Animal House

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RetroSmith, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

The newly remastered DVD of Animal House comes out tomorrow.

I'm VERY curious to see how good/bad it looks. Landis made the restoration team DOWNGRADE the image. That sucks. hopefully, it still looks good tho.

And I wonder if the music is mixed in 5.1 sound. I tend to doubt it tho.

Mikey

2. GabeG

GabeG New Member

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Love this movie....

top 5 favorites of all time....I will buy this today.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

No question, one of the funniest movies of all time!!!!

5. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Where are they now...

So does anyone know what ever happened the actresses that played "Shelly Dubinsky" and "Clorette Depasto" - Lisa Baur and Sarah Holcomb???

Lisa Baur only has 1 film credit, Animal House but I believe she appeared in a Charlies Angels episode, Sarah Holcomb has about three film credits but nothing after 1980...

I cannot find any more info on them, they seemed to have just disappeared...just curious.

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, having watched it a few times(widescreen edition), I can safely say it is an improvement over the previous one; the image does have some saturated colors, but nothing a little mild adjustments won't fix. Although Landis may have not wanted a pristine image, but some of the scenes--not least the finale, which was shot in broad daylight--are especially vivid. At least it seems to have just enough grain to look like a film.

The sound, well....it's basically contrived 5.1, not discrete, really, though there is some separation to the music that seems honest, though more to the front than the back speakers. Haven't checked out the mono soundtrack yet--truth is, I forgot--but if it's just a fair replication, cleaned up, that will do also.

For $15(or less), a good deal.

ED:cool:

7. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

$14.99 at Target

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

ANIMAL HOUSE fanatics may want to scour the out-of-print book market for a copy of THE NATIONAL LAMPOON 1964 HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK, where the Larry Kroger character was first envisioned.

The faux yearbook, owned by one Larry Kroger, is a brilliant re-creation of a non-descript high school in Illinois or Ohio, complete with senior photos, club pages, signatures and wishes from classmates. Although it contains no narrative other than what you glean from reading the yearbook, you're completey immersed in Larry's world, from his crushes, his surfing fantasies, his horrible teachers, and best of all, his class clown best friend, Wing-Ding Weisenheimer, who's thoughtfully scrawled a lot of messages on Larry's yearbook, including "What a dip****" right over the unfortunate soul occupying the In Memorium page. The period details are as carefully recreated as any Hollywood release.

One of the funniest books ever written (conceived?), it's well-worth the hunt. You'll be laughing out loud for a week. You have to read everything -- even the underclassmen rosters, the literary magazine, and Larry's permanent record.

9. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Re: Where are they now...

The only other film I can remember Sarah Holcomb in was the other comedy staple- Caddyshack! She played the waitress that was making it with the Caddy.

Chris

10. crazywater

Re: Re: Where are they now...

I found some info on Sarah Holcomb that says she had drug and alcohol problems but now is living "in the middle of nowhere under another name."

Still no Lisa Baur info to be found anywhere...

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Bought my copy on Tuesday, the release date. Pretty good all around, though a stereo soundtrack woulda been nice. I was also hoping for some unused outtakes, but I'm sure Landis nixed that idea in the bud.

Mr. & Mrs. Dean Wormer ain't lookin' too good these days.

And I guess Larry Kroger was nowhere to be found??

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

They were in their fifties when the film was shot. I'm glad they're still around to talk about it! I do wonder what Thom Hulce is up to...sorry to hear he's not on the interview.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Compare the new 5.1 sound to the original during Shout. You'll be surprised how different they are. Do you want midrange and compression or do you want screamingly loud top end and no bottom? The choice is yours. Also, they didn't mix the shouted "SHOUT" during that song as well on the new mix. You can actually hear where they edited them in. Annoying.

During other sections they seem very similar. Some of the party scenes I prefer the original mix. You can hear the snare drum of A Summer Place better on the original mix. They've also used different sections of the song during parts of the new mix. Flip back and forth. You'll hear it. It's before Tom Hulce gets the girl's shirt off. :D

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Is the original (mono?) mix on the dvd?

15. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Well check this out: there's a reprint that just came out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-4154880-2093567?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Including a recent "where are they now" chapter at the end! :)

jeff

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes. :thumbsup:

17. crazywater

Verna Bloom was "Mrs Wormer" for the "Where Are They Now" segment that was made for the DVD, she had a horrible wig on. The older documentary shows how she really looks these days, even though that is about 10 years old itself...

The shouting during "Shout" was very annoying but thats the only thing about the 5.1 sound that bothered me, mostly I though it was an improvement...

18. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

What he said. Emphasis on read EVERYTHING- every word, cover to cover. Take your time, treat it like a novel.

It's wonderfully self-referential; the characters' personalities and lives are so well-defined, you feel like you're seeing an overview of a real "community" of people.

19. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just got this a few days ago. I have to return it tomorrow, though, because I accidentally got the fullscreen version. :realmad:

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I remember reading that book years ago. The freshman paeg was hilarious! THey crammed about 100 (?) quarter inch square pictires of each freshman. - also the funny names: Ava Gina, Carson Buses, Rufus Leaking, etc. A real classic - now I gotta get a copy!

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Does the original soundtrack on the new remaster have alla the songs in mono? It woulda been nice to have Let's Dance and the Sam Cooke stuff in stereo...

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I got the recent reprint in at my store today, and looked it over. First of all, the book's a hardcover, a nice improvement over the original, glue-bound paperback, and a good deal at $19.95. The new "extras" are nothing essential, but it's great to have this hard-to-find-in-good-condition classic available again.

The bad news: The new reprint seems to have been copied from an earlier printing, rather than re-shot from the originals. The black-and-white photography has that third- or fourth-generation look to it: contrasts are exaggerated, details obscured, shadows too prevalent, and everything's simply too dark. I was surprised how poor it looked. I don't think running my old paperback through an office copier would produce anything worse.

Still, you read this for the laughs, and while I would prefer a very good paperback version for the clearer photography, the new reprint is still worth your allowance money.

24. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Finally got my non full-screen edition, and I'm very angered that I was just held captive by my own DVD player and forced to watch four separate commercials - without the option of fast-forwarding, skipping, or going to the menu.

Oh well. On to the movie.

25. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

That really got me mad! :realmad: If I want to eat a baked potato and watch the movie, I guess I'll have to put them both in at the same time!

However, I was able to fast-forward through the previews on my PS2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.