Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Dec 23, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hoping upon hope that Denis Leary does NOT return for this season. God he was awful in S3. Talk about going through the motions. It was amazing how bad he was.

PhantomStranger and Tree of Life like this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Finally something happens on the flashbacks! And they cut them down by a few minutes.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Although it is interesting to discover that she was pretty hot when she was young.

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Was that a shot? I think that was a shot! :laugh:

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I suppose. I don’t really think I know any more about Smurf than I did before. Is it illuminating that Smurf was capable of taking out her revenge on someone or she’d learn to not mix business and pleasure so easily?

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Agree with this. Sort of figured something like what did happen was going to happen. And it seemed pretty consistent with who she is in the present day. Summarizing: She holds a grudge, and she'll mislead people if necessary to get help in extracting revenge.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The the two murders at the of the episode IMO was about the juxtaposition of young Smurf learning to not mix business with personal compared to her son Cody not having learned that lesson.

Crimson jon likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm a little behind on this series. Smurf had a son named Cody? I thought that was her last name. I guess I need to catch up, ASAP.

Brenald79 likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I meant Deran Cody. The one who cut his hair last season.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Of course. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

But given the amount of time spent on flashbacks so far this season, that’s not much of a payoff.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Does anyone else think this thing only has about one more season in it? Tops? I've enjoyed the season so far, but I'm finding it's getting a bit repetitive and, frankly, boring in places. Considering Barkin's character's condition, I can't see her lasting after this season and, without her, what to do you do? I also find 'Pope''s storyline beyond boring. He broods, his gets mad, he broods some more and blah. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in lately.

Oh yeah, and the flashbacks are just flat annoying. I could do without them completely. It seems like they're just using them to pad the story.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think young Smurf's pregnant with Pope (and his twin!). Who's the daddy? Even if I'm right, this whole flashback thing was a mistake!

forthlin likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are too many storylines going on right now. The show was better when Smurf was the central villian with the family fighting her gravitational pull. But I guess like real people, characters can’t stay in their orbit forever.

I disagree that Smurf’s health condition necessarily means anything about the future of the show. It’s a fictional drama. She’s not a real person and she’s not really sick. Unless in real life the producers and/or Barkin are trying to end the character, I don’t see any reason she can’t make a miraculous recovery. Whether that means the show can make a recovery is another story however...

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That was Baz’s wife in the first season. Lena’s mom.

Crimson jon likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s right. I’m clearly out to lunch recognizing characters.

I’m enjoying this season no less than others. The robberies (like in last night’s episode) they pull are creative.

Crimson jon and GodShifter like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I though this was hilarious last epsisode: “If you don’t take my tests and get me an A in statistics I’ll tell the police you did that huge robbery” lol.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So what did you think of this season?

Overall I'd say it was pretty good. I was surprised that

in the final episode they followed through and killed off Smurf.

I am still a bit ambivalent about the flashbacks, but they got more interesting as time went on. I guess they will continue into next season.

I wonder where it will go next season. My guess is a lot of J vs Pope stuff.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The next season will be it's last, whether they plan for it or not!

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You do realize there’s still one episode left this season?

21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

There is? I thought that was season finale. They make a lot of episodes per season. I like the show and can't wait until season 5 ...some interesting dynamics are sure to take place. Who will actually take charge of the group?

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There is. Next week is the season finale.

It sounds like next season will be a lot like this season - with a lot of back and forth between 70s Smurf and the current day Cody’s. Ugggh.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Crimson jon

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. It felt like such a huge way to end a season that I just assumed.

I hate to say it but adrian and smurf both get on my nerves so not having them around will be good. I'm assuming that instead of disappearing adrian and his cody cohort will part ways...I might be wrong

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No...I thought this was it. And it felt satisfactory for a season finale.

Great! Waiting for the next one!

Brenald79 and Crimson jon like this.
  25. Crimson jon

I also assumed it was the finale. I guess they will tie up the adrian loose end and some sort of funeral/ send off for smurf. Make sure we see Jay taking over by the end of the episode.