Another Brand X'er gone. R.I.P. Robin Lumley 1948-2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

From Percy Jones:

Rob Lumley's health took a sudden turn for the worse a week ago. He went into hospital in Derriford, near his home in Tavistock, Devon, UK, for a quick operation, which had been scheduled, when he had heart failure. The bad news came in that same afternoon on March 9 th.

We've lost a friend and a great composer, and one of the main reasons that Brand X actually existed. Pete Bonas often referred to him as a “little instigating monkey”, who got the band to regroup as a four piece and part company with Island records. Even John, who had initially wanted to stick with the holdovers at Island, eventually was convinced to move when he realized that Rob had Phil Collins by his side, and was determined to make a deal over at Charisma records. Rob was good at wheeling and dealing, much better than John or I. He had a good business sense when it came to protecting the band's interests.

Robin had been living in Perth, Australia for decades with his wife Debra. He eventually moved back to the UK to retire on Dartmoor, and be near his daughter Jo. Still we never lost sight of each other over the years.

Those of you who have followed the band's recent struggles know that Rob and I got together to publicly call an end to Brand X and retire the band after John Goodsall died. Recently a few people have asked me to reconsider that decision, but I know in my heart that it was the right call. On that note I want to ask you all to join me in denouncing the tasteless and disrespectful abuse by the band's former managers who are continuing to steal our name and reputation on Facebook. It's illegal and needs to stop.

Rob and I, in the past couple of months, have filed detailed legal documents to secure the status of Brand X with respect to what can or cannot be done with our work in the future. I wish things hadn't come to this but they have.

Please join his lifelong friend and collaborator Jack Lancaster, our friend Danny Wilding, Rob's wife Debra, his daughter Jo, his friend Joe Whittaker, and myself, in paying our final respects to Robin, the musician, band mate, friend and creator.

Our Brand X website will be telling his story for his fans. www.therealbrandx.com.

Robin Lumley 1948-2023.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sad news. Brand X were a cool fusion band.

3. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

Just pulled Marscape off the shelf. Brilliant album.

4. dachada

dachada Senior Member

RIP. He played in many good records . I will play this tonight:

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Based on tracks like "Algon" and "Disco Suicide," I'd say that Lumley was the best composer in Brand X. A lot of the witty titles were also his.

6. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

RIP Disco Suicide is a great tune. I'm glad I got to hear it live back in 2017. I can't believe that John Goodsall is gone too.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

What a ****ing drag.

ytserush and Voodoo Chile like this.
  9. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Big fan of Brand X since the late 70's here. I'm sorry to read this news so sad!

sound chaser and Voodoo Chile like this.
  10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

RIP.
    I saw them on their US tour a few years ago and it was a really good show.

Finch Platte and Voodoo Chile like this.
  11. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Very sad news. RIP

Voodoo Chile likes this.
  12. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

Heart failure. Bummer. Just played Unorthodox Behaviour. "Nuclear Burn" is one insane cut. Percy's bassline is mondo. Then Robin executes that crazy Moog solo. Perfection. (Some guy called Phil Collins played drums...heard of him?)

The title track, the longest cut on the album, is sheer bliss. Nice use of panning: Goodsall's guitar solo on the left, Lumley's Moog dance on the right. I think that's my favorite track on the whole thing, though the whole album is superb (and produced & mixed so well).

R.I.P. Robin. :cry:

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. I have Marscape too

Xabby and Voodoo Chile like this.
  14. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

RIP. Brand X were one hell of a band and Robin was key to their great sound.

ytserush, sound chaser, Xabby and 2 others like this.
  15. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Thank you Robin Lumley.

As others have suggested, I think Robin was probably the main player in the Brand X sound. Also another idiosyncratic player in a band full of such instrumentalists. Never an over-reliance on Rhodes, string synth or MiniMoog, always moving effortlessly between keyboards and peppering their sound so tastefully. Robin was also a technically gifted player. He had a great look and always thought he would be a real cat. I would have loved to hang with those guys, it always looked like they were having a fun time. Searched out anything he played on, Marscape being the best of the bunch, aside from Brand X. I should see if there's any Lumley music I'm unaware of.

Is There Anything About is a Brand X album that seldom gets mentioned, but it is as good as their best for me. Robin really shines on this album, it doesn't sound dated and there's a bunch of really tasty synth sounds and playing. It will get played this weekend.

ytserush, klockwerk, DaveinMA and 2 others like this.
  16. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

17. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Forum Resident

Another goodbye to another great musician, really...

Here my Robin Lumley related records and CDs

[​IMG]

There's a hidden gem, a fantastic masterpiece with very special guests... "Peter and the Wolf" produced by Robin, with Jack Lancaster and Dennis McKay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Nice collection!

Voodoo Chile and klockwerk like this.
  19. ism

ism Forum Resident

Ugh, thank you for the musical good times. Rip.

Voodoo Chile likes this.
  20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

RIP. Remember the first time I heard "Unorthodox Behaviour", I was utterly knocked out.

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Very sad indeed.
    R.I.P. Mr. Lumley
    I listened to Marscape just a week ago...

dubious title and Voodoo Chile like this.
  22. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is my Brand X collection today. Sorry to say I lost some original cassettes. This was a hugely influential music for me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  23. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I have a lot of albums with Mr. Lumley on them. Salute! and rest in peace (well done).

Voodoo Chile and Xabby like this.
  24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Brand X one of my favourite bands

RIP Robin

ytserush, Xabby and Voodoo Chile like this.
  25. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Wow.... this hurts. Amazing keyboard player, writer, and producer... he was the producer of the early Brand X albums. I also have the Peter & The Wolf and Marscape records, both essential for fans of this kind of music.
    My favorite Brand X tune that he wrote is probably Disco Suicide. So melodic and catchy, and great playing by all.

Mooglander and Voodoo Chile like this.