in Mainland China - the mark-up in the US is dramatic.

His argument about Chinese people getting screwed is somewhat true but it's important to factor in their cost of living - their salary is very low but so is their rent and food and transportation etc. So it's not as bad as Western Media makes it out to be - after all Western Media wants people to buy into buying homegrown goods so if you can make China look like the bad guy on every issue at every turn then that helps US Business - things are rarely as black and white as he seems to make it out to be. As for some manufacturer actions towards dealers - yes there are many who make deals and do end runs around their dealers like selling dealers $100 cables the dealer will then mark up to $300. Then the dealer buys all these cables ready to make some money. Then the manufacturer sells the same cable on their website worldwide for $80 - so the dealer would not be too thrilled with that!

I think a lot of people like to know to who they're giving their money. When I was a unionized teacher in Canada, the bank I was going to was donating money to the right-wing union-busting government of the time - so I pulled all my money and switched to a bank that was not.

So I try to avoid or seriously limit giving money to companies or restaurants etc where I disagree with their political bent. I can see where many companies support things I don't. I don't think this fellow is racist - he is opposed to the Chinese government. I think he probably needs to think it through more as folks probably can't live on $7.25 an hour min wage in the US either (I consider that a starvation wage) but anywho.

This site helps anyone on any political view decide where to spend their money
    Categories - Goods Unite Us

5. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

I’ve watched quite a few OCD Mikey videos over the years. He’s reasonably knowledgeable, and genuinely enthusiastic about HiFi.

And like an uncle I know, a total hack when it comes to geopolitics. It’s helpful to keep that “uncle of mine” perspective and not take his wayward political ramblings too seriously.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

In an interview he said more was coming, he was asked 'bigger or smaller' and he said 'both'.

mreeter and aorecords like this.
  7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Andrew's shoes look very comfortable.

luckyno13 likes this.
  8. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Upscale audio seem rather taken with them:

9. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Kevin is taken with everything he sells.

10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Ok noted. I do like that his assistant was playing Infected Mushroom on them and they sounded impressive with that.

11. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Latest OCD Hi-Fi Guy. I'll be interested to see what price he comes up with for manufacturing a speaker similar to the MoFi's.

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Why do you keep posting this garbage? Nothing he says has credibility or honesty. He's not interested in selling the best audio gear, just the gear that meets his personal social and economic and political biases. I would not trust him as a dealer to put together the best sounding system for a reasonable price. He's going to put together a system that meets his political biases.

Why doesn't he rant about how Schiit kills dealers and how their distribution and service and support sucks outside of the US?

He doesn't understand how China makes things and how the Chinese people actually live. His whole understanding of Chinese manufacturing seems to come from watching videos about Foxconn and how they have on campus dormitories for all the workers and how Foxconn treats the employees. He doesn't understand that the audio companies like Denafrips and Holo Audio and Audio GD and Opera and Cayin and other quality Chines audio brands are made in small factories and small businesses very different than Foxconn. He doesn't seem to understand that the Chinese workers and the engineers at those audio companies can be living the equivalent of middle class lives. Plus they get health care and don't have to set up GoFundMe campaigns if they get in a serious traffic accident with an uninsured driver.

He's also ignorant and wrong about how Denafrips labels their gear. They do have a serial number and say Made In China on the bottom of the chassis. I don't need to see the serial number on the back plate. It's fine to have the serial number on a sticker on the bottom of the DAC. That's not hiding things. He once carried and supported Denafrips. He should be aware that the serial numbers and other info is on the bottom.

kumizi, jusbe, Ingenieur and 4 others like this.
  13. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

I’m sure Danny will release a video soon saying how bad the crossovers are and how you can but

14. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

That’s a really strange statement. The same audiophiles who spend thousands cables and interconnects? Audiophiles in my experience are one group who don’t mind putting their hand in their wallets.

DIYmusic, Khorn and hi_watt like this.
  15. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Dude, this OCD bozo is not very intelligent ( You can't really compare this dude's aptitude level with guys like A. Jones). If you want to buy the OCD speaker, buy it, enjoy it and don't post his crap on this thread. Start a separate OCD thread and name it "Strictly for fans of OCD hifi only"

jusbe and Ingenieur like this.
  16. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident

He’s a great salesman …. He reminds me of Steve Huff in that everything he reviews is the next big thing.

Leao likes this.
  17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Interesting. The Sorcepoint 10s aren't one of Steve Guttenbergs 6 favorite speakers of the year.

Frank Bisby likes this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Probably a bit too new to have a chance to make the cut this year. Maybe next year? Maybe next year when they release another variation in the SourcePoint 10 model line?

rischa likes this.
  19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Maybe, but he did a full review in 2022 so you'd think they would count. I noticed someone in the youtube comments mentioned their omission from the list, but SG didn't reply. I'm thinking they just weren't one of his top 6 for the year. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I was still surprised considering all the hype and his fresh review.

beowulf likes this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

i would have assumed he would have been excited to include them if they had made the cut. somewhat irrelevant, of course (speakers = highly personal choices).

from what I heard at CAF, if I were ordering new speakers today, it would be these.

mreeter and rischa like this.
  21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Maybe he's holding off until next year because they haven't shipped yet.

rischa likes this.
  22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Is anyone going to the listening event at Music Direct tomorrow night? AJ will be there in person.

macster and mreeter like this.
  23. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

For sure, if you go let us know what you think

24. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

The guy is doing what some do in politics. Vilify. Divide.
    I have 0 tolerance for that type,
    First and last time I click on his bile.

MC Rag likes this.
  25. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to attend.