Another attempt at "I don't get it"..and another failure...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

We like what we like, and we don't like what we don't......when it comes to The Alan Parsons Project, I sure wouldn't start with Tales, and then make a judgement about their music across the board. Talk about an album that will mess with your mind.......that album is reserved for occasions such as Halloween or seances. :faint:

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

If I want to listen to "un-fun" music (that is still worthwhile), Mahler is my main man. I probably play the Cowsills more, though.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I was listening to Absolutely Free earlier.

Zappa makes things very hard for the listener who doesn't come naturally to him. You have to work your way through all that smart-**** satire, the judgemental attitude (sometimes, FZ comes across as a sarcastic parent, sneering at the kids' playing 'pop' records on the family stereo), and (the biggest obstacle for me) the puerile humour. But once you get beyond that, there's lots of good stuff.

4. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I would say try this one with a good pair of headphones. If you don't like it, then definitely APP is not for you.
    [​IMG]
    I've found that either music moves me, or it doesn't, no matter how many times I give it a try. There's a lot of love out there for records I just don't like (White Album, Exile On Main St., Early Pink Floyd, etc.). But luckily, there's usually something for everyone out there, you just have to find it. I don't worry too much about what doesn't move me, and I don't worry at all about what other people like.

AudiophilePhil and DiabloG like this.
  5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

When my friend and I would vet potential band members I always asked how they felt about Van Morrison.

Who? Never heard of him. :thumbsdow
    Oooh,no,I don't like him.:thumbsdow

I know Brown-Eyed Girl :rolleyes:
    I love Van. :edthumbs:

That was just one indicator but to what we were trying to do it was sort of essential to know Van's music. Not how many songs you knew but the style and influences present in Van's music.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. It's not about the genres but about whether or not the music appeals to you. There are some of their albums that leave me cold or do nothing for me whatsoever. The first three I like (I'm not crazy about them but the first album is one I like a lot) but I always felt that TAPP was always more about form over content.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't get it threads: I don't get them. Personal taste is subjective. What works wonderfully for one listener won't automatically connect for others. There's no mystery here.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea with Zappa you need to realise that most of the time his tongue is firmly in his cheek, and yes sarcasm is a big tool lyrically and musically

Score17 likes this.
  9. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Wasn’t a retort, just a confirmation, smiley face didn’t seem to work.

10. laether

laether Forum Resident

yes and he doesnt really show his sentimental side at all...well maybe in guitar solos but so far song-wise "läther" (track) is very different and melancholy+sweet music from Frank. and yet he has to "ruin" it with this sarcastic ending...some sweet stuff also on grand wazoo, which is in my top5 from him.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Someone once asked him (Paraphrase) " sometimes it seems like you sabotage your songs" His reply was "I put that stuff in to make sure you're still listening"

laether likes this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree with the following, with the addition that in each post to spell out the full name in the first instance and follow it with the acronym in parenthesis, then just use the acronym in the rest of the post. That way, each post stands on its own. As an example, I posted the following in my post: "Alan Parsons Project (APP)" and then used "APP" through the rest of the post.

Something I do that is related concerns long album titles. With long album titles, I spell out the entire name of the album the first time and put it in bold print, and then use a truncated version (the first word or two of the album's name followed by three periods) throughout the rest of the post. As an example, I would write the name of the The Alan Parsons Project album "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" first, then write "Tales..." from that point on.

Comet01, bzfgt and Grant like this.
  13. Most prog rock leaves me cold even after repeat plays. Never understood what people see in Queen and U2 either - but willing to admit this may be failing on my part.

MTCIII65, vegafleet and DiabloG like this.
  14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yeah, I wouldn't start there unless I was a pretty big fan of E. A. Poe.

15. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I wrote the opening post....and am amazed that folk cannot seem to grasp the fact that I did spell full band name before adopting an acronym. Was the the reference to "The Alan Parsons Project" insufficient information?

Gdgray likes this.
  16. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

The Beatles. Completely overrated as far as I'm concerned. Not saying that they weren't good or even great, but they are far from the best band ever.

DiabloG likes this.
  17. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Why would anyone feel they have to give The Alan Parsons Project a really good try? They were just one of a thousand other dopey bands.

It's like throwing a dart in the middle of a library and feeling you have to read everything by whichever author it randomly hits.

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I've tried TONS of music that I do not like. This eventually gets me to music I DO like. No big deal. Heck even among the 5000 CDs I own, I would be hard pressed to really keep more than 500 (10%) in rotation. But then I also have 4500 CDs, I can play if I feel like something different for a change.

As for Alan Parson Project, I really only like I, Robot, Pyramid, The Turn Of A Friendly Card, and Eve. And as far as they go, I probably play only one or two of those in a 5-10 year period.

19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Harsh. But fair.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Hmmm...I think there may be another thread for this.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

One of a thousand other dopey bands? Well, I'm gonna say that's not really fair.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  22. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

True, that would be XTC. :winkgrin:

warewolf95, Thorpy and uzn007 like this.
  23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love The Alan Parsosn Project myself, but if you have those albums and don´t like the music... Then that band is probably not for you. No reflection on the band NOR you - the music just didn´t click with you.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Radiohead for me, too. I do get it. I just don't think it's anything to get excited about.

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Would it be more fair to say "One of a thousand other competent-but-unremarkable bands"?

danasgoodstuff likes this.