Another Day, Another Paul McCartney Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmxw, Feb 19, 2021.

1. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Only didn't he say something about 90 musicians and singers? Or do you mean something else?

joy stinson likes this.
  2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Well, I’ve yet to get on many McCartney or Beatles threads without him or his fans or both being insulted....could I be seeing that here with your comment? Say, if you think his fans....gush, fawn and give over the top praise him and or his works...why are you even on one oft his threads? Instead, you should be on the threads of Radiohead, U2, punk bands, every current artist under the age of 50, etc. I don’t see these kinds of comments that you made here on threads for the artists and categories you listed...and I’ve been on some of those threads...

Now I as a McCartney fan, I like and have seen in concert some of those various folks you mentioned ...but you as an apparent....non McCartney fan ...but are oddly on a McCartney thread overly concerned about the praise he gets from some fans of his on the forum, folks on threads devoted to McCartney and you list folks you think attention he gets and takes attention away from ....

Could you be perhaps a thread crapper or maybe just a fan of all of those various other folks you mentioned and wanting them to get the praise you think Macca is unfairly getting or jealous of the attention Macca gets on a thread or all if the threads devoted to him? I see 99 in your user name..born then? Get busy creating threads for folks under 50...

You’d do way better creating individual threads for these other folks you cited instead of complaining about McCartney fans and their various failures as you see them in a McCartney thread because your complaint does nothing to advance interest in the other listed artists.

He gets an easy passage you say here? He and his various works are regularly flogged unlike any other Beatle and dissed repeatedly on Beatles and other threads and in comments on the forum in general as well as in much of social media and by folks on the forum commenting/complaining about him and/or his fans like you did here...His threads are regularly crapped..

LOL though....you quoted my remark in this box...speak of the d**** and....he appears.....lol.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    51IS, DmitriKaramazov, 905 and 3 others like this.
  3. joy stinson

The primitive delta roots blues song and the great early seventies hippie video...both slay.

dunkoid, 905, Loup and 1 other person like this.
  4. joy stinson

It’s the root of Wildlife...it, the different genres/styles Mumbo, love is strange and wildlife....side 2 continues ram type ballads..

5. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

This is just beautiful. Look at the gorgeous handwriting. And for a 10 year old, he has really quite sophisticated vocabulary. He was a bright boy, especially when you consider that this was BEFORE he had to take the 11+ to get into the grammar school. He must have done even better on that.

Paul McCartney's prize winning essay at the age of 10.
    [​IMG]

dunkoid, maywitch, Paulwalrus and 9 others like this.
  6. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

Lol!

7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Oh yes, this is good news. Not the massive 50th anniversary boxset of my dreams but good news.

joy stinson likes this.
  8. joy stinson

Yes...very articulate writing and beautiful penmanship for that age and, when I was that age, a teacher rightly called my handwriting..heiroglyphics...I have read his IQ is above average as he was tested in school....and it and his grades I think got him as one of the few into Liverpool institute on scholarship,...

905 and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It was released as single in 1975. It took a little time for me to find the single back in the eighties, but they were around if you looked enough.

jmxw and joy stinson like this.
  10. joy stinson

Is this the 45 single of letting go released in 75 you are talking about here? If so, I lucked up and got it then....as I have all/most? Of those old 45 singles before the cd era when I got totally lost ....I can’t remember the other side of the single but could look it up only...my singles are especially stuck way back...Yes...45 singles many times then were shorter than lp versions....My favorite version of letting go is from WOA, better yet rock show version, ....my top concert period...

jmxw likes this.
  11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Yes, the single mix. It was worth searching out specifically because it was a remix, and a significant one at that. My favorite version is still the album version, but it was nice to get that 45 too, which until the deluxe version, I only had as a needle drop.

Paul H, jmxw and tug_of_war like this.
  12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I had a look for a Chaos and Creation thread in which to post this question and surprisingly, there isn't really one, a couple of randoms that didn't make it past a few pages.

Soooo...as this is a general McCartney thread, I'll post my question here.

Why is Chaos and Creation in the Backyard regarded so highly by McCartney fans?

I have listened to this album about 10 times, I kid you not. And nothing about it clicks for me. I am finally giving up. I find it a very dull and dreary listening experience - a first for me where Paul is concerned. The only song I rate is Riding To Vanity Fair. It's the only album not represented on my extensive Macca playlist.

I'm genuinely interested in people's perspectives on this and 100% willing to be converted. Maybe I'm missing something? How can I get this album to unlock for me?

Edit: it's not because it's got 'slow songs'. I have a playlist called McCartney's Melancholy Songs which I have played to death. lol

13. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Need an all purpose Beatles thread too.

14. joy stinson

Only my opinion...but mainline, traditional Macca fans...always tend to worship his traditional style albums/songs, as opposed to albums more outlier that fans like me usually like, rrsw single original release, ram long before it became hip, wild life (which we agree is great but is the red headed step sis of ram), LT, BTTE, McCartney II, press to play, off the ground ( had to get on the forum to learn is disliked because that is one I expected traditional fans to like), driving rain, a weird but very Macca type kisses on the bottom, fireman, ....those outlier albums I have always liked.....lol. I always loved his esoteric, zany, most hated singles too, the now highly mocked, berated, quirky ones he had the guts to do...and I loved from the beginning...wacky, kooky Macca stuff...

