Andy Griffith Show question...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Dec 8, 2018.

1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"Fife, we all know how a gate works."

Lee Davis likes this.
  2. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

I think David Lee Roth must have seen this episode because in the song “And The Cradle Will Rock” he says “Have you seen Opie’s grades?”

fr in sc, forthlin and jason88cubs like this.
  3. G E

G E Senior Member

Barney couldn’t drive. In one episode he bought one to the chagrine if Andy. He got rid of it by episode’s end.

4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I thought he said 'junior"?

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Did he never drive the squad car? What about "Citizen's Arrest?" Or the episode where Barney was going to buy a car from the old lady (who had stolen the car she was selling???"

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

My wife and I have seen every episode a zillion times but it’s on with two episodes back to back on METV so we still always watch it .

So, yeah Aunt Bea is a great cook normally but for some reason makes horrible pickles and doesn’t know it, Barney sings acceptable harmonies singing with Andy but sings horribly in the choir episode, etc.

Plus, some people played multiple characters within a few years in the show.

I think Allan Melvin must have done a half a dozen of them: the grocery store sweeper that “Judo Barney” takes care of , one of the vegetable peddlers on the outskirts of town that won’t listen to Barney, one of the henchmen of the lady that sells Barney the car, hotel detective Bardoli, an escaped prisoner ...

P.S. I just looked it up. Allan did eight different characters on the show.

My wife and I also get a kick out of fact that the show is set in the 60’s but almost all of the female Mayberry characters except for various girlfriends dress like it’s the late 30’s or the 40’s with the plumed hats etc.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  7. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I grew up in the Midwest in the 60s and LOTS of those older ladies, especially in Baptist churches similar to the ones pictured in Mayberry, wore those types of clothes and hats. That looked lasted a long time with older folks.

illinoisteve, dewey02, eddiel and 4 others like this.
  8. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Army recruiter when Ernest T tried to enlist (in order to have a uniform to impress the ladies).

Glenn Christense likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Allan Melvin also did 8 episodes of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, usually as Rob's army buddy. His name varied from Sam to Sol and Pomeroy to Pomeranz. He also did turns as a prison guard and gunslinger. He was a very popular character actor all through the classic years of television.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Also Sam the butcher on "The Brady Bunch", of course. He never did marry Alice, and then he moved all the way to Queens.

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  11. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

He was the voice of Magilla Gorilla!

I remember him from the Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. show as well.

12. Glenn Christense

Yep, he worked steadily from his Sgt. Bilko role
    until he retired and was always good in everything I saw him in.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I noticed, actually somewhat surprised at how many of those actors played roles on the Gomer Pyle series (I know they were owned by the same production company).

Lee Davis likes this.
  14. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

That line was in response to "what would Barney do if Andy was out of town with the squad car?" The answer being "Barney couldn't drive" in that case.

forthlin likes this.
  15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

ah, but Sam did Marry Alice. She comes back to the Brady residence after a fight with Sam in the Brady Girls Get Married movie. However, a different actor plays Sam.

RayS and MikeInFla like this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Ah, I was in Chicago so I didn't see much of that stuff by the 60's, except a couple of my grammar school teachers wore dresses that looked old timey/dowdy to me .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I grew up not far from Chicago. It was an industrial suburb and certainly not a rural area, but an area that had many ethnic populations, mostly second-generation: Polish, Italian, German, etc., all pretty much living in their own neighborhoods. The women pretty much looked very much like they did on the Andy Griffith show.

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don't recognize fake Sam, or fake Jan for that matter!

19. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Barney drove the squad car several times during the show.
    Barney had his own car in at least one of the very first couple of episodes.

Hot Ptah and forthlin like this.
  20. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Sgt. Carter's nemesis on Gomer Pyle, USMC. Can't remember his name! Sgt Hacker?

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a shame they only did 1 season on BD, but they sabotaged the series with the $129.00 list price! LOL...

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, but who didn't want to live in Mayberry that was a fan of the show...; )

23. Glenn Christense

I never noticed when I was watching the show as a kid but as I’ve been watching it the last five or six years again I notice that almost every out of towner that comes through Mayberry is bad in some way.

Bank robber,pickpocket, jewel thief, bookie, scam artists with Aunt Bee, con woman with Floyd, business man who needs his car fixed now, old lady junk car seller, newspaper owner who has it in for Andy, the spoiled bike kid, and on and on.

Some of them, like the business man in a hurry, Bill Bixby and the lady speeder see the light and learn the beauty of “The Mayberry Way”. :D

Thank the lord for the occasional Barbara Eden manicurist and Malcom Merriweather otherwise I’d think that it’s a cesspool of humanity our there if you ain’t from Mayberry. :p

24. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

25. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident