Another Day, Another Paul McCartney Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmxw, Feb 19, 2021.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

It was vocally why don’t we do it in the road on steroids....it then fell between the cracks as a b side single and was ignored by rock critics shilling that Macca didn’t do rock...

BellaLuna and jmxw like this.
  2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I also love Off the Ground, as released! I have sweet memories of the tour too!

— David

905 and joy stinson like this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan Thread Starter

Yeah, me too.

And in an alternate universe, with a decent video that could have been a hit song... :shake:

joy stinson, DmitriKaramazov and 905 like this.
  4. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Well, "Chaos and Creation" is one of my favorites. Why? Different reasons, but they are very personal. For me, music is a more a matter of emotion. So, if a song or an album touches me in any way - a rock song which gives me energy boost, a country or a blues song , delivered with so much feeling and pain, even if it is not the most interesting thing in terms of melody or chord progressing, can mean the world to me, as long as they are giving some sort of feel. It's difficult to describe, but it just feels right. It can make me smile, or make me feel sad - whatever.

So, how does that connect to "Chaos"? It touched me in a very unique way. "How Kind Of You" with its beautiful drone sound loops and harmonium, the wonderful fingerstyle guitar of "Jenny Wren", the mellow darkness of "At the mercy"... Chaos hit a nerve for me with its mellow tone. Released in September 2005, it was the perfect soundtrack for a beautiful autumn. It hit a nerve and resonated with me. I remember listening to it with headphones (and I listened to it 10 times a day, sometimes) and it always comletely dragged me away. I dived deep into it, pictured Paul playing all the instruments. There's so much going on. Even little things such as some clicking noise (from the keys, probably?) at the beginning of "How kind of you", which made this a very "alive" type of album for me.

Im not the type of fan who compares music only through its quality or genius compositions. That's why I can't say it's better or worse than "RAM" or whatever. First of all, it has to give me a certain feel. If I don't feel anything at all (beside annoyance and disliking, of course) , the song - as brilliant it may be - just don't resonate with me. So if that's the case, I just can't enjoy it. "Chaos" was probably not filled with emotion, but it definitely gave me some other great vibes and feelings.

I also have to say that I was 16 when it was released. And back then, it was the peak of my Beatles and Solo-Beatles obsession. Also, I had a fantastic time in my life, 2005 was one of the best years ever for me, and this album became the soundtrack.

Then there were the documentaries. The making of on the bonus DVD, the TV Special "Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road" and "Creating Chaos at Abbey Road". I was so impressed by seeing Paul playing all this instruments by himself - I read the story of SGT. Peppers at that time and being able to watch Paul using some of those same effects (loops and whatsoever) and gear - it just blew my mind and made me want to learn multiple instruments. I got into songwriting, recording - because of that album.

Therefore, I Iove this record. I can't even try to convince anyone to enjoy it, since this is a very personal matter. But for me, the songs, their arrangements, their feel are pure gold.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Wow, this is so beautifully written. Thank you for taking the time to respond so eloquently. Really enjoyed reading! Well, you've inspired me to go and have another listen that's for sure! I particularly appreciate you mentioning specific songs and describing in detail why and how they work for you. Now I will go to those songs and listen again with a different frame of mind, I think. I get what you say about the album resonating with you because that's how I feel about Wild Life. I can't even adequately describe what that album does for me. I didn't realise there were documentaries to go with the Chaos album. Might try and track them down, maybe there are some clips on YouTube.

6. Durango88

Thank you. :) Yes, it means the world to me. Glad you will give it another try, I hope you will enjoy it. :righton:

On Youtube, there is this gem:

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9d9Hd4IQE

Highly recommended ;)

The making of on the DVD was called "Between Chaos and Creation", but I can't find the entire movie on Youtube...only the 2nd and 3rd part.

7. joy stinson

I do think I saw a little bit of this documentary Durango is showing here....thus I corrected my original post stating I hadn’t...much later only a few years ago when trying to catch up on Macca on YouTube, I stumbled on lots of odds and ends stuff like part of this video ...Yes, Durango’s comments are always beautifully written.

Likewise, Durango is completely correct about associating certain albums or songs even eras with your peak Beatles and solo interests and with the good year of years of your life...For me it was an entire decade rather than a year, a decade when others but not me gave up on the solo Beatles, the seventies. As I’m older, it was the seventies, when I collected on with all kinds of older things the Beatles, the new solo Beatles things, and when I first saw two of them in concert and the decade that I was in middle school through college...Though I continued to collect on them along through 99, the seventies was my huge and best decade....

8. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I'm watching it now - great video - thanks! Just at the part where he starts singing 'I've got a Feeling' in that studio, and just after he's been talking about writing with John. Got all emotional... lol. That song is one of my top Beatles songs...like top 5.

joy stinson and Durango88 like this.
  9. joy stinson

Truly IMO his I’ve Got a Feeling vocal in let it be ...movie and in the rooftop was one of his very finest vocals...Extraordinary and powerful screaming...

10. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Now he's doing this gorgeous acoustic rendition of Things We Said Today - another of my faves. I wish I had a recording of this! It's just beautiful.

Edit: he forgets the lyrics!!! I love it!

Blackbird!! omg he sings this incredibly well still. What an amazing man he is.

joy stinson and Durango88 like this.
  11. Durango88

You've seen that there are 2 different videos I've posted, right? ;)

12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

@Durango88 I've just finished the video and I have to thank you again for your wonderful post and for the video recommendation. What a treat that was. I'm all overcome with emotion having listened to his acoustic version of a couple of my most treasured songs. And then Jenny Wren was so beautiful. Now I'm scared to give Chaos and Creation a listen in case I accidentally fall in love with it and start another album obsession. :laugh:

Edit: Yes, I've got the 2nd video lined up for tomorrow morning!

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

A true testament to one of McCartney's very best albums , certainly his most mature work.
    I was down on McCartney around this time period. He seemed to have gotten surprisingly bland to me.
    But one day I had to go for a hours- long drive and I wanted something new to play for the trip. Stopped into a local record store and scanned the new releases and there was ' Chaos and Creation ...'. Almost didn't get it but did.
    Hooked me right away and played it about ten times in a row. Fabulous.
    A great record.

14. Durango88

Very welcome, I'm always in for Chaos and Creation. :righton:

Nah, there isn't such a thing like too many album obsessions ;)

15. joy stinson

I was gonna say....no such thing as an album or music obsession being bad....no need to be scared of them, in my own view. That was me with ES....That’s what has kept me interested in Macca’s music so long....I got very behind around 2000 his his music and all music and didn’t catch up till retirement about three years ago and was amazed at how great most of his 21st century stuff is , though as a boomer, I have a special fondness for the Linda years and all of its music...

16. joy stinson

He’s had a very few overall mature albums IMO, such as TOW, flowers in the dirt, Faming Pie, but IMO chaos is definitely his most mature album...His other albums emphasize other issues like working through his Beatles breakup catharsis emotions, building his seventies band, exploring other musical styles in the seventies, PTP album in the eighties, etc...However, I’m usually more a fan of wacky adventurous Macca style stuff and his carefree Linda years hippie type albums. I need to keep re listening to MAF as it never clicked with me. I know you hate driving rain but I love it as overall is his last real rock album....

17. joy stinson

Listening to this great song from OTG deluxe cd .....man, don’t you wish he could sing like that now? ...but time stops for no man and he’s very elderly and doing well to still keep going and to produce music....

18. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Question for the collectors:

I have the Archive edition of Wild Life and I have the original mix from YouTube. Are there any other versions and/or outtakes from Wild Life I should be aware of?

joy stinson likes this.
  19. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

The Beatles and Paul being overrated theory has been going on since the 60’s. The fact they are still a topic is pretty cool. Don’t think Bts and Taylor Swift will survive 50 but could be wrong. And, my opinion its not like i dont like new music- I do - but tends to be EDM.

20. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

To me he doesn’t sound old on several III and ES tracks. And, im coming around to his old man voice - its somehow comforting!

21. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Nah disagree respectfully...every time i get on here there is a thread bomb from macca haters that goes on and on many times. He gets lots of love and hate. One thread the gent was comparing a band call Jethro or something to macca and The Beatles lol..But Wikipedia is my friend lol.

joy stinson and BellaLuna like this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan Thread Starter

Uhhhmm... as far as I know, Wild Life was not remixed.

Do you have this one [available for download from PM.com]:

maccafan, 905, joy stinson and 2 others like this.
  23. Anthony B.

Anthony B. Forum Resident

The “orchestra up” mix of “Dear Friend” has become my preferred version, what a revelation this was the first time I heard it. It’s a beautiful arrangement by Richard Hewson that evolves with each section, and it really works because the song itself is so sparse and repetitive. I wish this has been the mix chosen for the album.

Of course, Richard Hewson most notably did the orchestral arrangements for “The Long and Winding Road”, “I Me Mine”, “My Love”, as well as the entire “Thrillington” album. I believe he first worked with Paul on Mary Hopkins’ “Those Were The Days”, and James Taylor’s “Carolina In My Mind”.

24. Anthony B.

Anthony B. Forum Resident

Wonderfully stated, and I couldn’t agree more. I was 17 when this album came out; it was my first semester of college, and it had a profound impact on me. Every song on this record is incredible, the B-sides included. “I Want You To Fly” blew me away the first time I heard it - just great stuff all around.

25. Durango88

Yes, the B-Sides were fantastic! The last verse of "This Loving Game" where he hits the high note while singing "When love got hard and I had to pay"? Goosebumps, every time. Still, after all those years.

joy stinson likes this.