Another attempt at "I don't get it"..and another failure...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frimleygreener, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I strongly agree. I've often referred to Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon as an album I haven't been able to get into despite trying.

I think a possible factor is whether the music is from your time growing up. I think one of the reasons I haven't been able to get into Dark Side... is that I didn't grow up with the album. I first heard it in the mid-2000s when I purchased my own copy after hearing so much about the album. But as mentioned above, I just haven't been able to get into it.

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

You get the cojones award for that post.

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

For years now I thought I'd eventually "get" Twin Infinitives by Royal Trux (not that I tried much, I just put that off). Tonight I put it on--for about 20 seconds--and had a sort of revelation which sent me looking for one of these threads: it really just is no fun to listen to.

The only thing that still puts me off just a little bit is the horrible thought: "This is what people say about Trout Mask Replica!" Even that, though, is not enough to get me to listen to it again any time soon...

Fullbug likes this.
  4. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

That’s your loss.

Fullbug, jawaka1000 and bzfgt like this.
  5. bzfgt

I will go even further...I'm skeptical that anyone actually enjoys listening to this album...

Earscape, Fullbug and mark winstanley like this.
  6. bzfgt

Really! Strike my last post...now I feel like I have to try again. I will schedule that for 2022...

Eliminator Jr. likes this.
  7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Listening to something you don't enjoy in the hope that you will eventually enjoy it is a bit like self-flagellation.

Earscape and mark winstanley like this.
  8. bzfgt

Also, this goes a bit against the grain of a lot of the comments above but there's stuff I can't stand that I can understand perfectly well why people like. To take an example from above, it doesn't seem weird to me that some people like U2, but I don't dig it...on the other hand, some stuff I like I don't really know why, like maybe Steely Dan...

9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I get that it doesn’t speak to you. It’s certainly not for everyone. I thought you might enjoy my comment given my avatar. Hey, maybe you WILL be ready for it in 2022? If nothing else the lyrics are very playful and full of poetry.

bzfgt likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Believe it or not, Frownland has become one of my favourite Beefheart tracks.
    I am not sold on Trout Mask being a masterpiece, it is too patchy and stiff for my taste, but Frownland worked its way in and is really something I would call a classic

11. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell, Genesis and Yes would be 3 that always leave me cold.

Maybe I just don’t understand, but I prefer music with emotion or humour.

12. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Add me as another person who isn’t totally in love with that album. I get why it was influential and I can respect that, but I wouldn’t put it on (although I have a copy of it).

Same with Zeppelin.

Maybe I’m just massively missing something?

bzfgt likes this.
  13. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Wait ok — Joni has SUCH emotion. If you don’t like her that’s ok but she is so emotional!

pwhytey, elaterium and phillyal1 like this.
  14. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Royal Trux -- it is like they really really want to be a classic rock Seventies style band, but they just are not good enough , so they say "oh our music is really tongue in cheek '.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. bzfgt

I loved it as a child, and can see why people like it, and can enjoy every song one at a time on the radio or something (if there still was a radio), but the idea of it (DSOTM), or the thought of listening to the whole thing, bores me at this point in my life.

troggy likes this.
  16. bzfgt

That's all their other albums, arguably. This one is that (again, if that's how the others strike you) plus a lot of it sounds like some people randomly hitting their instruments at the bottom of a well 73 miles away...

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. bzfgt

I'm talking about Twin Infinitives by Royal Trux, TMR is one of my favorite albums...

EDIT: that's kind of striking since Frownland is one of the weirdest and probably least accessible on the album....

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Frank Zappa for me. I've tried more than once, even watched 2000 motels without enjoyment!

19. bzfgt

Wait--we're talking about Royal Trux, right? Just asking because your avatar is Beefheart and the last response seemed to think I was talking about Beefheart...

But if you did read me right, yes I chuckled when I saw your avatar...

20. mark winstanley

Sorry I misunderstood where you were at... I haven't even heard of that album lol.

I don't know, Frownland just really works for me lol

bzfgt likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

Yea I just had a quick listen to Royal Trux, that isn't going to work for me... Space invader sounds, moaning and rancid guitars probably won't do it for me no matter how many listens lol

bzfgt likes this.
  22. bzfgt

That description makes it sound better than it really sounds listening to it, too!

23. mark winstanley

lol

24. bzfgt

Usually when people talk about these things it comes out that they sort of dislike the album in question, but there are probably lots that sound great to me but I just don't really "get." For instance, Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk (the only one I've listened to by them). It sounds amazing, like an aural banquet. And the songs seem really deep and soulful. They just haven't grabbed me, I drift off after a couple minutes the few times I have tried...I have it filed under "I'll almost certainly be into this one of these days." In any case we shouldn't be hasty to equate "don't get" with "don't like, so far."

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Sorry, thought I was responding to your not getting Trout Mask. Fast and Bulbous!

bzfgt likes this.