Angel weighs in on recording LP's to CDRs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Gotcha!

;)

Well.. we're waiting! :D :D :D

2. Angel

Angel New Member

Hey, my name in lights at last! You like me, you really like me!

I guess I better actually write something then.

I've found that when I make a CDR from a really good LP using a really good tube phono preamp, with a really accurate RIAA setting, to a DAT machine or Sony 1630 first via a good A/D converter, the results are amazing. (Nice run-on, sorry).

But, when I compare the finished CDR to my original LP both played back at the same time on a really good resolving system, the LP wins, but by just a little bit. Some of the echo, or ambience seems to fall through the holes on the digital version. Not a lot, mind you, but it does sound a little less "analog" to me. I haven't tried the Alesis 24/96 stand alone Masterlink yet (although some of the boys at the studio swear by it), so that might make it even.

So, those are my thoughts. The CD-R sounds just as good or bad as what I record onto it, but loses just a bit of ambient information.

THANKS FOR MY MOMENT IN THE SUN! :)

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

And thank you for that most excellent and thoughtful, yet concise, writeup!

Attached Files:

4. Angel

Angel New Member

Ah! The Oscar. Thank you so much members of the SH Forums and Mr. Holy Zoo. I accept on behalf of Audiophiles everywhere.;)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The LP won because there are too many stages between the LP and the CD-R. Cut out the DAT and see what you get.
    This brings a question, are you using a standalone CD burner or computer? See, you have to play your DAT back on the DAT machine. A CD-R made on a computer will be played on a CD player. My point is that your test is thrown off a bit by different converters being used for playback of the CD-R. The same DAC is used in the DAT.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Angel,

Have you or anyone at the studio auditioned the Pacific M. Systems A/D converter? Supposed to be killer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.