Another attempt at "I don't get it"..and another failure...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Nov 13, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am amazed at folks buying whole catalogs of people they don't like.
    I can't afford to get all the stuff of artists i do lol
    I like parsons, but he isnt for everyone. All his stuff has certain smoothness, that when in the mood, will either appeal or it won't.
    Zappa is something else altogether. He is vitually the exact opposite to parsons.

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Electric Light Orchestra
    The Cars
    Blue Oyster Cult

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

What? If it’s unfamiliar, then why not listen to it more that once so you get familiar.

mark winstanley and johnnybrum like this.
  4. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

Velvet Underground for me mostly. Also Bowie to some degree. He has some songs I like but I don’t rate him on the deified level that most do.

Mr. Skin, jonathan, ego1jr and 8 others like this.
  5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Nobody has to like everything, and you're not awarded Cool Points for owning records you don't like. Dismiss them and move on. This is supposed to be fun.

g.z., Mark E. Moon, dunkoid and 15 others like this.
  6. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Active Member

The who. Can’t hear what everyone loves about them. The fact that people rate who’s next (an album IMO is simply only bookended by classics) above sticky fingers for example I just can’t understand. I WANT to though.
    While I’m on the topic, I will also never understand how one can listen to Joshua tree and dislike it. Different tastes, I know- but can’t get my head around that one.

7. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Oasis...who simply aren't nearly as good as they think they are.
    Boston. The only reason to wish I was from Cleveland.
    U2. Certain songs are great...but 90% of their stuff just leaves me cold.
    Radiohead.
    Coldplay. A rock and roll bland.

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have a great respect for the Beatles, yet I have a difficult time listening to them. My family loves them, which makes me feel like I should love them also. This feeling got worse after joining this forum. I even purchased Sgt. Pepper for the third time just to see if maybe it would finally click with me. It didn't. Now I am considering purchasing the white album just to see if maybe I will like it more.

ramdom and John Shaft like this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Coldplay probably have the equivalent of about two albums' worth of songs that I like. The problem is, they are scattered over more than two actual albums.
    I do like the Viva la Vida album though.

dunkoid and MTCIII65 like this.
  10. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I have that triple box set(vinyl) and love it....but there again I love "Live From The Fillmore East"....the one many Zappa fans do not! Agreed the vocal content is puerile,but having said that Flo and Eddy are great,and the band is cooking.What do I know!

caravan70 likes this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Muse and Kasabian mostly.

Does it bother me? Not a jot.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Hollow Horse

This. Blunstone's vocal on Old And Wise is sublime. And because of this thread, I'm now playing Psychobabble and may well follow that with The Same Old Sun. :righton:

13. frimleygreener

Perhaps I picked the wrong albums!.....p.s as well as little old Frimley Green we also have a place not so far from deepest Dorset in Torquay....

WeeSam likes this.
  14. Hollow Horse

Maybe give Eye In The Sky a try?

I grew up in Farnham mostly and later lived in Camberley for a time but we did live in Frimley Green in my earliest years - Buckhurst Road (other side of the railway station) if you know it?

Used to go to Lakeside for the darts. As a growing teen I was quite interested in Bob Potter's daughters!

Saw Don Williams play Lakeside too.

Thorpy likes this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

While I'm not a massive Alan Parsons Project (APP) fan, I've ended up purchasing all of their albums and I like enough of their songs to compile a solid album-sized playlist. I've found that each album contains a song or two that I like, and Ammonia Avenue, which was the album that brought APP to my attention due to the great song "Don't Answer Me", has a number of very good songs. I think that for people who want to sample the music of the APP, the best move would be to purchase a comprehensive Greatest Hits collection (one that covers their entire career).

AKA-Chuck G and DiabloG like this.
  16. frimleygreener

Know Ms. Potter quite well.....Buckhurst Road just along the way from me in Henley Drive(next to the Church of England school playing fields).

17. Hollow Horse

Haven't been there in aeons. Would like to retire back in Surrey when we have grown too old to go to the seaside.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Suggestion:

It would have really helped if the OP would spell out the full name of whatever he is talking about instead of using an acronym right off the bat. It's confusing, and not proper writing style.

The way to do it is to not be lazy, or assume that everyone automatically knows what you're talking about, and spell out the name at least once. After that then use the acronym.

By spelling out the name the first time, it would have saved those of us who have no interest in the topic.

ramdom, DaverJ, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  19. frimleygreener

Umm.. could you explain in what way "The Alan Parsons Project" written in full is an acronym?

20. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

That's what I schedule "play in the background" time for. Sometimes something hits me when I do that, and those are good moments. I'm not gonna accumulate albums just to be able to do that though. If it ain't on YouTube, it gets no listens.

21. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen for me.

Also genesis. I love Peter Gabriel but his genesis days leaves me cold. I’m not adverse to prog rock either.

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've been through the whole Joy Division catalogue, after picking up the box set for a bargain price. It did nothing for me at all: I was bored.

I like the odd 'hit' from the Smiths, but their albums don't do it for me.

Nakamichi likes this.
  23. Hollow Horse

I see both sides there. In one way, all this text speak and abbreviations can be an irritant while in another way, a reader does not understand, as an example, TAPP, simply reading downwards later to find the answer is easier than complaining?

Another TAPP might be 'try a pleasant pastime' :)

24. frimleygreener

Baffled....the full name of the band was cited in the first instance. The acronym was applied at the end of the post to prevent repetition. Did anyone actually read the opening post?

dunkoid, TonyACT and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  25. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I really want to like Joni Mitchell, I’ve tried but I still can’t get into her.
    I like most of Don Juan’s Reckess Daughter and some of Hejira.
    I’ve tried Blue and a couple of others, ..I’m just not getting it.

Ryan Lux, DTK and Guy Smiley like this.