Andy Griffith Show question...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Dec 8, 2018.

1. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Actor Hal Smith who played Otis is interred in Woodlawn Cemetery in Santa Monica. Irene Ryan (Granny Clampett) and Barbara Billingsley (June Cleaver) are also there.
    Whenever I am in LA I try to visit that cemetery because my grandparents are there also.

illinoisteve, G E, musicfan37 and 2 others like this.
  2. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

In an early episode, Floyd had a young son named Norman who played a saxophone. I highly doubt this kid was conceived out of wedlock. :unhunh:

fr in sc likes this.
  3. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Yeah, in the earliest episodes, Floyd was a younger, very energetic and much more with-it guy. As each season passed, he seemed to age quite abit. I believe he also suffered from a stroke, that seemed to exaggerate some aspects of his personality. While later, he may have not been a chick magnet, it made for a very colorful character for the series.

Wikipedia:
    In 1961, McNear was cast as the vague, chatty barber Floyd Lawson on The Andy Griffith Show. During the show's run, he suffered a stroke that rendered the left side of his body nearly paralyzed. He left the series for nearly a year and a half to recover. Andy Griffith asked McNear to return to the series, to which McNear agreed despite being unable to walk or stand, and the production crew accommodated him accordingly, as Floyd was usually seen onscreen either seated, or standing with support. Many scenes were shot with him sitting on a bench outside the barber shop, as opposed to actively trimming hair as before. In most of his post-stroke scenes, McNear's left hand would be holding a newspaper or resting in his lap, while he moved his right arm and hand as he spoke his lines. In a 1967 episode titled "Goobers Contest," McNear's character is heard, but not seen, walking into the courthouse. The next scene shows Floyd already seated in a chair.​

4. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

In the early episodes Barney made mention he had a house, then later on he was living at Miss Bendlebright's place

5. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couldn’t Helen help him out w his grades? C’mon! She’s the sheriff’s babe!

Hot Ptah likes this.
  6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Absolutely not! Helen was a model of integrity!

Luke The Drifter, Kyhl and Vinny123 like this.
  7. Vinny123

She could have taught Opie one of life’s biggest lessons- you help out you friends. It would be a better life lesson for Opie if his father had to pay thousands more for a private college?

Hot Ptah likes this.
  8. Vinny123

I mean, she had to figure that she’d probably end up as his stepmother. Help the kid out!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Hot Ptah

If you watch every episode from the beginning, it is just impossible that Helen would change Opie’s grades. Whether or not it would have been a good idea, it would have been so out of character for Helen that the show would have been a different show.

Helen changing Opie’s grades would have been like Captain Jean-Luc Picard being a secret Romulan agent embedded within Star Trek to destroy the Federation. It might be a great idea, but it is totally inconsistent with the actual show.

10. Vinny123

Of course you’re right. Did she become an administrator at the school at some point?

11. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

It was the Esquire Club they wanted to join. Saw the episode not that long ago.

Vinny123 and Hot Ptah like this.
  12. Hot Ptah

In the very first episode of Season 1, both Aunt Bee and Andy had exaggerated Southern, hillbilly accents. Andy's was so broad that I find it distracting when I watch the episode again. Aunt Bee said things like "give me some sugar" which meant that she wanted a kiss from little Opie. I imagine that this is what the Hollywood producers either thought were authentic Southern ways of talking, or were told by Andy were authentic ways of talking in rural North Carolina. It is really different to view that episode in light of all of the later episodes. I think that if they had stuck with the Episode 1 Southern accents, the show might not have been as big of a hit.

forthlin likes this.
  13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have relatives in Oklahoma that say that, with a very southern drawl. They are 250 miles south of here, amazing that there's that much difference in dialects.

14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't think Griffith thought the accent was a good idea, actually I think he disliked it very much. That's why they were dropped after the first season or so.

15. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

My father's family is from southern NC. My aunts all said that phrase and I still do now!

forthlin and dewey02 like this.
  16. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Cute and engaging idea!

Back then, Andy could have easily inherited the house from his family and maintenance would have been cheap. Aunt Bea knew how to stretch a dollar when it came to cooking and darning socks.

Depravity had not been invented yet so money was not wasted on vice.

Jack Lord, Vinny123 and Hot Ptah like this.
  17. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Or like Andy and Barney dropping acid together...
    [​IMG]

18. Vinny123

That’s great

19. jason88cubs

gonna go home, tak a little nap, go down to the filling station for a bottle of pop and go to Thelma Lou's to watch a little tv

yep i think that's what I'm gonna do

Home, little nap, bottle of soda pop, then over to Thelma Lou's for tv

20. Vinny123

Some very good points. Andy’s only vices were cigarettes and a beer now and then in Mt Pilot.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  21. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Just do it! Go to Thelma Lou’s.... watch a little tv....take a nap.......just do it!!!!

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

During graduate school I was part of a long-term research project, and I was responsible for interacting with our participants in Surry County, North Carolina. On my first trip to Mount Airy (Andy's hometown) I was surprised to see how much larger it was than "Mayberry". It has two middle schools, for instance, a far cry from Helen Crump's school house. On my first trip to nearby Pilot Mountain I kept telling myself "Don't say Mount Pilot, don't say Mount Pilot".

23. jason88cubs

I found it funny on how episodes that took place on a Sunday, Andy, Barney, or Aunt Bee would talk about going to the drug store to get ice cream, or soda or whatever

No way a small southern Christian town would have businesses open on Sundays in the 60s

24. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

They were usually open Sunday afternoons (I grew up in a small southern town).

BluesOvertookMe and pocofan like this.
  25. jason88cubs

Really?! For some reason I felt they'd be closed