Annoying Things On ' Their Satanic Majesties Request '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I agree he with Christgau in this one - a likeable oddity.

2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

did he get to rewrite his review a few times?

georgwithoutane likes this.
  3. APH

APH Forum Resident

Gomper is the only annoying track.
    Less influenced by the Beatles, more by Love, Incredible String Band, Pink Floyd

ARK, Chrome_Head, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I don’t find Their Satanic Majesties’ Request to be a particularly annoying album, especially when compared to other albums around the same time in a similar style. Sgt Pepper, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Odessey and Oracle, and Smile all have annoying moments, obnoxious sound effects, and weird songwriting moments that really only work in the context of the album. TSMR has the snoring (which does get on my nerves), songs like “Sing This All Together (See What Happens)” and “On With The Show”, and some other pointless sound effects, but that stuff isn’t any more abundant or annoying than what’s on the aforementioned albums.

5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The one thing that annoys me is the fact that the Stones never did another album like this...

6. 7solqs4iago

a time of losing the creative manager, drug use, a little jail time, publicity filled court appearances

a real fear it was all coming to a crashing end immediately with 3 of them seriously facing prison sentences

7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

He didn't say it was influenced by anyone...

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Some Girls is also a piss-take on the trend of the day but they actually played and wrote consistently well for that one

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

On with the Show and Something Happened to Me Yesterday have always struck me as kind of Kinksy.

10. 7solqs4iago

edit: didn't see the earlier page one Dandelion and We Love You comment....

screen jumped to page 2 with another entry

agreed fully!

11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

it would have made all the difference to me..

12. 7solqs4iago

it HAD to have aimless canoodling and navel contemplation... :D

13. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I think it is a great album just as it is. People take these things too seriously. Things were moving so fast in the sixties. Probably didn’t think people would be analysing them fifty years later.

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

What annoys me the most is that the kick drum in Sing This All Together on the stereo mix is mixed lower compared to the mono mix where it helps move the song along.

15. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

My feeling too. This album, both sides of the We Love You single and Child Of The Moon are my fave Stones!

16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I find that this one and Between the Buttons both have some really awkward moments, but this one works better as an album, partly because they really go for broke on the psychedelic thing. My biggest problem with it is really how poor it sounds - kinda brittle and not a lot of depth in the mixes, despite how much sound is in there. It all sounds kinda crammed in.

And I guess I could do without the snoring.

17. Yeah it along with the snoring mars an otherwise fine attempt at psychedelic music.

18. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

Remove the last song on each side (the long "Sing This All Together" jam and "On With The Show") and replace them with "Dandelion" and "We Love You". Then you'd have a great album. (I'd keep "Gomper" in there - I like it, even though a lot of people don't.)

I'm not sure when "Child Of The Moon" was recorded, but if was done before this album came out, definitely put that on there too.

19. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Love the album, just wish it had a fatter sound in places - like Sing This All Together, which is one of my all time favourite songs, but it still sounds really weedy. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Love the album. The only thing that annoys me is the fact that the labyrinth is unsolvable.... :biglaugh:

It's here!

blivet, YardByrd, Paper Shark and 4 others like this.
  21. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I've really never got this - how is the cover similar to Sgt Pepper? Other than that they both feature the band waring bright coloured garish clothes? The settings are completely different and seems more similar to say Chad and Jeremy's Of Cabbages of Kings, though I'm sure that's coincidental.

22. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

No, but The Stones took what they learned from making Their Satanic Majesty's Request and applied it to the work that followed - Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed - pairing great creative production with truly inspired songs.

Sean, tug_of_war, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

For my taste - which is varied and myriad - TSMR is the best album that the Stones ever produced.
    If you're not into late 60s Psyche, it probably isn't for you.
    What would I change about it?
    Nothing.

Folknik, fuse999, zobalob and 7 others like this.
  24. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The only thing I don't like about the album is the negativity that Mick has towards it.

25. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

Wonder what he means by the album's obsession being "a sense of distance"? A polite way of saying that the Stones had lost their way and were fooling no one, parading as fey psychedelicists? (That album review has to be one of his most mealy-mouthed.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.