Another attempt at "I don't get it"..and another failure...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Agree 100%! It certainly moves more the older I get as I'm 67 now! Lol!

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Right on.

carlwm likes this.
  3. Chemically altered

Pardon my lousy grammar on my last post. :oops: I think what really makes Old And Wise so melancholy, aside from Blunstone's moving vocal, is the superb orchestral score of the song. It's one of the all time best examples of orchestral 'sweetening' that I've ever heard.

4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

No worries. To be honest, l don't think I even noticed that there was a word missing :). But yeah, the orchestral arrangement is breathtaking. Very emotional. I turned 50 last year and watching my parents grow old makes it hard for me to listen to Old And Wise these days.

5. Chemically altered

Yes, old age for the parents is really tough, and songs do reflect life. I used to think that "When I'm Sixty Four" was a mindless pop ditty until my old man hit his sixties and then it became true to life!

Record Rotator likes this.
  6. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen for me. When Born To Run came out I thought it was nails on a chalkboard. Never recovered from that.

7. MTCIII65

MTCIII65 Where The Loud Sound Abounds!

Phish - Leftover Salmon - Stringcheese Incident, Widespread Panic etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.; snore.

Note: I do own the Dead’s Warner Bros. discography.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

David Bowie, only like a few, don't get any of the rest I heard .

john lennonist likes this.
  9. Record Rotator

Which ones do you like?

10. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Young Americans, Fame, Rebel, Rebel, Space Odyssey, Under Pressure, think that's it, anything else is very experimental sounding to me, lacking melody, don't care for his voice, just plain weird to me.

Record Rotator likes this.
  11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I just don't get Ryan Adams. I've tried but despite he being someone playing the type of music I enjoy I just don't get it. I did think it was funny that so many people got all upset about his disrespecting some females. He got his start playing the Raleigh area, he is from Jacksonville NC. even though I was raising a family at the time, thus not going to the clubs he was well known as being a jerk. He couldn't keep a band together, was drunk all the time, and generally had a reputation as an *******. Did people think when he became successful he was going to stop displaying that sort of behavior?

phillyal1, uzn007 and Lightworker like this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yea...the Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Beach Boys, and U2....
    how terrible...
    who do they think they are...

13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I was kind of like that with the beach boys, never really got it till I had a pet sounds cd in my stereo and was too lazy to take it out and played it every night as I was going to sleep and by the third or fourth listen I got it (but I only go so deep with them) but with a lot of stuff I hear it, don't like it, might try again if I read a lot of good things, and if im not into it that's it

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I can listen to Pet Sounds, but it doesn't affect me, it's like decent background music, like listening to Barbra Streisand.

R. Totale likes this.
  15. Record Rotator

I either like or love about 70 % of his recorded output, so I'm by no means a fanatic fan, but here's a list of other songs you might want to listen to. I'd be interested in reading how you feel about some of these:

Word On A Wing
    Fascination
    Wild Is The Wind
    Always Crashing In The Same Car
    Sound And Vision
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Modern Love
    Thursday's Child

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  16. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

The Doors - Can't stand the boring monotone voice of Jim Morrison. Sorry.

Iron Butterfly - I tried listening to their little magnum opus once... can I have my time back? Did nothing for me.

Adele - Amazing how she's milked the same "woe is me I got dumped" across what three albums that are treated like revered works of art by her fan base. Go away and learn how to write GOOD music Adele.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Wow some of those dislikes are hard to understand but different tastes.. what are others thoughts on these groups?
    The Beatles were terrific in the studio, to me some of the best produced records ever done , but not every single thing they did was outstanding, they took on that mythological status. The Beach Boys had many songs that are just pure fun, and/or beautifully blended harmonies, however I could see how they could be disliked for the content, similarity of many of the songs. The Who was an important rock band, like a few, but very noisy, don't listen to them much , Kinks a little, U2 would be fave overall band for older stuff. Thanks about the Bowie tips, I'll listen for you , except I have heard WITWind and it's a song I don't care for no matter who sings it.

18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Sure, I've done this a number of times with different artists or albums.

Sometimes if I don't like something, it IS due to the state I'm in at that time, or I'm just into a different sound than what that artist is putting out there. So I will give records multiple chances.

GMfan87' and bzfgt like this.
  19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Best post here...thanks.

mr. suit and GMfan87' like this.
  20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I would move on. APP is a band for people who are into their hi-fi more than the music.

Lightworker and uzn007 like this.
  21. AceRizzle

AceRizzle Yeah I love the Strokes, you old fogies.

U2
    The Doors

WeeSam likes this.
  22. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

For me it’s the Black Keys.

23. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Start a thread with that as main topic. The reactions have limitless entertainment potential!

john lennonist, bzfgt and Yovra like this.
  24. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I tried to like The Rutles but their music is to dense and sophisticated for me.

Instant Dharma, bzfgt and Lightworker like this.
  25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Yeah, that Morrison guy is a real 'monotone droner'. Almost as bad as that Sinatra guy...

john lennonist likes this.