Chaos is a very good album but IMO it is a mainstream Macca style, dark album IMO, like his ballads on the Let It Be album ...Traditional Macca fans love it like in the old days they loved tug of war though it’s status has fallen of late and like many of them still love flowers in the dirt....Chaos I think was recorded as analog? Am I right? ... and does not have the loud contemporary production style, as say of MAF. Nevertheless, I as a zany Macca lover, did immediately love chaos, though I prefer several of his 21st century albums to it....The album has a hymnal, serious tone to it.... I immediately had a few favorites on the album, as I have in all of his albums and they helped me eventually get into the rest of the album...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  15. joy stinson

I’d have no problem with if commenters wouldn’t degenerate into their battles of their favorite Beatle. I finally had to sadly learn to boycott Beatles threads or put half of the Beatles wars , versus commenters especially enjoying slagging Macca and his music on ignore ....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan Thread Starter

... and speaking of that single...

Let's talk a bit about "Oh Woman Oh Why".

Per Wikipedia:
    Upon release, "Another Day/Oh Woman, Oh Why" achieved a top-5 status in both the United Kingdom and the United States, reaching number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 2 in the United Kingdom in April 1971.[1][2][3][4] On the Cash Box Top 100 chart, which listed sides separately, the song peaked at number 55.[5] The song has also been praised for McCartney's impressive range of vocal pitch.[6]

The overall style of "Oh Woman, Oh Why" is that of a tense, blues rock song complemented by a fierce vocal delivery.[7][8] In addition, the song is paced by a drum rhythm which establishes a solid foundation upon which tight guitar lines interweave. Beatle biographer John Blaney praised McCartney's "rip-roaring" vocal performance for its grit and rawness.[7] Blaney also praises McCartney's "economical" bass line and Denny Seiwell's "thunderous" drumming.[7] Blaney does criticize the lyrics for "questioning rather than celebrating womanhood," stating that in this context the aggressiveness of the vocal performance is "particularly notable."[7]

Personally, when I first heard it [at the tender age of, I'm guessing, around 12], I really enjoyed the funky, bluesy sound of it. Now, between some of the lyrical implications [bolstered by the sound of actual gunshots [take that Phil Spector]] I find if mildly disturbing. I still love the sound of it, though... Anyone else find the subject matter ... troubling? How would you compare it to "Run For Your Life"?

Lyrics*:
    Oh, woman, oh why, why, why, why
    What have I done?
    Oh, woman, oh, where, where, where, where, where
    Did you get that gun?

Oh, what have I done?
    What have I done?

Well, I met her at the bottom of a well
    (Of a well)
    Well, I told here I was tryin' to break a spell
    (Break a spell)
    But I can't get by, my hands are tied
    Don't why I ever got her to try myself
    'Cause I can't get by, my hands are tied

Oh, woman, oh, why, why, why, why
    What have I done?
    Did you get that gun?

Oh what have you done?
    Woman what have you done?

Well, I am fed up with you lying cheating ways
    (Cheating ways)
    But I get up every morning and every day
    (Every day)
    But I can't get by, my hands are tied
    Don't why I want her to try myself
    'Cause I can't get by, my hands are tied

Oh, woman, oh, why, why, why, why
    What have I done?
    Did you get that gun?

Woman, what have I done?
    What have you done?
    What have I done?

*Are these the official lyrics? I always heard what is listed as "I ever got her to try" as "I even bother to try", but maybe I have been mis-hearing for the last 45 years... :shrug:

Durango88 and lavalamp3 like this.
  17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Off The Ground has really grown on me.
    That may be because I've exhausted everything else though. Who knows, perhaps that will happen with Egypt Station one day, but I wouldn't put money on it...

18. jmxw

Yeah, I think I found an MPL repress from the mid-to-late seventies, back in the late seventies... :righton: Loved it ever since!

joy stinson and Chief like this.
  19. jmxw

My brother and I found out it was a remix because there was a reference to in the Paul McCartney In His Own Words book by Paul Gambaccini in 1976. And the search began...

joy stinson and Chief like this.
  20. joy stinson

I had to listen to Egypt station several times...4 or 5 to like it..now I love it. I liked OTG from the beginning....the album as it was released but never liked biker. I don’t have that great OTG cd deluxe but discovered those mostly great songs online. I saw and really enjoyed the OTG tour and his voice was better than in the flowers tour, IMO OTG is a great chilled laid back hippie stoner type album and it’s his last one...earlier stoner type albums were IMO Ram, wild life, rrsw, LT.

21. joy stinson

I bought that book at the time. Still have it in my collection.

jmxw likes this.
  22. joy stinson

Boomer here got it at the time..I really tried to keep up then but got woefully lost with mid eighties maxi singles and cd singles....Hpu probably have the stuff I lack...

23. joy stinson

I got into repeated trouble with mom for repeatedly playing oh woman, oh why...wore my 45 down to the grooves ....as I hadn’t heard that high pitched male screaming before then...pre heavy metal...

24. jmxw

Same.

Well... actually, my brother bought it at the time and still has it. I found another copy through ebay or somewhere and still have that one... :cool:

joy stinson likes this.
  25. jmxw

I remember playing it for my dad, who was pretty musically hip. When he asked what it was, I told him it was a Paul McCartney b-side. He said, "It sounds more like a c-side." :laugh:

Paulwalrus likes this.