Another Beatles thread. My BC-13 beatles collection is waiting for me at the post off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

There should be snippets of sound to be played when reading some messages.

These threads would have heavy breathing from Darth Vader all over it.

Hey Gorts, how 'bout a Vader smily?

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Ron.

For a complete lists of regular Beatles releases with no overlaps, check the link in my signature.

Avoid the empire's eforts to suck you into boots, alternates and the such.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I paid $15 for a VG/NM copy locally.

proufo, love the avatar.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello BOB.

It is a virtual armband. Will be black until we get rid of our current government (Venezuela).

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Now it may be time for some jazz titles, then later I'll switch back.:)

6. Ronflugelguy

Ther's ALWAYS some other music to go to collecting!!!!!!!:cool:

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

True BUT in the back of your mind.......

mud-:D

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

So, Ron, I agree with the other posts, you will need a few more vinyl titles to complete the set, let's see (for UK at least?)

'A Collection of Oldies (but Goodies)'
    'The Red and Blue Album'
    Singles and EP Collection
    Past Masters
    Live at the BBC
    Anthology 1, 2, 3 ("4") 'Well, she was just 17...)

Now let's talk mono versions...

Todd

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

10. Ronflugelguy

Anthology "4"???????????????:confused:

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

He was making a funny. I Saw Her Standing There

12. Ronflugelguy

I wondered how I missed that one!LOL:laugh:

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have a BC 13 I purchased this weekend (along with a Japanese mono White album) and when I opened it, all of the LPs were pressed in France. I thought that all of the BC 13 sets were pressed in the UK or Japan. Anyone have any information on this variation. Is this set common? Have I been had? Also, the Rarities LP is the US version. Help! :(

14. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Actually, this set was pressed in several other countries including, Germany, Holland, Australia and The Phillipines. I know that the German and Australian sets feature different artwork for some of the album covers. Unfortunately, I don't have any information relating to the French issue.

Since, I am looking at getting a blue box of my own, I would be most interested in information relating to the non-UK issues. Several people on this site have expressed a preference for the UK pressings over the Japanese pressings. But what about the German, French or Dutch pressings? Does anyone have sets from those countries?

15. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Interesting. I don't think you've been 'had' here. You have a French

Are your LP's on Odeon and Apple labels? Or is the set on black/silver Parlophone and Apple labels? Presumably the LP's have French catalogue no's? (beginnning with 2C or even just C). Now, I used to own the French rarities LP and it was the same as the US version.

If the LP's match the British LP titles but are French (with French cat no's) I suspect what you have is a 1980s issue of the box as by the early-mid 1980s the Beatles catalogue was more or less standardised across Europe and LP's were appearing on European versions of the UK Parlophone label. When the box first came out in France in '78 it would have had 'A Hard Day's Night' as '4 Garcons Dans Le Vent' and had a different sleeve to the UK LP. LP's before the White Album would also have had the Odeon label, not Parlophone.

Hope that helps.

Kipper

16. Ronflugelguy

WOW! We learn somthing new every DAY!:)

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

My latest BC-13 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I hope this one is as good as your's Ron.

18. Evan

Evan Senior Member

The LPs are on Odeon and Apple labels (Sgt Peppers on), except for With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale and Rarities which are on the black/silver Parlophone label. 'A Hard Day's Night' is listed as '4 Garcons Dans Le Vent' on the label, but not the record jacket. Some of the LPs are from the reedition de 1977 and reedition de 1978. The Rarities LP is a reedition de 1980, which makes this box set a 1980s issue as you suspected. All of the LPs have French catalogue no's beginning with 2C except for WTB, A hard days night, the white album and Yellow Submarine.

Still, I am a little disappointed. The box had nothing to indicate it was pressed in France and I was hoping for a UK Box set. Anyone know how French pressings compare to British ones?

19. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Evan

I wouldn't be too disappointed. The French pressings of Beatles I own are very, very good - almost on a par with the German and UK reissues from the same period (late 70s and early 80s). The BC13 was almost a 'standard' issue across Europe, with only some minor variations between the countries.

I've also got some early-mid 70s UK LP's that were actually pressed in France (White Album, Abbey Road, Blue album) and they are excellent. Put it this way, based on my experience of French pressings, if you did a blind listening test vs UK reissues from the 80s I'd be surprised if you could really tell the difference.

I'd say you most probably have a perfectly respectable set of Beatles LP's - based on my experience of the French reissues. I have a set of reissues from the early 80s and they too are excellent - there really is not much difference at all between these and the UK reissues from the same period. Again in a blind listening test, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Of course if you were comparing your French LP's to UK 60s originals or early 70s reissues there would be a difference - the UK pressings would be superior, I don't doubt that. If you're still not happy with the box, why not send/take it back to where you got it from?

You say 4 LP's don't have French catalogue numbers - out of interest what do they have? Surely a C-066 or something like that? I think at some point during the 80s the digit in front of the 'C' was dropped from a lot of the European (non-UK) pressings - in amongst some of my Italian LP's from that period the '3' doesn't appear in front of the 'C' on the cover but on the labels the cat no's all begin with 3C.

Cheers

Kipper

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I'm listening to the Doctor Ebbetts "UK EP Collection" right now. I'm pretty sure it was taken right from the blue box, and is on only two CDs (and includes mono and stereo MMT).

21. Ronflugelguy

I hope so too,Mike. I'm planning on playing some of my discs through my MAC 240 tommorrow for the first time!!!!!I've been listening to the 9 CD set of Art pepper at the Village Vangaurd through it all this last weekend, sounds great!!Can't wait to hear those tube beatles Lps!:thumbsup:

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

That sounds great. I'm planning a new turntable in a couple weeks then I'll start saving for a tube amp or preamp so I can hear them through tubes too.

23. Ronflugelguy

Which table?

24. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

At the moment I'm leaning towards the VPI Scout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.