Annoying Things On ' Their Satanic Majesties Request '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

The color scheme, the costumes, the positioning of the band, the fact that it was also released in 1967 after Sgt. Pepper. It's obviously not exactly the same, but there's no denying that they saw Sgt. Pepper's cover before making there's.

I know The Beatles were inspired by Pet Sounds, it would be like if they had a cover of them posing with farm animals. Even if it didn't look the same, you would know they wouldn't have done that without directly imitating Pet Sounds.

ARK, unclefred, Dudley Morris and 3 others like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

My go-to version

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (alternate version)

1. We Love You
    2. Dandelion
    3. Citadel
    4. In Another Land
    5. 2000 Man
    6. She's a Rainbow
    7. The Lantern
    8. 2000 Light Years From Home

Wil1972, BDC, Lexhibit and 6 others like this.
  3. walkonthewildside

walkonthewildside Forum Resident

"We Love You" & "Dandelion" always sounded like something that would fit on Between The Button's imo.

4. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

There are lots of annoying things on that album. I used the best tracks and made a Sones psychedelia album. I posted the results here, but there was no interest, so I dropped it. Sounds great, though.

5. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

As I recall, Roy Carr certainly suggested this in The Rolling Stones; An Illustrated Record (published in the 70s)- I think he proposed

Citadel
    In Another Land
    She’s A Rainbow
    The Lantern
    2000 Light Years

6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm not so sure of this--they certainly had enough material for a full album, especially dropping the filler that closes both sides and adding "We Love You" and "Dandelion" to the running order somewhere.

7. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

we love you is inconceivable without the court dates and jail time....

8. walkonthewildside

walkonthewildside Forum Resident

I know, but like musically! ;)

7solqs4iago likes this.
  9. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

There are a few great songs on the album and a lot of rubbish. BTW, I prefer their late sixties singles to anything else they've done.

10. 7solqs4iago

i can see/hear that...

but the next year's events turned them loopy

11. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

…..not sure they both belong on the album……WLY is a bit speedy for the generally laid-back vibe……Dandelion might work, yeah….

12. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

No denying they were influenced by Sgt Pepper, but I just see the cover and see a bunch of chumps in wizards' outfits sitting in a fantasy landscape, whereas Sgt Pepper has them dressing up as a band - nothing mystical or fantastical about it. No right or wrong though, just my brain doesn't really make the connection between the two the way yours does! I mean, obviously my brain is right though... :)

13. The color scheme? Majesties has a very wide border of blue sky/white clouds and in the center is a 3D lenticular image. Costumes? When did medieval costumes become a stand-in for 1920’s marching band garb? In no way is it similar to Peppers, other than the same photographer was used.

14. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

You're being way too literal. None of their other albums have bright colors like that or the Stones in brightly colored costumes (except maybe Dirty Work, but that's another story...). Are you telling me that if it wasn't for Sgt. Pepper they would have completely come up with that cover on their own?

If only there was some kind of clue that they were directly referencing the Beatles...

[​IMG]

15. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Totally agree.

I really don’t like Satanic (and didn’t when it came out) but those two additions would make it passable in my view.

16. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

The presence of the Beatles portraits is proof positive the cover is a piss take.

17. I understand that that the Satanic cover is influenced by the Pepper cover and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. What I don't understand is why people think this is a bad thing. It's one of the iconic record covers of all time.

18. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

I'm willing to accept this, but as someone who doesn't follow the Rolling Stones there's no way of knowing that, it just looks like a rip-off. I definitely prefer knowing it's a piss take.

19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

The high pitched guitar screech/feedback (or whatever it is) in the Citadel. :help: Not a bad song otherwise, but that annoying sound completely ruins it for me.

20. 7solqs4iago

[​IMG]

21. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

Well it's official: both of these albums reek of piss.

ARK, 7solqs4iago, Ma Kelly and 2 others like this.
  22. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

As soon as I saw the thread title, this came immediately to my mind - had to turn the volume down many a time when I've been getting right into the the album lol. I think someone who was listening to it with me actually said about it "That's just annoying!" :laugh:

I can't think of anything else much wrong with it, aside from other things that have also been mentioned... a couple of the intros to the tracks that are not part of the actual songs I'd prefer to be without (like on She's A Rainbow and On With The Show, for example.) But these are very minor to me.

And the overlong IMO reprise of Sing This Song All Together I don't think I'd notice if it were skipped! Not that I ever really do that but it's an idea... ;)

Other than this, it's an album I got incredibly addicted to when I loaned a friend's copy in the 90s and then bought it on CD as soon as I could. It's a few years since I last heard it, so I will need to rectify this. :agree:

23. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

That they ripped off the Lady Godiva's Operation riff even though it had not been released yet
    ( allegedly )

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I always looked at it as The Stones taking a highly entertaining left turn; while the songs in general don't amount to their greatest material *ever*, there are a handful of "gems" in there and overall, it's a very colorful, fun listening experience. It's an interesting link between, Between The Buttons and Beggars Banquet. With the latter they came back practically as a whole other band in terms of a tighter-than-ever sounding band bringing their "grit" to an entirely other level both in terms of songwriting and studio sound. SMR fits very nicely in the album sequence. And for what it's worth, it seems to have aged pretty well, gaining more fans as the decades have passed by.

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

On what track would that have been on?

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.