Another attempt at "I don't get it"..and another failure...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I did. It's how I understood.

CaptainFeedback1 and Blank Frank like this.
  2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I like The Joshua Tree, but I could never love it due to Bono's vocals. Achtung Baby is a pretty good album that would most likely be in my collection, if Bono wasn't the lead vocalist.

3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Why should one force themselves to like something?

Sometimes it evolves with time though : I hated the Smiths, didn't understand what the fuss was all about (and on paper they had everything for me, before I actually heard the music), now I sorta kinda like them in small doses (gets very samey). Doesn't mean I forced myself but my appreciation grew with time.

Bono's vocals have changed quite a bit with time. I really love his 90s vocals. He got more varied, with his falsetto, deeper crooning stuff, more detachement sometimes etc. More subtle.I find him grating on "War". Overly up and "in your face".

4. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Frank zappa,Radiohead,Guns n roses,Lou reed,Patti smith,Oasis,Blur,U2,Depeche mode, Gilberto gil
    The list goes on..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jonathan likes this.
  5. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Yep I agree with all but Boston. All the other groups you listed are just a big nothing burger for me.

6. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Which is funny, because I feel exactly the same way about The Rolling Stones. I’ve tried, believe you me, but other than the handful of songs that have been drilled into the collective psyche, I just don’t get ‘em.

DiabloG, Rufus McDufus and jorgy like this.
  7. It doesn't bother me at all. Some things you like, other things you don't. If I don't get it, I simply give up and move on to things I find more interesting.

8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Yeah, I don't need to "get" everything.
    And I don't worry about it, at all.
    I have in the past, rejected something that clicked much later and have scratched my head trying to figure why it didn't work first time around.
    But, I've never worried about something not sinking in, just because I think I should like it.
    I already "get" more than I can afford as it is.

9. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Agreed.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I can never understand anyone buying an album that they think that they should like - then keeping it while trying to get into it. Hell, don't you know what type of music you like? Don't like it? Sell it!

goodiesguy, Earscape, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I think it's worth learning whether music ever grows on you. It takes awhile to learn that, and it takes some effort. Basically, you need an array of different music that doesn't appeal to you, where you periodically--say once per every 1 to 3 years or whatever, for at least 10 years or so--give it a chance to appeal to you over a few listens on each try.

If you discover that music does NOT seem to ever grow on you, then you can safely discard anything that doesn't appeal to you when you first become familiar with it.

If you instead discover that some music DOES grow on you, then it's probably a good idea to not discard anything. Rather just give it an occasional chance to appeal to you--again, once every few years or whatever.

I wouldn't worry about it beyond that. If music sometimes grows on you, give it a chance every once in awhile. If it still doesn't appeal to you, put it aside again.

RobCos02330, Ryan Lux and warewolf95 like this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes, me too. I think someone owes the thread starter an apology.

13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think I Robot is the place to start with Parsons. If you don't like that, you simply don't like the style of music.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. laether

laether Forum Resident

my theory is that first you need only one song that hooks you and only after that it might open the door for the rest of the catalogue or particular album....

needles to say I dont get Dylan. Tried many times. and I love his songs "Mississippi", "Hurricane" and "I Want You"....but still album-wise have nothing....

and as for Zappa...thats difficult. I basically adore the non-vocal stuff and 1973-1975 is my favorite era....but my door to that was "one size fits" album full of tracks with silly vocals.....and still that album is my all time fav from Frank.(and yeah cant really stand his 80s stuff...)

so i guess my theory is that theres no theory :D

15. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Read the post and then apply your "Lovin' musical free spirit".

16. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Ryan Adams for me. Everything about the artist says I should like his music but it just doesn’t move me. He’s suppose to be an excellent songwriter, he plays in a style I enjoy, I liked His band Whiskeytown, he grew up just downs the road from me. But nothing. I always felt like if maybe he had come along in the LP era it might have made a positive difference, force him to arrange his work more logically, force him to self edit, generally be more focused.

thepigdog and phillyal1 like this.
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

When no one gave a fig about Colin Blunstone, he was singing lead on Alan Parsons ' albums. For that alone I give him credit.

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I keep a mental list of those artists and every so often I'll give them another try. Tastes change.

When I first heard Zappa and Black Sabbath I was very young (maybe 10-11) and didn't get them. Glad I kept trying...

mjb likes this.
  19. lazydawg58

Pretty much all heavy metal I just don’t get.

WeeSam, phillyal1 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Way too many artists to list.

21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

No it does not worry me at all. Taste is subjective and varied across the spectrum.

I do not care for the Dave Matthews Band. But a great many people do and I can certainly recognize that there is something appealing there. I doubt Dave or his fans care what I think, especially since I feel no need to launch a campaign dedicated to discrediting him.

I do like Zeppelin, but they are not in my personal Pantheon. I would put Cream or Queen above them, but I still like them.

I am somewhat perplexed by how many here approach the Monkees as something serious. But they are fun to listen to and well, what do I care?

And it took me years to get into the Grateful Dead. I knew they came out of the SF psychedelic scene, but listening to them mystified me. Where were the distorted guitars and feedback? I was expecting something like Strawberry Alarm Clock. Time and hanging out with a lot of DHs made me wiser and now I love them. But I still understand why many do not.

If you don't like something you don't. To each his own.

22. lazydawg58

Never underestimate the value of fun music (Monkees)

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I clearly stated that I enjoyed listening to them.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It took repeated listening, but I finally warmed to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Elmo & Patsy.
    I actually took the time to track down the original 45, which is a fun spin in December. It's all about subtext.

DHamilton likes this.
  25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Music I don't enjoy doesn't bother me at all.

warewolf95 and laether like this.