Annoying Things On ' Their Satanic Majesties Request '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

No, but I would like to know if possible too! :)

My UK Decca '67 single is the same as on that set but that's to be expected - even if it's a collection basically of the US singles and their B sides.

2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

compilation Dandelions are usually edited, not for The Singles Collection

We Love You was cut off the US Through the Past Darkly, compilation packages gave it to us over here

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Easily the worst thing the Stones ever did and high in my worst albums of all time.

4. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Two things: On with the show is just great!
    'She's doing her thing' is an outtake that should have been squeezed somewhere on this album. I got it on a CD about a month ago and can't stop listening to it.

Aftermath, ooan, zobalob and 5 others like this.
  5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Interesting, it’s my favorite Stones album and one of my favorite albums of all time. Different strokes…

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

40 minutes of the snoring and “Cosmic Christmas” noises would still be better than Voodoo Lounge, in my opinion.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Don't care for ' Voodoo Lounge ' but that's harsh.

unclefred and 7solqs4iago like this.
  8. 7solqs4iago

i'm kind of fine with knowing about 20 minutes total of their album output since Tattoo You

9. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Pretty sure this is just how it was for the mono single mixes (reminding you to flip the record over to the other side). Both songs are usually stereo on comps and those mixes end clean.

zobalob and 7solqs4iago like this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Actually, there was a 5 song EP released in the US for jukeboxes. It’s incredibly rare. Usually fetches a grand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]A pretty strong EP indeed.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Nice. I know that they've unearthed tons of good quality outtakes/sessions from 1967, but there's so much to go through that it's kind of daunting. I'd welcome a well curated stroll through the Satanic sessions, but maybe there's a good YouTube playlist out there.

12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

There was a 10 CD bootleg set available at one time.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

You're missing out on some good stuff.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That's what I'm saying--too much of a good thing!

15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

We're Only In It For the Money is a piss take. The Beatles portraits here are a wink-back to the Rolling Stones shirt on the Pepper cover.

16. 7solqs4iago

i know.... no plans to hear the whole catalogue

17. John LaMartine

John LaMartine Lizard King wannabe

I've gone through the full range of TSMR opinions - hated it when released, indifferent to it for many years, and then...somehow, in recent years, found myself actually enjoying most of it. Yes, there's still the obvious crap, but I now think of the whole LP as a somewhat flawed old friend, worth a regular spin on the turntable. Is the snoring annoying? I suppose, but, at this point, it's a baked in sound effect - wouldn't be the complete album without it.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

What are your peeves and beefs with it?
    don't have any...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, since day one...after all no Beatles no Stones...

20. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

I'd replace "Gomper" with "We Love You" and leave everything else exactly the way it is.

Where's that joint?

APH and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  21. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Both extended endings present on MORE HOT ROCKS SACD.

22. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

That's precisely how they were on the original UK Decca 7" single. Owned that since I was a teen so always felt "wrong" on compilations when the quick fade in/outs don't appear! I think it might have been another of their nods to The Beatles as they'd done the fade out/fade in trick on Strawberry Fields earlier in the year. I also think - I may be wrong - they were aiming for a double A side but the fuss and notoriety around We Love You ensured that Dandelion was never given much attention. To my ears, Dandelion is the catchier song and an oddly charming one by Stones standards.

One thing that's always intrigued/puzzled me is why they made a promo film for 2000 Light Years From Home. Thank goodness they did but still seems odd given it was an album track and a B side in the States. If only one day we could get an official BluRay containing all those promos they made during the mid to late 60's... they did some great ones!

23. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Like all albums I love, I find nothing annoying about it. Or else I'd enjoy something that wasn't annoying. :)

Rather, there is everything to love!

In my opinion it remains one of the most underappreciated albums ever made.

Like most my favorite albums, it gets better with age and I uncover more and more with each new listen. Citadel alone might be the heaviest thing they ever recorded, and is my favorite off the album.

What a wild and wondrous record! Only in the Sixties... :)

24. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Nothing about Their Satanic Majesties Request annoys me. It has a super-cool LP cover, in keeping with the times (quite similar to SPLHCB and MMT by the Beatles), and has some good songs. My only criticism would be that I much prefer the albums before and after it.

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

No it’s not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.